Pages: 1 ... 297 298 299 [300] 301 302 303 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1217035 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4485 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 10:06:55 »

as an aside, have the government stopped doing daily updates?
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #4486 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 10:11:35 »

as an aside, have the government stopped doing daily updates?

Weekends have been stopped.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4487 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 10:31:49 »

We could do with some graph/stats on the latest figures. Be interested to see the R number prediction too.

Ignore
« Reply #4488 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 10:47:18 »

Had a self employed tradesman proudly tell me he's had a 4.5k payment from the government and will get another 4k payment shortly. This fella has continued to work during the virus. How the fuck is this right? Money for fuck all whilst others in normal employment still work, get no extra and will have to suffer the consequences afterwards.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 8, 2020, 10:50:03 by Arriba » Logged
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4489 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 11:01:56 »

Had a self employed tradesman proudly tell me he's had a 4.5k payment from the government and will get another 4k payment shortly. This fella has continued to work during the virus. How the fuck is this right? Money for fuck all whilst others in normal employment still work, get no extra and will have to suffer the consequences afterwards.

This isn't fraudulent, this is how the self-employment support is meant to work - people can carry on working (unlike for PAYE employees), but will get some financial support in anticipation of them having less work over the period. Of course, some people will probably do better than they normally would as a result of this, but when designing interventions as quickly as they did, you're never going to be able to get a perfect system. Plenty of people fall through gaps, some get too much support.

Would hope that anyone genuinely better offer as a result of the support gives the money back or to charity, but there are always going to be some who won't.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4490 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 11:34:04 »

Correct. It's based on 80% of trading profits. HMRC are introducing checks too. The 4.5k will relate to Mar to May and the 4k willrelate to Jun to Aug. That'll be all.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #4491 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 12:12:05 »

I gather that the Colston statue was erected to thank him for his charitable contributions to the City and not as a marker of his involvement in the slave trade.

Just read that the plaque with the Colston statue says ""Erected by citizens of Bristol as a memorial of one of the most virtuous and wise sons of their city."

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4492 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 12:18:37 »

Not sure I referred to war memorials or similar. I referred to the act of burning flags per se.

A much better thing is to be more like the demobbed soldiers in the Swindon Peace Day riots of 1919..... they took exception to SBC shelling out £250 on a flagpole to commemorate the official end of the Great War, and so burnt the pole if not the flag.  Then had 3 days of looting and occupying the old police station in Eastcott Road. Their gripe not much sign of a land fit for heroes.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4493 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 12:20:02 »

How many on here have visited the Colosseum in Rome?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #4494 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 12:34:50 »

Arriba, Ive taken a 7k grant and will have another one.  Ive also had 9 weeks of work.  Unfortunately as I work in live music I may not have any more work until January.  Or possibly beyond that. 

The criteria for getting the grant is that you have lost work because of the pandemic and the restrictions.  Im not turning it away.  Im not pissing off on a holiday or buying a new car because I don't know if I will be able to earn again for a very long time. 

I hope Im back working in October.  Cant see it happening, but rather than just declaring bankruptcy Ill take any support I can.  at 49 I have never taken a penny from the government in unemployment or housing benefit.  Or Universal credit or any other benefits like that.

There is very little that I will praise this government for but this is one thing I will hold my hand up and say fair enough, you've done what I suggested to you so well done.

Never knowingly overstated.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #4495 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 12:35:44 »

A much better thing is to be more like the demobbed soldiers in the Swindon Peace Day riots of 1919..... they took exception to SBC shelling out £250 on a flagpole to commemorate the official end of the Great War, and so burnt the pole if not the flag.  Then had 3 days of looting and occupying the old police station in Eastcott Road. Their gripe not much sign of a land fit for heroes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p01qb45n

Ignore
« Reply #4496 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 12:39:02 »

This isn't fraudulent, this is how the self-employment support is meant to work - people can carry on working (unlike for PAYE employees), but will get some financial support in anticipation of them having less work over the period. Of course, some people will probably do better than they normally would as a result of this, but when designing interventions as quickly as they did, you're never going to be able to get a perfect system. Plenty of people fall through gaps, some get too much support.

Would hope that anyone genuinely better offer as a result of the support gives the money back or to charity, but there are always going to be some who won't.

I've used 2 tradesmen during the covid crisis. Both are quids in as they've worked as normal. There are winners and losers just as in life and I don't think that's right. Might not be fraudulent but it stinks when others are getting nothing or are really struggling at the moment.

Ignore
« Reply #4497 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 12:41:42 »

Arriba, Ive taken a 7k grant and will have another one.  Ive also had 9 weeks of work.  Unfortunately as I work in live music I may not have any more work until January.  Or possibly beyond that. 

The criteria for getting the grant is that you have lost work because of the pandemic and the restrictions.  Im not turning it away.  Im not pissing off on a holiday or buying a new car because I don't know if I will be able to earn again for a very long time. 

I hope Im back working in October.  Cant see it happening, but rather than just declaring bankruptcy Ill take any support I can.  at 49 I have never taken a penny from the government in unemployment or housing benefit.  Or Universal credit or any other benefits like that.

There is very little that I will praise this government for but this is one thing I will hold my hand up and say fair enough, you've done what I suggested to you so well done.

I think it's good thing too but it's open to abuse and that's what doesn't sit well with me when some are getting nothing.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #4498 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 12:50:24 »

Well a bit like the DFE laptops for disadvantaged kids, well intentioned, but a right fucking lash up that wasn't thought through properly.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4499 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 12:51:19 »

Weekends have been stopped.

Oh right ta, didn't spot today's in BBC1 scedule earlier...its there now.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 8, 2020, 12:53:47 by Batch » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 299 [300] 301 302 303 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: