Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 ... 211   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Squad List (2023/24 Edition)  (Read 380154 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1380 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 12:18:30 »

I really can’t fathom why anyone would want to keep Brewitt and Darcy. Neither are good enough for a side after promotion in my opinion.

Brewitt is OK as a fourth choice Centre Back in a squad where you have four plus a youth prospect.  Clayton would be number two or three, depending on what we could bring in.

Darcy is pointless.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1381 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 12:37:38 »

I think Darcy could be an okay L2 back up #10. He most certainly isn't a 'CM' or anywhere near starting XI but he at least shows energy and work rate unlike Shade.

What is odd is that Aguiar last season looked better than Darcy ever has this year. A real shame he hasn't kicked on.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1382 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 12:52:12 »

And that is the problem - Darcy is not a player in the squad in isolation - he is one player competing for the tippy tappy passing orchestrator role along with Williams, McEachran, Khan, Cain, Aguiar.  You probably need a couple at most in the squad and McEachran/Khan are probably the two you keep around assuming Williams moves on.  That then provides the squad space for the grunt we need in midfield.  You can't have five players for every role filling out the squad and taking all the budget.  It's a squad death by a million cuts/players.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #1383 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 12:55:40 »

You could say the same for Jephcott that you say for Austin, obviously different scale but also a completely different age.

I don't disagree - it's just he's not our player.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #1384 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 12:57:18 »

Think of last season:

Galdwin/Williams - Reed - Payne

That midfield was not quite good enough - it was decent on the ball and Payne did give it some energy, with Reed being free to QB.  However, it was still weak in defence and exposed us too often even when we dominated possession.  It didn't really have enough goalscoring threat (Williams doing much better this season on that front).

It also had no back-up, so we dropped off quite quickly if they were out.

We still really missed some sort of midfield presence.

I think we need two or three new midfielders, which means we would need to creatre squad and wages space for them.  No time for keeping around maybe players/back-up to the back-up's.  McEachran is your sellable asset you develop, Khan can maybe be polished a little.  The two other ones should be your first names on the team sheet types.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #1385 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 13:07:53 »

I don't disagree with any of that and we absolutely have to use our money better next year. We've spent literally hundreds of thousands this year on players who have played next to no minutes.

We are crying out for a couple of Alan McCormack/Jonathan Douglas/Anthony Grant types.

adje

Ignore
« Reply #1386 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 13:55:41 »

Given we do have a better goal scorer already here, I'd suggest we keep that player out of the two, if we can.

I'm assuming we intend to keep Austin. No problem in having both of them for me especially as he has a career scoring rate of 1 in 3, many of them at the next level up. Not sure what level of striker we are hoping to attract at League 2 level . Obviously depends on what Argyle want for him though

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1387 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 13:58:26 »

Thought the Jephcott deal has been pre-agreed in January.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1388 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 14:06:53 »

Even better!

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1389 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 14:13:59 »

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/23260827.luke-jephcott-unlikely-sign-permanently-swindon-town-january/

According to this article we didn't make the deal permanently in January. It states as his contract runs out in July, we could pick him up for nada then. Although because he's only 22 I'm sure we have to pay them some kind of 'development' fee if they offer him a contract don't we? Although as Plymouth are going to be in the Championship maybe they will waive the likely nominal fee and just release him as he's clearly not wanted there.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #1390 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 14:17:23 »

The fee was agreed in January, the personal terms were not offered by Swindon at the time.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1391 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 14:27:57 »

And hence could still not go ahead.

Not sure I get the sudden clamor to sign tbh.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #1392 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 14:29:45 »

Our fans have pleaded for years for us to tie down players for longer. We've done that and now we're stuck with players we don't want.

I don't remember anybody complaining about the Cain signing. Transfer fee, 3 year deal. Happy days. Now in hindsight maybe it wasn't so good. We aren't going to get them all right. He might come good yet.

I personally don't detest Sandro as many do. I think he's working to the remit he's been given. Go out, identify young players who can improve. sign them. It's not up to him to coach them. If fans aren't happy with the model, Clem is as much to blame. He employed him.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1393 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 14:32:09 »

I don't remember anybody complaining about the Cain signing.

Didn't know anything about him when he arrived tbh.

He's been, er, benign when he's played.

But he has hardly played. There is still time
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1394 on: Wednesday, April 26, 2023, 14:52:30 »

And hence could still not go ahead.

Not sure I get the sudden clamor to sign tbh.
Wouldn't call it "clamour". Seems to be only me!  Have my reasons tho!

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 ... 211   Go Up
Print
Jump to: