Pages: 1 ... 457 458 459 [460] 461 462 463 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1217482 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #6885 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 13:38:29 »

Not scared of dying from it - I think that's extremely unlikely.

But the thought of spending the rest of my life out of breath and suffering from all the other symptoms is hardly appealing. Also concerned about my Nan.

It's more about other people really - which is mostly why I wear a mask. Not trying to make myself out to be a saint but if more people had the same concern the situation would unlikely be as bad as it is.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6886 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 15:29:06 »

It may have essentially vanished, but it has quite the workforce https://bylinetimes.com/2021/01/05/government-total-number-private-sector-test-and-trace-consultants/
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6887 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 16:21:47 »

Strangely Guido Fawkes and the right wing press are not wetting their pants about this one... funny that!

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/05/jacob-rees-mogg-broke-covid-rules-by-crossing-tiers-to-go-to-church-13851547/
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6888 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 20:06:31 »

I know I keep going on about the How To Vaccinate the World podcast but it really is very good. The current episode is an interview with the superbly named Larry Brilliant, one of the epidemiologists behind the eradication of smallpox and he explains why mass vaccination might not work (but if it doesn't strategic ring vaccination will), why test trace and isolate is still very important and why we as a species need to change the way we interact with the natural world if we want to avoid further pandemics. The next one might be even worse if we don't

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000qz3p
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6889 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 20:16:49 »

I assume it’s sort of thing you have on in background while working as opposed to listening in leisure time?

This isn’t a dig by the way just general curiosity. I find 15 mins of news/current affairs so depressing these days and I’ve never really been like that
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6890 on: Tuesday, January 5, 2021, 22:36:46 »

I assume it’s sort of thing you have on in background while working as opposed to listening in leisure time?

This isn’t a dig by the way just general curiosity. I find 15 mins of news/current affairs so depressing these days and I’ve never really been like that
No I only have music on when I'm working. I do a fair bit of running and walking, so tend to listen to pods then. Roughly 50/50 split between football and just general interest stuff with a heavy leaning to science and history. This comes in the latter category. While it's clearly relevant to current affairs, it's a step back from the shit on the news, and much much more informed (not a high bar) as well as actually quite optimistic (in the circumstances). Definitely worth a listen.

Ignore
« Reply #6891 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 07:50:49 »

Apparently 1 in 50 have it now. The decision to allow people to gather on Christmas day is reaping what was sown it would seem.
A crazy decision by the government followed by selfish, stupid moron's who would do anything if 'Boris said so'.
How the obvious couldn't be seen by those in charge when taking advice of "experts" then what the fuck were the clueless sheep going to do?

« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 07:56:59 by Arriba » Logged
REDBUCK

« Reply #6892 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 08:05:07 »

I get the impression that these numbers are based on pre xmas day mingling and spreading. Xmas effect not fully accounted for yet, numbers likely to get worse for a bit yet.

Madness.  Crying
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6893 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 08:25:27 »

the average delay between test and result is just under 3 days.

if we allow 7 days for the virus to show itself we should be in Xmas day territory now.

we've still got illicit new years eve gatherings to come
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6894 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 08:34:27 »

Apparently 1 in 50 have it now. The decision to allow people to gather on Christmas day is reaping what was sown it would seem.
A crazy decision by the government followed by selfish, stupid moron's who would do anything if 'Boris said so'.
How the obvious couldn't be seen by those in charge when taking advice of "experts" then what the fuck were the clueless sheep going to do?

They did see it, they just didn't care. As always, they put politics before health.
Barry Scott

« Reply #6895 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 08:56:43 »

Been a bit ill with a tight wheezy chest, a cough and cold like symptoms for a few days. Step-son has tested positive, so off for a test today. Went to the supermarket last night shopping as well. *prick*
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6896 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 09:21:02 »

Been a bit ill with a tight wheezy chest, a cough and cold like symptoms for a few days. Step-son has tested positive, so off for a test today. Went to the supermarket last night shopping as well. *prick*

Let's hope your test is clear Barry and that your step son makes a quick recovery

So, give no fucks
Barry Scott

« Reply #6897 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 10:04:36 »

Let's hope your test is clear Barry and that your step son makes a quick recovery

Thanks. He’s fine. We laughed at him for getting a test because his symptoms were like a 24 hr sick bug.

He was in bed for most of Sunday, vomited quite a bit and was fine within a day. He only got a test due to his health anxiety. Turns out he was right - albeit purely by luck.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6898 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 11:08:23 »

Hope you and stepson recover quickly Barry
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6899 on: Wednesday, January 6, 2021, 11:11:25 »

A US Congressman has tested positive for COVID, a couple of weeks *after* receiving the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Similar with a nurse in California last week apparently. Obviously these are just two isolated cases, not sure how widespread it is as a phenomenon (people getting infected after first dose, but before second), and even with two doses there will still be some who become infected.

https://twitter.com/RepKevinBrady/status/1346655894759682054
Pages: 1 ... 457 458 459 [460] 461 462 463 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: