Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1216915 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #3195 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 08:06:26 »

The real reason that PPE shipment was “delayed“:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52569364

Have they been ordering from wish
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #3196 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 08:21:18 »

It's a strange time on twitter when prominent figures who would normally say anything to oppose even the slightest rise in any form of benefits, now blithely happy to write-off millions wasted on antibodies tests that don't work and PPE that doesn't protect...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #3197 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 08:49:01 »

It's a strange time on twitter when prominent figures who would normally say anything to oppose even the slightest rise in any form of benefits, now blithely happy to write-off millions wasted on antibodies tests that don't work and PPE that doesn't protect...

You could argue with the antibody tests that if they had worked, it was a really smart move. So it was probably a risk worth taking.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #3198 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 09:09:18 »

You could argue with the antibody tests that if they had worked, it was a really smart move. So it was probably a risk worth taking.
TBF I don't think Rusty is arguing against that so much as pointing out the hypocrisy of some right wing commentators on Twitter.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #3199 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 09:25:34 »

Reports indicate that Boris Johnson will announce the phases of easing lockdown on Sunday with the first phase potentially starting as early as Monday.

Today we had 649 more deaths announced and 6,111 new coronavirus cases.  Our testing has reduced to 69,463 tests, well short of the Government's own 100,000 per day target and the lowest in the last week.

Given that context, what do you think about plans to ease lockdown?   

FFS Johnson in PMQ's made a big deal that nothing could be announced till Sunday as they wanted to make sure they had the most up to date information and scientific advice, then its all leaked to the papers hours later!

FWIW a lot of it is bollocks insofar as nothing has been said to teachers about reopening schools as yet.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3200 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 09:30:23 »

I see 6 have died in my hometown from Covid 19  Sad

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/18423904.official-map-shows-many-people-died-coronavirus-different-neighbourhoods/
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #3201 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 09:34:45 »

Are we all being frightened to death?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52543692
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #3202 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 10:08:01 »

Are we all being frightened to death?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52543692

It's an interestingly timed gear change from the BBC.  Whilst it says, correctly, that for most people the virus will cause a "mild to moderate" illness, it doesn't seem to acknowledge that if enough of the people who have the "moderate" illness, require any form of hospital treatment, resources get stretched with inevitable consequences.

Feels like it's going to be a very difficult and delicate balance to get right.  Again, though, the UK should have an advantage in that we can learn from other countries who ease out of lockdown before us.  If we are prepared to drop the hubris and "we know better than other countries" attitude ...
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3203 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 10:24:06 »

It's an interestingly timed gear change from the BBC.  Whilst it says, correctly, that for most people the virus will cause a "mild to moderate" illness, it doesn't seem to acknowledge that if enough of the people who have the "moderate" illness, require any form of hospital treatment, resources get stretched with inevitable consequences.

Feels like it's going to be a very difficult and delicate balance to get right.  Again, though, the UK should have an advantage in that we can learn from other countries who ease out of lockdown before us.  If we are prepared to drop the hubris and "we know better than other countries" attitude ...

I think there is a lot of spin coming out of government which the media are rather getting carried away with, see also...

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/2020/05/happy-monday-end-of-lockdown-isnt.html
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #3204 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 11:14:13 »

BREAKING: More bad news for the NHS coronavirus tracing app.

Parliament's Committee on Human Rights says it is "not reassured" the app protects privacy, and that if the app doesn't prove effective, the level of data gathered may actually break the law.

https://twitter.com/mattuthompson/status/1258335768029753348?s=20
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3205 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 13:26:17 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52552580

It's going to be interesting, if this lasts as long as it could do - a year or two ins some shape or form.  Will new behaviours become ingrained?  I can see a real opportunity to shift office working, which has spent years all but ignoring the technology that exists to move to Work from Home.

Will people, in sufficient numbers, return to restaurants the same way?  will they expect more room and not to be 2 feet from another table?

The meat production industry over here - will their relentless drive for efficiency, which has meant they are ticking time bombs for these types of situations, be tolerated?

If it was just this couple of months I think we'd revert back to type quickly, but imagine some form of restrictions exist for two years, there could be real changes in how we work and live.  Even the ones that seem good will have knock on impacts to other parts of the economy.  If we work from home, travel is reduced - which is good for the environment and increases time for yourself.  However, less need for public transport or oil - both of which would see reduction in employment.  Reduced capacity restaurants would likely need to deliver to survive - less wait staff, more delivery drivers - balancing out some of the commute gain I guess.

Wouldn't want to be working on Town Planning for a few years, well, unless you love a challenge.
Valid Pint

« Reply #3206 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 14:02:18 »

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52552580

Wouldn't want to be working on Town Planning for a few years, well, unless you love a challenge.
Does this mean the planned Fleming Way bus boulevard might be under threat?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #3207 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 14:24:04 »

Does this mean the planned Fleming Way bus boulevard might be under threat?

I can;t believe I find myself responding, but it's actually exactly the sort of project that should come under scrutiny, and almost certainly will find itself in danger of losing Central Government funding.

Hub and Spoke is more efficient than Point to Point, BUT, Swindon uses a single Hub based on historical reasons - central retail and office locations.  Given the situation could exist for up to two years, it's not unrealistic to expect the High Street malaise to fasten and an all but collapse of the the traditional Town Centre.  Office space in the Town Centre is also poor, so is often left un-let while out of town Business Parks have grown.  Both of those are going to be under threat if companies see Work From Home as a way of reducing Sq Ft in their Cost line.

It's likely the Bus system in Swindon won't need a central single Hub the way it was designed, more likely it would be better served by having several smaller Hubs, with even smaller regional point to point services coming from them.

That completely changes the use of the road network and also brings into question the concept of all the existing Bus Lanes - they may be in the wrong places if you rip up the model.

And that's just the beginning - a minefield of planning considerations.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 14:25:44 by RobertT » Logged
Valid Pint

« Reply #3208 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 15:40:39 »

Yes or no would have done.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3209 on: Thursday, May 7, 2020, 15:58:31 »

Put the food back in the fridge Rob.  Wink
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 [214] 215 216 217 ... 629   Go Up
Print