Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A name isn't everything...  (Read 1889 times)
Northern Red

« on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 16:52:59 »

Has this Cureton and Thorpe business taught us anything?

Like a name isn't everything, it's the ability to find a player who playing well and not a player with a previously good reputation...

I think we as fans should be slightly ashamed at gawping over the 'big' names of Thorpe and Cureton being unveiled in the summer. Brisotl City have suffered in the same way - signing big names rather than useful players (Bridges, Stewart)

Thoughts?
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 16:55:42 »

think you right, but of course everyone is pulled in by a name.

sam parkin is a great example of an unknown player suddenly coming up and doing the business.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 16:55:54 »

I agree in the respect that it makes the fans expectation of the team too high pre season.

If it doesn't go to plan, the fans are quicker and more likely to start opposing the team/manager, whereas with smaller named players - the expectation isn't as great.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 17:00:06 »

Names are exciting. They bring anticipation and expectation. It gets the crowd buzzing and maybe draws a few more to the game (if the name is big enough). Generally names have proven themself and are less of a risk than untried players.

Of course this can be a double edged sword. Flops cause mass dissapointment and large wage bills.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 17:05:27 »

Quote from: "Batch"
Names are exciting. They bring anticipation and expectation. It gets the crowd buzzing and maybe draws a few more to the game (if the name is big enough). Generally names have proven themself and are less of a risk than untried players

Thats reminds of the flop of Lloyd Opara from Grays Athletic.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 17:12:59 »

Quote from: "Northern Red"

Like a name isn't everything, it's the ability to find a player who playing well and not a player with a previously good reputation...

I think we as fans should be slightly ashamed at gawping over the 'big' names of Thorpe and Cureton being unveiled in the summer. Brisotl City have suffered in the same way - signing big names rather than useful players (Bridges, Stewart)

Thoughts?

agree to a point but mooney and woan recently were big name players that did well for us didn't they
Dazzza

« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 9, 2005, 17:19:30 »

I think I’m now pretty much of the mindset that the only sort of player we are likely to ever sign, certainly for the foreseeable future, is of the unknown quantity.   The only difference being whether it’s unknown by name or having unknown form.

Must admit I was as guilty as anyone of being buoyant about the signing of Thorpe and Cureton.  

Both came as first choice signings and to be fair Thorpe had been thought of as very unlucky last season with his first long-term injury in his career ruling him out while Cureton had been unspectacular but promising.

With hindsight I don’t think we should have picked both up at the same time, playing two small out and out poaching strikers is always an uphill struggle.  Still you only have to look at Cureton to see that there is a good player in there and although we are past the point I think the same can be said for Thorpe.

I do agree that perhaps King gambled a bit too much this season on the unknown front.  One of things I’ve said through pre to early season is the drastic lack of experience in the side over the past 12 months.

Whalley. Thorpe, Cureton, Shakes, Nicolau, Comwyn-Platt, Smith all had probably less than a season between them in the 12 months prior to signing.

Add to that our own band of youngsters where even the likes of O’Hanlon, and Ifil have only got the one full season behind them unless things go right from the off you’re asking for trouble.

Red Chris

« Reply #7 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 14:53:45 »

Quote from: "dazzza"
I think I’m now pretty much of the mindset that the only sort of player we are likely to ever sign, certainly for the foreseeable future, is of the unknown quantity.   The only difference being whether it’s unknown by name or having unknown form.

Must admit I was as guilty as anyone of being buoyant about the signing of Thorpe and Cureton.  

Both came as first choice signings and to be fair Thorpe had been thought of as very unlucky last season with his first long-term injury in his career ruling him out while Cureton had been unspectacular but promising.

With hindsight I don’t think we should have picked both up at the same time, playing two small out and out poaching strikers is always an uphill struggle.  Still you only have to look at Cureton to see that there is a good player in there and although we are past the point I think the same can be said for Thorpe.

I do agree that perhaps King gambled a bit too much this season on the unknown front.  One of things I’ve said through pre to early season is the drastic lack of experience in the side over the past 12 months.

Whalley. Thorpe, Cureton, Shakes, Nicolau, Comwyn-Platt, Smith all had probably less than a season between them in the 12 months prior to signing.

Add to that our own band of youngsters where even the likes of O’Hanlon, and Ifil have only got the one full season behind them unless things go right from the off you’re asking for trouble.

Spot on!
fatbury

« Reply #8 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 14:58:44 »

Cureton can still do the biz ... just get him back!
Red Chris

« Reply #9 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 15:01:14 »

Cureton needs to be given one last chance to prove himself, if he fails we could put his precious playing certificate or paperwork on ebay to the higest bidder....
Northern Red

« Reply #10 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 15:03:28 »

Quote from: "arriba"
Quote from: "Northern Red"

Thoughts?

agree to a point but mooney and woan recently were big name players that did well for us didn't they

Mooney was a money grabber who happened to have a good season while he was here for all of one season - could've so easily gone the other way though and he could've been like Thorpe...
fatbury

« Reply #11 on: Monday, December 12, 2005, 15:03:54 »

give him 3 games to prove himself on his return ... if he doesnt score .. sell him to Colchester - before the deadline ends
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: