Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 ... 203   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The new, new manager thread. Thread closed.  (Read 282134 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2025 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 09:09:59 »

Quote from: DiV
"Gordon, a quick word"
"Rapid"
Velocity wasn’t it?

yeah. my bad
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #2026 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 09:13:42 »

If picaretta is on the cards why not throw a possible Di Canio return into the mix...

I'd be very happy with Picaretta and caddis, Si Ferry come in later on and get the band back together.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2027 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 09:15:02 »

Not sure that a handful of people on here represents 'most' town fans JJ. I guess that going back to something that fans know and love is comforting. I personally am open to whomever the club see fit to take us into the future, but i totally see and respect your point.
Not just here mate, Facebook, Twitter etc as well, all I see is post after post saying wouldnt it be great to get Paolo back, or Si Ferry or Paul Caddis without thinking about the whole picture, what has Caddis (for example) ever achieved as a coach/manager? same for Fabrizio Piccareta? other than being PdC's assistant.

Or the call for Charlie Austin to come in as manager (yes it is a thing on social media).

I want the BEST candidate for the job irrespective of his Swindon Town history, someone who will get a squad together of players and play some good football (preferred) and win games and get us out of this league asap.

Some fans do think with their hearts and not their heads and you cannot do that in football, it almost always ends badly.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kaufman

« Reply #2028 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 09:20:04 »

For the record I said it was a great rumour, wasn’t shouting for them to come back.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #2029 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 09:29:27 »

For the record I said it was a great rumour, wasn’t shouting for them to come back.
Indeed you did mate but it wasn't aimed at you, as you rightly state it is a good rumour.

I have seen many people suggesting he would be "ahem" great, based upon 1 and a half seasons as assistant manager at Swindon?

Also there is renewed clamour for Luc Nijholt again, something that raises its head every time we need a new manager.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #2030 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 09:33:02 »

Calderwood was one of my favourite players. No way would I want him as a manager! But if I (as a middle aged fat bloke) were playing footy down the park, I'd be happy to have him in my side!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2031 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 09:42:43 »

Not just here mate, Facebook, Twitter etc as well, all I see is post after post saying wouldnt it be great to get Paolo back, or Si Ferry or Paul Caddis without thinking about the whole picture, what has Caddis (for example) ever achieved as a coach/manager? same for Fabrizio Piccareta? other than being PdC's assistant.

Or the call for Charlie Austin to come in as manager (yes it is a thing on social media).

I want the BEST candidate for the job irrespective of his Swindon Town history, someone who will get a squad together of players and play some good football (preferred) and win games and get us out of this league asap.

Some fans do think with their hearts and not their heads and you cannot do that in football, it almost always ends badly.

Fans in liking ex-player shocker!
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #2032 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 09:55:15 »

Still don't understand why many if not most Town fans want an ex player/staff member as new manager.

I would prefer a clean break with someone brand new to the club.

Probably just me thinking that though.
It's not just Town fans. I would guess fans of every club in the land want the same thing when the manager's role becomes vacant, and it's a perfectly natural thing to want. Ex-players (or ex-staff) that had reasonably successful periods with a club and are fondly remembered, as well as have fond memories, are likely to have the desire and passion to succeed and, more importantly, stay loyal, that someone with no previous connection would have.

It doesn't always work out of course, but better the devil you know...
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2033 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 10:01:39 »

what has Caddis (for example) ever achieved as a coach/manager? same for Fabrizio Piccareta? other than being PdC's assistant.

A much of muchness with the rest of the candidates for Piccareta, I should think.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #2034 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 10:10:38 »

I have no problem with Clem doing due dilligence on the prospective new manager at all, I would rather he appoint the best person he and Sandro consider to be the right person, coaching, media and management wise.

But I do hope, as a fan, we appoint fairly soon so we can plan ahead for next season and tie up some new players so we can finally get back to looking forward to next season.

I do not want it to drag on like Charlton did with appointing Garner.

I still think it will probably be a manager/coach from Academy/U21/U23 level making his first go at managing, and almost certainly someone we will either have not heard of before or who has played against us in L1 or L2 previously in an uninspiring career before becoming a coach and working his way up the coaching levels until becoming an academy manager/coach at a Championship level side as most of the academy coaches/managers in the Premier League seem to be on huge wages that we could in no way match.

Also.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-paul-harsley-swindon-24195112

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2035 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 10:32:46 »

Even taking into account social media it's still a tiny fraction of the actual fanbase, and usually the vocal ones on these places tend to just like the sound of their own voice.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2036 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 10:37:59 »

Even taking into account social media it's still a tiny fraction of the actual fanbase, and usually the vocal ones on these places tend to just like the sound of their own voice.

Also will be vocal over all the different platforms
digby

Ignore
« Reply #2037 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 11:33:58 »

After reading the latest Adver piece 'Sandro Di Michele on transfers and recruitment style at Swindon Town' it seems to me that his and Clem's philosophy on player recruitment and playing style could come possibly across as a 'bit too strong' and put off  prospective head coaches.   Eek

It may give them the impression that they're going to be slotted in to the machine that is STFC, and could stifle their own creativity and style, which obviously make it a less appealing opportunity !

or maybe it's just me interpreting it that way, ah well !  Hmmm
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2038 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 11:40:14 »

After reading the latest Adver piece 'Sandro Di Michele on transfers and recruitment style at Swindon Town' it seems to me that his and Clem's philosophy on player recruitment and playing style could come possibly across as a 'bit too strong' and put off  prospective head coaches.   Eek

It may give them the impression that they're going to be slotted in to the machine that is STFC, and could stifle their own creativity and style, which obviously make it a less appealing opportunity !

or maybe it's just me interpreting it that way, ah well !  Hmmm

…on the flip side thats an easy ‘excuse’ for a manager who doesn’t do well here…’just a small cog in the machine’ ‘didn’t have control over xy & z’ ‘given players I didn’t want’ etc
Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #2039 on: Saturday, June 11, 2022, 12:29:14 »

If would end up with an iffy decision...

"Absolute Calamity!"
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 135 [136] 137 138 139 ... 203   Go Up
Print
Jump to: