Pages: 1 ... 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1217037 times)
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #4470 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:32:44 »

There is no fucking nuance about burning the flag on the cenotaph, no excuse, not one

I didn’t know the location tbf and only know it even happened through reading this thread.

Take the war memorial out of it, do you believe flag-burning can ever be justified?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4471 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:34:51 »

There is no fucking nuance about burning the flag on the cenotaph, no excuse, not one
Spot on.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4472 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:35:50 »

It was on a war memorial though, burning the GB flag on a war memorial is a fucked up thing to do whichever way you look at it and cannot be justified!

Which is why it has been rightly almost universally condemned, looking at Twitter for instance I cannot see anyone saying it wasn't an entirely fucked up and stupid thing to do. What I can see is a lot of the usual far right suspects making great political capital out of it.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4473 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:37:00 »

Not sure I referred to war memorials or similar. I referred to the act of burning flags per se.

Nothing to see here
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #4474 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:37:16 »

Take the war memorial out of it, do you believe flag-burning can ever be justified?

Not something I’d ever do but yes there would be probably be some circumstances where I could agree with the justification
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4475 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:38:09 »

I didn’t know the location tbf and only know it even happened through reading this thread.

No. That's not just the British flag either. Flags are just colourful fabrics but they symbolize a nation. Burning a flag is an act of provocation which causes division, it happens around the world. We don't want division do we?
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #4476 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:38:35 »

How would you react to somebody urinating on a grave?

Not sure I understand the nexus

Nothing to see here
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4477 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:39:39 »

What I can see is a lot of the usual far right suspects making great political capital out of it.

Which is one of the many reasons it was a stupid thing to do.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4478 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:41:54 »

Any flag burning should be restricted to this

* 17F5DC39-7CA9-446E-B451-34C4BF76DA46.jpeg (184.95 KB, 1080x608 - viewed 141 times.)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4479 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:42:21 »

Which is why it has been rightly almost universally condemned, looking at Twitter for instance I cannot see anyone saying it wasn't an entirely fucked up and stupid thing to do. What I can see is a lot of the usual far right suspects making great political capital out of it.
The same goes for the Churchill graffiti as well though and there has been a lot of support for that. Yes he wasn't a saint by any stretch but he was still voted the 'Greatest Briton' so clearly to the majority of the UK he is a respected figure and can't just have small mobs being allowed to do as they please, it's also an instant way of turning the silent majority against them.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4480 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:42:47 »

No. That's not just the British flag either.

He wasn't trying to light the British flag.

BTW did he actually achieve anything or did he just make a dick of himself like that bell end trying to burn the EU flag?
JBZ

Ignore
« Reply #4481 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:45:14 »

The same goes for the Churchill graffiti as well though and there has been a lot of support for that. Yes he wasn't a saint by any stretch but he was still voted the 'Greatest Briton' so clearly to the majority of the UK he is a respected figure and can't just have small mobs being allowed to do as they please, it's also an instant way of turning the silent majority against them.

I think most agree that this is a bit of an own goal.

Nothing to see here
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #4482 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:47:50 »

No. That's not just the British flag either. Flags are just colourful fabrics but they symbolize a nation. Burning a flag is an act of provocation which causes division, it happens around the world. We don't want division do we?

I agree, we don’t want division.

The EU flag was burnt (or attempted to be burnt - European safety standards actually made them hard to ignite) at pro-Brexit protests. I’m not at all saying this about you 4D but there are people who are apoplectic with rage at the burning of one flag who enjoyed the burning of another.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4483 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:49:51 »

The EU flag was burnt (or attempted to be burnt - European safety standards actually made them hard to ignite) at pro-Brexit protests. I’m not at all saying this about you 4D but there are people who are apoplectic with rage at the burning of one flag who enjoyed the burning of another.

Much the same as if one drew a venn diagram of those who got very excited about Saddam Hussein's statue being toppled now being outraged about the Bristol one.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4484 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:49:55 »

The EU flag was burnt (or attempted to be burnt - European safety standards actually made them hard to ignite) at pro-Brexit protests.

Smiley Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: