Pages: 1 ... 290 291 292 [293] 294 295 296 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1217257 times)
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #4380 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 19:43:30 »

Anyway. The point of all this is that a lot of football fans have experienced being policed differently just because we were identified as football fans. Not due to our behaviour but because of our identity. When it happens it’s dehumanising and can make you feel angry and that it’s unfair.

For many black and ethnic minorities (particularly black males 18-30), their lives are often like being policed as we experience being policed occasionally as football fans.  If you can get that, you’ll get the protests and why some people’s experience of policing in the UK is very different to others’.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4381 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 19:48:42 »

Anyway. The point of all this is that a lot of football fans have experienced being policed differently just because we were identified as football fans. Not due to our behaviour but because of our identity. When it happens it’s dehumanising and can make you feel angry and that it’s unfair.

For many black and ethnic minorities (particularly black males 18-30), their lives are often like being policed as we experience being policed occasionally as football fans.  If you can get that, you’ll get the protests and why some people’s experience of policing in the UK is very different to others’.

Spot on
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4382 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 19:58:38 »

I suppose you won't get it if you just lack any empathy.

Nothing to see here
Flashheart

« Reply #4383 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 20:30:59 »

I am in no way trying to suggest that I have it as bad as black people - because I don't. Not even close.

But I have been on the receiving end myself a few times. Bearing in mind that I am a minority immigrant where I live. For example, being refused a house I wanted to rent because I am a farang (westerner). It's fucking horrible.

Yet, I am still aware of my priviledge. That ocassion (and others) was dissapointing but had no real impact on me overall. Being a priviledged white guy meant that I could just move on. Too many people aren't able to say that, though. Too many people can't 'move on'. It affects every aspect of their lives. Some even lose their lives.

It's the 21st century for fuck's sake. What is wrong with people, we should have moved on from this long ago.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #4384 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 20:53:36 »

Hopefully this analogy opens a few eyes. Well said.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #4385 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 20:59:31 »

100% this. I had a few incidents with the police in my youth that left me with a certain level of distrust and dislike of them, but it doesn't come close to comparing. A black friend of mine was pulled over 15 times in one year, whereas I was pulled over once at about 3am. Once at Notting Hill Carnival I asked a copper which way to the nearest tube and a mixed race friend said you shouldn't ever ask the police because they'll lie and send you the wrong way. That hadnt even crossed my mind.

That said, i can understand to a point the feeling that people are having a go at the police here for something US police have done, for example people chanting "hands up, don't shoot" at unarmed police. It's difficult to keep them separate though, so i get why the lines have been blurred for some protesters.

But I have been on the receiving end myself a few times. Bearing in mind that I am a minority immigrant where I live. For example, being refused a house I wanted to rent because I am a farang (westerner). It's fucking horrible.

My personal bugbear was being quoted double the correct price for things even though I asked in Khmer. You're right that it has no real effect, but yeah, really fucking annoying.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4386 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 21:09:17 »

Several have said it much more concisely than I could ever have, namely Flashheart, Rusty and Goat.

It's something I deeply care about, I often have to reiterate to others (family etc) that this is genuinely not about me, a privileged white man. Because that is what we all are (well a large majority of us here are). This happens because those who end up defending racism try to turn it into a debate about political correctness; whereby I get used as the "You can't say anything while that guy is around" guy. Yet that really isn't the point and I know most on here will understand that.

We really should not have to struggle in 2020 to tell people that racism is wrong on so many levels.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Flashheart

« Reply #4387 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 21:11:42 »

My personal bugbear was being quoted double the correct price for things even though I asked in Khmer. You're right that it has no real effect, but yeah, really fucking annoying.

Oh yes. All the fucking time.

Some places even have separate prices in Thai script so only Thais can read them. Even my (Thai) wife gets charged extra sometimes just because she's with a farang.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4388 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 21:50:11 »

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc5AzoKpB904HmXAXlzJxKAt41YJ0cQ1zRlhMNe7PyfqEdxWA/viewform

Just picked up on this earlier. A friend of mine, a history teacher is trying to play their part in changing what the curriculum teaches us about - well our history in education. I ask, any of you to take part. It's anonymous. Question seven was incredibly telling, for myself.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BoA Vagabond

Tufty club

Ignore
« Reply #4389 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 22:01:01 »

I asked 4D this question the other day but he didn’t reply -> have any of you ever experienced being policed differently when at or travelling to a football match? Not because your behaviour was different but just because you were identified by the Police as a football fan?
Yes. Went to Leicester with Stoke in 1988 with a Tranmere and a Forest fan. A number of Stoke fans on the train over were obnoxious to say the least. Threatening their own fans etc. Surely the police, even then, knew who the twats were? Got to Leicester only to be treated like vermin. All were piled against walls and threatened with arrest if we spoke. Inspector Archer hold your head in shame. I was there to go and visit the grave of my recently deceased niece. Was going to the cemetery then on to the game. Got nowhere near doing that. Frogmarched to Filbert street with no chance of doing anything else. After the game the Stoke fans had worked out that we weren't Longton boys and quickly got isolated. We three made a run for it to the station once we got close only to find we were targeted by Leicester. No police to be seen then funnilly enough. Did what we had to go defend ourselves and then got grief from Stoke. Went home via Brum in the end. Kicked off again when we got back to Stoke. Aciiiid!! Police were hostile all day and then seemed happy to let the locals have their fun.

Parasitic freeloading season ticket holder scum
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4390 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 22:32:36 »

So, I guess the R number is going back over 1 soon.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4391 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 23:01:44 »

Unless I’m missing something I don’t see anybody questioning the legitimacy of the cause, it’s undoubtedly a worldwide issue. It’s the timing that is being highlighted as being inappropriate. People on this very forum have been critical to the government’s handling of the virus, people going to beaches and what not and the deaths that have resulted.  The Cheltenham festival has been highlighted as fuelling the spread and these gatherings are of a similar scale. We currently stand on precipice where things may start to return to normal or the whole cycle could start to repeat itself again so I don’t see how it’s outside the realms of decency to question whether this is really an appropriate action at this moment in time....
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4392 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 23:28:12 »

Uh oh, the high horses are being saddled up as I write this   Smiley
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #4393 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 07:00:19 »

Unless I’m missing something I don’t see anybody questioning the legitimacy of the cause, it’s undoubtedly a worldwide issue. It’s the timing that is being highlighted as being inappropriate. People on this very forum have been critical to the government’s handling of the virus, people going to beaches and what not and the deaths that have resulted.  The Cheltenham festival has been highlighted as fuelling the spread and these gatherings are of a similar scale. We currently stand on precipice where things may start to return to normal or the whole cycle could start to repeat itself again so I don’t see how it’s outside the realms of decency to question whether this is really an appropriate action at this moment in time....

Read back. I think nearly everyone agrees mass gatherings should be avoided given coronavirus. But others did question why anyone was protesting Uk police when the violence was by American police. I gave the football analogy to try and explain.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4394 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 09:27:50 »

Unless I’m missing something I don’t see anybody questioning the legitimacy of the cause, it’s undoubtedly a worldwide issue. It’s the timing that is being highlighted as being inappropriate. People on this very forum have been critical to the government’s handling of the virus, people going to beaches and what not and the deaths that have resulted.  The Cheltenham festival has been highlighted as fuelling the spread and these gatherings are of a similar scale. We currently stand on precipice where things may start to return to normal or the whole cycle could start to repeat itself again so I don’t see how it’s outside the realms of decency to question whether this is really an appropriate action at this moment in time....
exactly this.

the cause is irrelevant to covid. protests, beach, it don't know the difference

either its fine for mass gatherings outside, or it isn't.

it seems to me a blind eye has largely been turned to both mind, until violence rears it's ugly head. so at least there is some consistency
Pages: 1 ... 290 291 292 [293] 294 295 296 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: