Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Walsall Matchday Thread  (Read 20565 times)
Tamworth Red Army

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 07:29:14 »

Long may the 433 stay and well done the boys and Garner for changing it up 👍🍻
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 07:30:21 »

Why on earth would he change it
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 07:32:31 »

Davison is a pretty big upgrade on Simpson.

Simpson had all the gear and not much idea. Not his fault, first season playing pro footie he was bound to be a bit raw. The difference now; when the ball is played into Davison I'm confident it will stick. When it's in the air I'm confident he will win his fair share and he has the work rate to match. He knows how to use his body and has good awareness of what's around him. Shows what an extra few years of pro footie does for you. Simpson will no doubt go on to have a good career but I'm selfishly happy with how it turned out.

Simpson is a better footballer.
Davison is a better team player.

Imagine them both upfront. It’s been a long time since we had a big man / big man striker partnership
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 07:37:21 »

Pre-match predictions from the Walsall forum...

If we can lose 7 on the spin in this dividion we can also win 7.

Score prediction is for a Desmond 2-2 draw, played on 22/2/22.

I think it will be a draw. 1-1

We should be very confident after wins against the top 2 . 2-1 to the saddlers

Our last 5 all had just one goal in it. I’ll go for a 3-3 draw then.

With the team full of confidence now id go for a cheeky 1-0 win

Free swing to be fair. If we win, great. If we lose, oh well it was a game too far.

We always take an impressive away audience to Swindon and tomorrow will no doubt be another. Would be delighted with a point against one of the divisions heavyweights and an extension of our unbeaten run.

2-1 Walsall UTS

Fancy us 1-3 tonight , no idea why!

3 wins on the spin against arguably the best 3 teams in the league might be too much to ask so any result here would be a massive credit to the lads

2-1 to the saddlers.

2-0 win

Think this will be a game too far (hope im wrong ) sone brilliant last 2 games

A rather different mood as the game progressed and post-match...

These have only won 4 at home all season you wouldn’t have thought it seeing this.

They are a different class going forward

How are these not second? Way better than Northampton and Tranmere.

Getting schooled here big time.These are better than Forest green surely?

The Swindon players attitude is spot on 5-0 up and still closing players down they’ve been exceptional tonight.

Swindon are one of the divisions heavyweights and as such they have assembled an impressive side and were excellent.

Credit to Swindon, they were swift, decisive, direct and skilful in their use of the ball and their movement off it. Their finishing was first class. They were also not afraid to put their foot in - Kinsella being the recipient of at least four unnecessary challenges. Swindon had complete control after they went two up and bossed all aspects of the game.

The main difference for me was the Swindon forwards, they were were so connected to each other, so imaginative not to mention how skillfull they were.

I suppose it's understandable that they'd come into the game with some confidence, btu surprising how few of them thought we might get the win. Also a few comments about them being shafted by Barry coming to us instead of them, as if a stint at the bottom of L2 is what he needs for his development. Still, I'm sure we're guilty of the same at times.

As for us, it was a rocky first 20-odd miniutes as Walsall came out strong and it looked like it would be a real battle between two confident teams. It seemed like their confidence went with the first goal and the life was sucked out of them by the second just before HT.

Second half we were in total control and it was a joy to watch. I think Payne will come in for Aguiar or Iandolo at some point, but both have done well in recent games giving us choices in the midfield. Reed is pivotal to this side, Davison looks a great addition and if Barry can keep last night's standards up for the rest of the season we should be looking at play-offs minimum.

Great to catch up on the top 3 a little and our GD is looking strong too. On top of that, over 9,000 home fans on a Tuesday night is a great turnout and shows what a difference the past couple of weeks have made. Fair play to Garner for finding a solution, and with most of our upcoming games against teams in the bottom half perhaps we can mount an assault on the auto spots... Wouldn't have thought that would be possible after the Exeter and Tranmere games but here we are!
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 07:43:10 »

Where on earth would jack payne fit into this current team line up...may need to wait for an opportunity or impress off the bench

That is the joy, we have players to come in that have quality.
Most interesting decision is if the 433 is for keeps?
Bench is strong and players fighting for their place. It’s positive for sure 👍

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 07:54:50 »

Best performance of the season so far. Everything just clicked. The goals were superb and players are really starting to grow and improve. Davison was brilliant I thought leading the line and unselfish in his work. This was a game where the philosophy of the manager worked perfectly.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 08:17:24 »

A lot of people laughing at all the ‘Garner out’ posters but I don’t think many out right said they wanted Garner sacked.

Err, if you at any point have said 'Garner Out' (apart from ironically like in this thread) then his sacking is exactly what was being advocated.

This is why I always hedge my bets and advocate managers being given more time.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 08:24:18 »

I have read back mostly but can't remember seeing it mentioned - their no.9 putting his studs into Cooper's back after a tangle in our box (first half). I was right in line with this and it definitely looked like a lash out, but maybe I'm wrong given it hasn't really been acknowledge (and the lino totally ignored it).

Fucking loved Barry's first goal (always loved power over placement) but his second was class as well, great composure and finish for a young lad. He really impressed me tonight, and I will admit I was guilty of being critical after Scunthorpe as I thought he made some poor choices - which in hindsight was unfair of me, he is only young after all - but thought he was quality tonight, a really exciting player.

Also got man-love for the pass Reed picked out McKirdy with second half, only the angle that beat McKirdy in the end I think, but the vision for the pass gave me a semi.

Aguiar was class. I picked Barry for MotM but Aguiar totally deserving too.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 08:46:24 »

Err, if you at any point have said 'Garner Out' (apart from ironically like in this thread) then his sacking is exactly what was being advocated.

This is why I always hedge my bets and advocate managers being given more time.

I didn’t mean people who had specifically said the actual phase ‘Garner out’ I was more so on about those who had in discussion speculated as to whether his long term future should be at this football club.

Saying ‘if Garner can’t adapt his tactics and style of play - then we should think about moving on from him’ is a world apart from ‘We’re not winning enough, he should be sacked now’
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 08:51:41 »

I have read back mostly but can't remember seeing it mentioned - their no.9 putting his studs into Cooper's back after a tangle in our box (first half). I was right in line with this and it definitely looked like a lash out, but maybe I'm wrong given it hasn't really been acknowledge (and the lino totally ignored it).

Fucking loved Barry's first goal (always loved power over placement) but his second was class as well, great composure and finish for a young lad. He really impressed me tonight, and I will admit I was guilty of being critical after Scunthorpe as I thought he made some poor choices - which in hindsight was unfair of me, he is only young after all - but thought he was quality tonight, a really exciting player.

Also got man-love for the pass Reed picked out McKirdy with second half, only the angle that beat McKirdy in the end I think, but the vision for the pass gave me a semi.

Aguiar was class. I picked Barry for MotM but Aguiar totally deserving too.
The incident with Cooper definitely looked a bit naughty and I wonder if his saving grace was that he didn’t make much contact. If he had, the reaction from Cooper would have been much bigger and impossible to ignore.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 08:58:09 »

A joy to watch.
Refreshing to see that sometimes size doesn't matter.

The game was won through matching Walsall's effort & tempo in the first half.
Might have been a different result had we been slightly off & started slowly.
Earning the right to play as they say.

I suspect that one of two of the more experienced heads might be needed for the run in.
In the meantime just let this team, average age just over 22, just have fun and play.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 09:02:01 »

Simpson is a better footballer.
Davison is a better team player.

Imagine them both upfront. It’s been a long time since we had a big man / big man striker partnership

I'm not sure either is really BETTER than the other, that's entirely subjective. I feel that Davison gives us something that Simpson couldn't which is the ability to win the ball in the air and lay it off. Simpson was brilliant at holding the ball up and running with it. They're just slightly different players.

Simpson's still very raw. He has the potential to be terrifying. I hope we sign both of them!
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 09:06:56 »

I'm not sure either is really BETTER than the other, that's entirely subjective. I feel that Davison gives us something that Simpson couldn't which is the ability to win the ball in the air and lay it off. Simpson was brilliant at holding the ball up and running with it. They're just slightly different players.

Simpson's still very raw. He has the potential to be terrifying. I hope we sign both of them!

Them, McKirdy and Barry as a strike force in L1 OMG!
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 09:32:21 »

Wow, that was absolutely fucking rampant wasn't it? Best home performance I think we've seen in a long time. Obrien and Cooper rock solid, commanding/leading from back and winning everything. Thought they tried to attack Hunts side (most teams are now) and he was shaky early on but grew into the game really well. No need to change anything about the defence.

Reed makes it all tick, can thread a pass from outta nowhere. Class tackle for the goal also. Aguiar took those finishes like someone who's been doing it for 10 years- unlucky not to get his hat trick I thought.

Barry first goal was class. Grew into game and was a menace all night - thought we got it wrong signing him after his first few but I hope he keeps proving me wrong. Davison class, didn't stop running and was effective in doing so, deserved a goal to go with his two assists.

14 games to go, 6 of them sides being in the top half....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #284 on: Wednesday, February 23, 2022, 11:56:53 »

Actually fuck that. Ban me if you want. The Garner out brigade were pretty vocal after the Tranmere game. 11 scored with none conceded in 3 is a decent repost.
I don't want, it just pissed me off that in every thread we win since Tranmere there will be a post or more about ironically Garner Out, and its pointless and needless.

Not that many actually called for Garner to be sacked, 90% just wanted him to change things, which he has done, and successfully too as my post after the game suggested.

There were many question marks about his managing style after 2 wins in 12 games culminating with an utter debacle vs Tranmere. He has responded by changing things, which has obviously worked very well in the last 3 games.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: