Pages: 1 ... 411 412 413 [414] 415 416 417 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1217035 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6195 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 17:12:41 »

Good point well made Paul
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6196 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 17:18:06 »

Good point well made Paul
Or "slightly thin joke grossly overstretched" maybe?
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #6197 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 17:26:55 »

Or "slightly thin joke grossly overstretched" maybe?

Which is coincidentally a suitable way of describing the current government

I come from a land down-under
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #6198 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 18:12:00 »

Thats news to me. Where have you heard that?
Been looked at by a parliamentary committee already...

https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/9253/pdf/
Hunk

« Reply #6199 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 19:00:57 »

Thanks.

That report seemed to me to be suggesting you can justify vaccinating reasonable, logically thinking adults against their will because it is legal to administer treatment to those sectioned under the mental health act. If that's their argument for enforcing vaccinations upon people I don't think there is anything to worry about, thats not going to stand up to scrutiny, no way no how
Flashheart

« Reply #6200 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 19:03:03 »

I think people should be made to have the vaccine but that reasoning is awful.

Surely the safety of the population would be a more solid reason for it?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6201 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 19:17:45 »

I'm treating that report with the utmost caution, since there's no context as to why it was written.

I'd imagine compulsory vaccines would be a very last resort for the government.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6202 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 19:25:05 »

That's evidence to a parliamentary committee from 3 academics urging that course of action. They will also have heard evidence from others pointing out why such a course of action would be disastrous on both legal and public health grounds. Parliamentary committees take evidence from a range of experts of varying and differing views on a whole range of subjects precisely so that they can get a range of views on a subject before coming to a conclusion and making recommendations. Which then in turn may be ignored by govt. Just because such evidence has been heard it's completely disingenuous (not to mention a total misunderstanding of how the Parliamentary committee system works) to suggest it's in any way likely to be actually adopted.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #6203 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 19:25:58 »

I think people should be made to have the vaccine but that reasoning is awful.

I am not an anti vaccine type individual but I am slightly troubled by this

Nothing to see here
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #6204 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 19:27:24 »

Ditto.
Hunk

« Reply #6205 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 19:32:04 »

Me too. I'll take the vaccine willingly if asked and it's shown to be safe, but I'd never support it being compulsory. That does not compute
Flashheart

« Reply #6206 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 20:55:06 »

I think people should be free to do what the fuck they want to do, with the caveat that they do no harm to anybody else.

Anti-vaxxers are not benign, they are dangerous. Their actions directly cause other people to fall ill or even die - and that's no exaggeration.

If they can't be made to have a vaccine then other people should at least be allowed to take precautions to keep themselves safe. Parents should be able to send their kids to schools that insist on vaccines, work in workplaces that insist on vaccines, go to entertainment venues that are safe, and so on. I get that enforcement would be challenging to say the least but the principle should be there at least.

It's all very well allowing people the right what to do with their own bodies, which I am all for, but what about other peoples' rights to not be killed by idiots? I think the rights of the latter group trump the rights of the former. By some margin.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #6207 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 21:09:01 »

I think people should be free to do what the fuck they want to do, with the caveat that they do no harm to anybody else.

Anti-vaxxers are not benign, they are dangerous. Their actions directly cause other people to fall ill or even die - and that's no exaggeration.

If they can't be made to have a vaccine then other people should at least be allowed to take precautions to keep themselves safe. Parents should be able to send their kids to schools that insist on vaccines, work in workplaces that insist on vaccines, go to entertainment venues that are safe, and so on. I get that enforcement would be challenging to say the least but the principle should be there at least.

It's all very well allowing people the right what to do with their own bodies, which I am all for, but what about other peoples' rights to not be killed by idiots? I think the rights of the latter group trump the rights of the former. By some margin.

You are, naturally, entitled to your own view on this.  I do not share the view that I should be compelled to take a vaccine where little or nothing is known about it.

I do not subscribe to conspiracy theories or extreme views on vaccines or other similar treatments.  As far as I am aware, I have received all of the 'usual' vaccines as have my offspring.  I am prepared to take anything provided it is with informed consent (which is currently important principle in England and Wales).

Nothing to see here
Hunk

« Reply #6208 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 21:36:40 »

I'd have more sympathy with your point of view if the vaccine was firmly established to be safe, but even with a vaccine such as the flu jab which is generally considered to be so, there doesn't seem to be a clamour to segregate those who have had it from those that decide not to.

If I put on my Orwell hat I cant help but recoil at the thought of the government physically forcing people to inject themselves with drugs no matter what the reason, or manipulating society in such a way that they feel they have no other option. Thats a completely different ball game from insisting people wear masks
« Last Edit: Monday, November 9, 2020, 21:38:11 by Hunk » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #6209 on: Monday, November 9, 2020, 21:45:52 »

I'd have more sympathy with your point of view if the vaccine was firmly established to be safe,

I didn't think I'd need to explain the obvious caveats that it should be safe, etc. Of course it should be, I would not for one moment expect anything to do something that could be harmful to them.

Pages: 1 ... 411 412 413 [414] 415 416 417 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: