Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hewlett to Rovers & Playing Budget Slashed  (Read 6018 times)
Dazzza

« on: Friday, April 15, 2005, 20:50:45 »

First off on the Hewlett front Rovers would be a good move for the man.  Local and to a half decent side that should be up there next season, for all of the slagging we give him I think he'll do fairly well there.

Of more concern is the figure the WDP are quoting that King has to slash of his wage budget.  I wouldn't have thought the whole team are paid 200k a season let alone slash that off the budget!

Going back to a Mark Devlin interview a couple of seasons back he confirmed that there was no one on more than a wage cap of 1k.  Now realistically that’s the case for most of the current players with perhaps a few like Evans, Igoe, Roberts and Parkin on a fair bit more.   That’s approximately four high earners salaries over the season.  Worrying stuff indeed.  No quotes on where those figures come from but it’s not the sort of thing that even the WDP could pull out of thin air so there must be some smoke to the fire as they say.

09:30 - 15 April 2005  
Matt Hewlett last night admitted he has probably played his last game for Swindon Town after he refused an 'unacceptable' contract offer. The midfielder revealed he was the unnamed player manager Andy King referred to when he announced Steve Book and Steve Robinson would also be leaving.

The Daily Press understands Bristol Rovers may be interested in the 29-year-old.

King has been forced to reduce this year's budget - it is thought by £200,000 - and Hewlett would have had to accept a big drop in pay.

He said: "I spoke to the gaffer about next year but the money that would have been on offer was unacceptable to me. It would have meant taking a big cut."

Johno

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, April 15, 2005, 21:17:27 »

crieky thats a hell of a drop. next season if we do anything it would be a miracle cause surely we just won;t be able to attract decent players on such small salaries
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, April 15, 2005, 21:32:46 »

The drop is annual which is misleading and somewhat sensationalised.  That works out as 4K a week approximately, which is not enormous, but it is significant.  I imagine that the wages of Igoe and Parkin, if they leave, will be used to make up these cut-backs.

Have mixed feelings on Hewlett leaving, but really think we need someone better in that role next season if we're going to progress.
DMR

« Reply #3 on: Friday, April 15, 2005, 21:41:48 »

That's crap, he wasn't offered a new deal...
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, April 15, 2005, 23:13:12 »

It now says on the offical site, that King didn't offer Hewlett a contract. Someone got the truth wrong. :?

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
DMR

« Reply #5 on: Friday, April 15, 2005, 23:20:52 »

I win  Cheesy
jim

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 06:02:52 »

Quote from: "Walrus"
The drop is annual which is misleading and somewhat sensationalised.  That works out as 4K a week approximately, which is not enormous, but it is significant.  I imagine that the wages of Igoe and Parkin, if they leave, will be used to make up these cut-backs.

Have mixed feelings on Hewlett leaving, but really think we need someone better in that role next season if we're going to progress.

but if everyone's conjecture is right, that works out at 4 players to go doesn't it?
adje

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 09:38:42 »

Quote from: "blinkpip"
It now says on the offical site, that King didn't offer Hewlett a contract. Someone got the truth wrong. :?

The truth is never wrong Grasshopper

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 09:52:07 »

Quote from: "adje"
Quote from: "blinkpip"

The truth is never wrong Grasshopper

My comment didn't really make any sense did it.  Oops
(Like most of my posts Smiley )

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 10:59:39 »

Quote from: "jim"

but if everyone's conjecture is right, that works out at 4 players to go doesn't it?

No because its been stated some players are now on more than 1K a week.  I would estimate the likes of Igoe and Parkin are on closer to 2K, so it won't hurt us as much.  If we have to shed 4 players from the first team, we're in big trouble as we'll have a threadbare squad.
jim

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 11:12:45 »

Quote from: "jim"

No because its been stated some players are now on more than 1K a week.  I would estimate the likes of Igoe and Parkin are on closer to 2K, so it won't hurt us as much.  If we have to shed 4 players from the first team, we're in big trouble as we'll have a threadbare squad.

Wait and see!
Wait and see what Parkin goes for - I expect everyone here is in for a shock.
Wait and see who does and who doesn't stay
Panda Paws

Arse

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 12:24:57 »

Good or bad shock?
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 13:36:05 »

It's a massive cut, 20% of the playing budget. :?
jim

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 17:35:38 »

Quote from: "Chris K"
Good or bad shock?

Chris

See what I meant!
http://www.thisisstfc.co.uk/forum_new/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21133
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, April 16, 2005, 17:46:25 »

King said that the board would  accept 300K for SSP,  presumably although unstated because there was no choice.

With around a 3rd to Chelsea.....the 200K still represents a net gain of 10K for King on transfer deals over his time here....which is reasonable.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: