Pages: 1 ... 441 442 443 [444] 445 446 447 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1217407 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6645 on: Monday, December 21, 2020, 13:34:03 »

Its all very contradictory Paul. Even the first sentence

But the Government say it may be up to 70% more so.

I'm not sure the advice from the scientists is very contradictory (although they may seem to be at variance with the alarm coming from the govt). But they are rightly being cautious until they see some confirmed evidence. It has been suggested that the govt may find it convenient to blame a supermutant new variant for the alarming spike in cases running out of control, rather than failed policy. That's not to say that the new variant isn't more transmissible, it seems likely that it is. But many scientists seem bemused at the way this particular set of mutations is being called out, as opposed to the many hundreds if not thousands that have likely already occurred in the UK and across the world.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6646 on: Monday, December 21, 2020, 14:04:55 »

I'm not sure the advice from the scientists is very contradictory (although they may seem to be at variance with the alarm coming from the govt). But they are rightly being cautious until they see some confirmed evidence. It has been suggested that the govt may find it convenient to blame a supermutant new variant for the alarming spike in cases running out of control, rather than failed policy. That's not to say that the new variant isn't more transmissible, it seems likely that it is. But many scientists seem bemused at the way this particular set of mutations is being called out, as opposed to the many hundreds if not thousands that have likely already occurred in the UK and across the world.

German scientists have confirmed that they were equally aware in September but seem a little bemused why its causing mayhem here and not over there, with caveat of still needing more from UK they seem to have limited concerns that this will affect the vaccinations and actually unsure whether the mutation is 'good' for the virus long term or not.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6647 on: Monday, December 21, 2020, 16:18:03 »

Swindon heading for Tier 3 as cases rise alarmingly.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6648 on: Monday, December 21, 2020, 16:23:24 »

Swindon heading for Tier 3 as cases rise alarmingly.

The 7 day rolling average went down yesterday (yeah it was Sunday, shhh)

Its inevitable isn't it, what with new variant being in Berkshire, the London exodus and Crimbo.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #6649 on: Monday, December 21, 2020, 16:39:38 »

The whole country will be back in lockdown in January, so they’ll be able to make another balls up of the tier system again in February.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6650 on: Monday, December 21, 2020, 16:42:12 »

The 7 day rolling average went down yesterday (yeah it was Sunday, shhh)

Its inevitable isn't it, what with new variant being in Berkshire, the London exodus and Crimbo.

Not sure, this new variant seems loathe to go beyond London its like a black cab driver.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #6651 on: Monday, December 21, 2020, 17:10:48 »

Not sure, this new variant seems loathe to go beyond London its like a black cab driver.
Other coloured cab drivers are available.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6652 on: Monday, December 21, 2020, 17:12:11 »

soapy tit wank:)

more seriously for a sec, if only that was true Horlock

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/wales-new-coronavirus-strain-update-b1777107.html%3famp
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #6653 on: Monday, December 21, 2020, 17:54:37 »

Just watching Boris doing his evening statement.

His hair style today is reminiscent of Bernard Bouffant.

Take your chips and fuck off home.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6654 on: Monday, December 21, 2020, 20:37:01 »

Just watching Boris doing his evening statement.

His hair style today is reminiscent of Bernard Bouffant.
See the BBC showed worzel gummidge immediately before the presser, was pretty difficult to tell when one ended and the other started...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #6655 on: Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 09:37:41 »

Re the new strain, this is quite a short read in laymans terms.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/science/21-12-2020/siouxsie-wiles-just-how-worrying-is-the-new-covid-19-strain-for-britain-and-the-rest-of-us/
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6656 on: Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 10:36:33 »

"If there’s one good thing to come from the emergence of B1.1.17, it’s that it might have given the UK the kick it needed to do more to control their outbreak. Or at least given Boris Johnson somewhere else to lay the blame for ever increasing case numbers."
I think we have already seen which of those two paths the govt have chosen to take. This new strain was already responsible for over 60% of cases in London in early December, well before the govt started it's public agonising over whether to undo the "five day truce" for Christmas. They knew then that this was happening and still tried to carry on with what was clearly a hugely irresponsible opportunity to allow the new strain to continue to spread nationwide when they should have been introducing Tier 4 etc back then. If the message hasn't sunk home by now, it's pretty clear: this govt doesn't care about containing the virus, just the blame.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-variant/explainer-the-new-coronavirus-variant-in-britain-how-worrying-is-it-idUSKBN28V1MM
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #6657 on: Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 11:19:38 »

After a trip to the supermarket this morning I have changed my mind. It's the oldies and chavs who are worst for social distancing. I'm done with shopping this side of Friday.  Crash
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #6658 on: Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 11:58:31 »

After a trip to the supermarket this morning I have changed my mind. It's the oldies and chavs who are worst for social distancing. I'm done with shopping this side of Friday.  Crash

We went to Sainsbury at 6am yesterday for this very reason. Was a decent experience aside from one non-mask wearing wanker wandering around the shop on the phone to (I assume his wife/gf) someone asking ‘do we need any tinned items, do we need ham’ etc etc.

We’re nicely stocked up now for a bit.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Flashheart

« Reply #6659 on: Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 12:06:51 »

There's been an explosion in cases in Samut Sakhon, which is a province next door to Samut Prakan, which is where I live.

The schools in the area are already closed and events are being cancelled left right and centre. A lockdown is looking increasingly likely.
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 443 [444] 445 446 447 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: