Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 ... 211   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 380047 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #2475 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 08:10:50 »

I don't understand the charlie bashing.   He's not the reason were in this shite, we're just a really poorly run club.  
3 managers in 18 months all with poor records shows that.

100%
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2476 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 08:11:32 »

Also, can’t sit here and say he’s earning too much and we could get three players in for that wage because you don’t know what he is or isn’t earning…
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #2477 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 08:19:42 »

Also, can’t sit here and say he’s earning too much and we could get three players in for that wage because you don’t know what he is or isn’t earning…

There's plenty of sources online that estimate it to be approx 3,500 a week.

You can chose to not believe that if you want. But I'd say it's pretty par from a premium player in this league.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #2478 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 08:23:06 »

You've still got to score pens.

Charlie isn't the problem at this football club.

Clem Morfuni is.

Yes Clem is the main problem but that doesn't mean everybody gets a free pass.

If Charlie Austin was named Brett Pitman and playing the exact same way since he arrived, he'd be getting absolutely crucified by our fan base.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2479 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 08:32:27 »

I think it would almost be the opposite.

If he wasn’t called Charlie Austin one of, if not the most natural finishers most of us have ever seen he’d probably get a lot more kudos for his support play.

I think he’s doing ok for the team but he isn’t doing what we’re expecting him to do - getting on the end of things in the box…

…but then people on here didn’t rate Paynter who was an excellent support striker for both Cox & Austin. So what do they know?!
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #2480 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 08:35:24 »

Yes Clem is the main problem but that doesn't mean everybody gets a free pass.

If Charlie Austin was named Brett Pitman and playing the exact same way since he arrived, he'd be getting absolutely crucified by our fan base.

I’d say he’s been part of an extremely effective forward unit.

Our midfield and defence however…
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #2481 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 10:03:05 »

I’d say he’s been part of an extremely effective forward unit.

Our midfield and defence however…

Yes, however:

Flynn at the beginning of the season wanted us to be a pressing side. Austin can't press. So we can't defend from the front effectively.

At the weekend, Kokolo, Kemp and Young were pressing as a 3. Austin always has to drop into midfield because he can't do that. Yes I understand the argument he's being over played etc which doesn't help.

Then, for some strange reason, he'll waste energy tracking back. I've seen him in the fullback position plenty of times. I don't know if that's just his complete lack of faith in anybody being able to defend but it's a bit of a shambles. We need Austin going forward not trying to be everywhere.

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #2482 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 10:17:29 »

Usually when Austin drops into midfield, his contributions are stellar and intelligent - his passes in behind for Kemp to run onto come to mind.

Recently I don't think his work when deep has been nearly as effective. There was one point on Saturday where he won/intercepted the ball brilliantly but seemed to not know what to do next, he ended up holding onto the ball for a bit too long and then giving it away. I think he's playing with a bit of fatigue/frustration currently. He can certainly be an asset for the side, but when the chips are down, it's not really happening for him. As captain I guess he feels more responsibility and why he's maybe getting a bit more of the focus on him currently.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2483 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 10:23:42 »

Austin’s been shit for months

Things get better but they never get good
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #2484 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 10:33:29 »

I would have given FBT the captaincy tbh but hard to take it away from Austin now without upsetting him. I think CBs often have a good view of the game whereas having a striker as a captain means they are having to look backwards and spend less time focusing on scoring.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #2485 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 10:35:59 »

Ironically I think Austin has been similar in some ways to Dokes & FBT.

He’s been very effective at other things, but less so at his actual job (scoring goals).
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #2486 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 10:43:43 »

He was getting opportunities at the beginning of the season.

Could've had about 3 or 4 at FGR for example.

But he's not even a threat anymore. Only when Hutton plants a cross directly on his head.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2487 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 12:45:55 »

Didn’t he start off with 3 in his first 2 games before Jody Morris entered the building?

He played well under Gav/Mildy, both times they had a go.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #2488 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2023, 13:02:39 »

I think he’s doing ok for the team but he isn’t doing what we’re expecting him to do - getting on the end of things in the box…

Well,he is getting on the end of things a fair bit but unfortunately that is the end of things generally speaking

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #2489 on: Thursday, November 16, 2023, 12:29:43 »

I'm sure Austin did not expect to be playing every game this season - I suspect the reason his form has dropped recently is he needs a rest and to not be playing 3 games a week sometimes.

But we have nobody to play in his place - Young & RHM as a partnership don't work and RHM's form seems to have dropped of the side of a cliff alongside our poor results, to the fact I think recently when he comes on he does not add anything but make the team weaker
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 ... 211   Go Up
Print
Jump to: