Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1217441 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2895 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 08:20:15 »

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/28/coronavirus-hype-biggest-political-hoax-in-history/

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #2896 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 08:22:53 »

Isn't that one of the rightwing nutjob papers? Not so good on american media.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2897 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 08:25:24 »

Seen exactly the same stuff from people over here, it’s not an just American thing
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2898 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 08:50:19 »

Seen exactly the same stuff from people over here, it’s not an just American thing
No but it is a far-right thing, being pushed by all the usual suspects.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2899 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 09:30:46 »

Paolo Dybala has tested positive for the 4th time in 6 weeks.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #2900 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 09:58:29 »

I doubt he's had it 4 times though.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2901 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 10:20:28 »

Paolo Dybala has tested positive for the 4th time in 6 weeks.
This sums up the state of the press at the moment, massively misleading headline that makes it sound like he has had it 4 times.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2902 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 10:23:17 »

I doubt he's had it 4 times though.
Probably not. But he's either had one instance that has lasted 6 weeks, or he has been reinfected at least once. Either way, makes the advice on how long you need to self-isolate for after showing symptoms look a bit dubious. And casts doubt on reliance on immunity once you've had it. Granted, he's probably an outlier, but shows how little we really know about this.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #2903 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 10:28:15 »

This sums up the state of the press at the moment, massively misleading headline that makes it sound like he has had it 4 times.

Is that headline misleading? I think you've misled yourself. The headline tells the fact.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2904 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 10:31:37 »

Is that headline misleading? I think you've misled yourself. The headline tells the fact.
Yeah but it’s deliberately misleading and people that don’t read the article are interpreting it as him having it 4 times. “Dybala still has COVID19 after 6 weeks” would be more accurate but doubt that would get as much attention.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2905 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 10:42:30 »

What headline? I didn't quote an article, I wrote that he had tested positive for the 4th time in 6 weeks, which he has. Doesn't mean he's had it 4 times, but it does show that one or both of two of the major assumptions being made don't necessarily hold and therefore illustrates how little we really know about the virus.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2906 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 10:51:34 »

What headline? I didn't quote an article, I wrote that he had tested positive for the 4th time in 6 weeks, which he has. Doesn't mean he's had it 4 times, but it does show that one or both of two of the major assumptions being made don't necessarily hold and therefore illustrates how little we really know about the virus.
The mirror headline was word for word that and in their case I do believe it is deliberately misleading, the number of tests is irrelevant it’s the 6 weeks that is the issue. It could have been phrased very differently to make the point you are making, instead its click bait that makes people read the article before realising that he hasn’t yet tested negative after his first positive result.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2907 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 11:01:35 »

The mirror headline was word for word that and in their case I do believe it is deliberately misleading, the number of tests is irrelevant it’s the 6 weeks that is the issue. It could have been phrased very differently to make the point you are making, instead its click bait that makes people read the article before realising that he hasn’t yet tested negative after his first positive result.
OK, I hadn't seen the Mirror article and wouldn't generally quote articles from tabloids anyway. But I do think you're perhaps (not deliberately) falling into the very common trap that seems to be around now of distracting from actual discussion of issues around coronavirus by attacking the press. There's a concern there that this case illustrates our lack of understanding of how the virus operates, what the infection period actually is, what the recovery looks like (as he may have had one instance of infection that died down and then re-emerged repeatedly over a period of several weeks) and the presumptions around immunity. Think that's rather more important than how the headline's presented.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2908 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 11:13:13 »

OK, I hadn't seen the Mirror article and wouldn't generally quote articles from tabloids anyway. But I do think you're perhaps (not deliberately) falling into the very common trap that seems to be around now of distracting from actual discussion of issues around coronavirus by attacking the press. There's a concern there that this case illustrates our lack of understanding of how the virus operates, what the infection period actually is, what the recovery looks like (as he may have had one instance of infection that died down and then re-emerged repeatedly over a period of several weeks) and the presumptions around immunity. Think that's rather more important than how the headline's presented.
My point is I first heard about Dybala when I saw loads of tweets saying he had now had it 4 times as obviously that would be massive news. When I traced it back they were all quoting this article so clearly it was misleading and blurred the actual message. It’s actually doing a disservice to the player as well as I’ve seen some people criticising him as he must be ‘ignoring the rules’ to catch it 4 times. Yes people are fuckwits and should read the article but I don’t think the headline is very helpful.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #2909 on: Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 11:39:13 »

The only motivation behind that article is an author desperate to protect their wealth or those they shill for.

Saying shutdown is happening only for "political reasons" doesn't really make any sense when Governments of every form of political persuasion are operating very similar versions.

The two notable ones that haven't - Belarus and Sweden - could not be more opposite politically.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 [194] 195 196 197 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: