Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BBC Wilts Phone In ....  (Read 58282 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:47:34 »

Maybe he wouldn't have had such a scatter gun approach to signings though.

Might be bollocks, but I'm sure I read somewhere that he had signed almost 70 players (including loans) in the time he was at Swindon, and as we have subsequently discovered quite a few of those on very big pay.

The fact that he ended up with a pretty good team, doesn't take away from the fact that we pissed away a lot of money doing it (even if that money was sanctioned by Jezza).
Total of 41 players, beginning with Joe Devera and ending with Chris Martin. 28 signed on permanent deals, 13 on loan deals.

Didn't include Chris Smith.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:48:51 »

28 on perms is a lot, lot less than I imagined given the hissy fits and the duds we offloaded/paid off/loaned out.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:50:58 »

The scariest bit for me is that of that 28 only 9 remain at the club and 4 of those remaining weren't given squad numbers.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:53:57 »

The scariest bit for me is that of that 28 only 9 remain at the club and 4 of those remaining weren't given squad numbers.

I think most people accept it was inevitable given we were on the verge of administration after black pulled the plug. We all knew they'd be on a whack (perhaps not quite how high).

On a side note I was perusing the Coventry forum last night to see what they made of their situaiton. There was reference to a M*il article that suggested they would unload three of their highest earners, and the average wage was 8K a week. Leon Clarke was one of the three.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2384162/Coventry-sell-Carl-Baker-Leon-Clarke-Joe-Murphy.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:56:01 by Batch » Logged
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 15:56:55 »

Total of 41 players, beginning with Joe Devera and ending with Chris Martin. 28 signed on permanent deals, 13 on loan deals.

Didn't include Chris Smith.

Was bollocks then, even so 41 in 18 months is still quite some going
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 16:08:22 »

Think the 70 something was all deals - players in and out as well as pay-offs and new deals for existing etc. It came from the document on agents' fees as published by the Football League.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 16:19:25 »

Was bollocks then, even so 41 in 18 months is still quite some going
By comparison, we signed a total of 29 players across the two seasons prior to Di Canio's appointment - 17 players on permanent deals and 12 on loan deals. We spent quite a bit on transfer fees in that time though, Cuthbert, Austin, Caddis, Ferry, Ritchie, Flint and Benyon. The former and latter aside I'd say we got what we paid for.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #247 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 16:22:07 »

Benyon -how anyone thought he was a Charlie replacement implies them being on a hell of a lot of what Charlie is accused of dabbling in.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 16:28:36 »

28 on perms is a lot, lot less than I imagined given the hissy fits and the duds we offloaded/paid off/loaned out.

Correct.

And the biggest fees paid our were tribunal set i believe,Troy and Collins though someone may tell me different.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 16:34:54 »

Correct.

And the biggest fees paid our were tribunal set i believe,Troy and Collins though someone may tell me different.
The others were undisclosed but Troy and Collins will undoubtedly prove the most costly.

I was shocked to be reminded that we supposedly paid a six figure fee for Luke Rooney!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Sunday, August 4, 2013, 17:28:04 »

Correct.

Based on the publicly filed amounts, the agent fees may well be the biggest spend.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 12:36:22 »

Actions speak louder than words anyway.
Spot on. Sort this kind of shit out:

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=52081.msg1215653

and then spouting a load of guff on a phone-in might carry a bit more weight
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 13:50:46 »

Let's start a petition to get Nick Watkins back as CEO although Jed would want that
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 14:08:44 »

Spot on. Sort this kind of shit out:

http://thetownend.com/index.php?topic=52081.msg1215653

and then spouting a load of guff on a phone-in might carry a bit more weight

Two side to everything Paul......

Just been down to the ground - outside ticket windows open and two of them manned - queue about 3-4 people each.

Walked into the shop - 3 people in the queue.  Managed to get a shirt, collect my ST and buy my tickets for the game tomorrow inside 5 minutes.

Absolutely great service as far as I can see - much better that you can do it all in one place.  Last season I would have had to go to the shop to get my shirt, and then to the ticket office and queue for tickets and ST.  Not saying that was a major ball ache or anything - just that it was nice to be able to get it all sorted so easily.....

Wise men say........
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Monday, August 5, 2013, 14:20:23 »

Two side to everything Paul......

Just been down to the ground - outside ticket windows open and two of them manned - queue about 3-4 people each.

Walked into the shop - 3 people in the queue.  Managed to get a shirt, collect my ST and buy my tickets for the game tomorrow inside 5 minutes.

Absolutely great service as far as I can see - much better that you can do it all in one place.  Last season I would have had to go to the shop to get my shirt, and then to the ticket office and queue for tickets and ST.  Not saying that was a major ball ache or anything - just that it was nice to be able to get it all sorted so easily.....
Sure. When it works, it works well - I bought my Torquay tickets without too much aggro and no blame attached to the people who work there who def seem to be doing their best with what is hopefully teething problems.

But the anecdotal evidence over the past few days has been that when it doesn't work, it's a mess, both online and in person. The other side to your side (if you see what I mean) is I bought my eldest the away shirt for his birthday, except it wasn't out by then, so he keenly awaited the "launch date" which was last Friday. Which was when they also decided to tell people to pick up their season tickets. So when my missus went in to pick up the shirt, well she couldn't get in the shop, because they were queueing out the door and some folks apparently had been there for up to 2 hours. So she went away and came back later on. Still took best part of half an hour just to pick up a shirt that had already been paid for.

Plenty of other examples in that thread and that I've heard of personally, as I'm sure you have. Hence the comment - it's easy to talk the talk, but so far, in terms of walking the walk, there's a lot of stumbling going on.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 5, 2013, 14:24:21 by pauld » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: