Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1217064 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #2445 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 17:40:32 »

Oh, fuck!

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea/south-korea-reports-recovered-coronavirus-patients-testing-positive-again-idUSKCN21S15X?fbclid=IwAR0Nve65vRrvognARBAlypXO9aheWFL-RPCanFJJzbZpUym8Gz9ereFzHT8
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2446 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 17:48:04 »

oh fuck indeed.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #2447 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 17:58:51 »

A journalist from "Lad Bible" just got to ask a question at the Government coronavirus briefing.  Yes, Lad Bible.

And was actually a better question than most of traditional press pack.

Tomorrow, Brenda from Bristol is up next.

If you can seperate of all the "13 things your dog groomer doesn't want to know" shit, the likes of buzzfeed and the ilk have been asking much more searching questions than traditional media.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2448 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 18:06:49 »

Says in the article false test results could be at fault so too early to take it as gospel. If that is the case though that’s every countries strategy fucked and we may as well end the lockdown and return to normal as there’s no way way we can remain in lockdown until a vaccine is in place which would then be the only alternative.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2449 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 18:19:23 »

Hence how I said slowly phase things back in....
Sure. I thought you meant in a single phase though. Whereas I think it's likely there will be multiple on/off phases. Apologies if I misunderstood.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2450 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 18:23:14 »

Says in the article false test results could be at fault so too early to take it as gospel. If that is the case though that’s every countries strategy fucked and we may as well end the lockdown and return to normal as there’s no way way we can remain in lockdown until a vaccine is in place which would then be the only alternative.
Isn't it the case with current vaccines as well though? That some people still get the disease despite being vaccinated? The idea is not so much that they are  magic wand that prevents individuals from getting the disease as that most people don't get reinfected, so choking off the supply of new hosts for the virus to infect. The "herd immunity" strategy basically (the point being that with a vaccine, this is a safe way of building up immunity in a population, in the absence of a vaccine, it amounts to deliberate sacrifice of a substantial portion of your population).
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2451 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 18:29:10 »

Isn't it the case with current vaccines as well though? That some people still get the disease despite being vaccinated? The idea is not so much that they are  magic wand that prevents individuals from getting the disease as that most people don't get reinfected, so choking off the supply of new hosts for the virus to infect. The "herd immunity" strategy basically (the point being that with a vaccine, this is a safe way of building up immunity in a population, in the absence of a vaccine, it amounts to deliberate sacrifice of a substantial portion of your population).
Yeah and that’s why we don’t lockdown for other diseases. If people can get it again straight away then there is no “herd immunity” so we can’t ‘corner’ the virus as hoped so you’d have 2 options; return to normal or quarantine until three is a vaccine. Lockdown measures could always be implemented as and when pressure on the NHS grows but there is no circumstance where a lockdown until a vaccine is available is the right option.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2452 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 18:48:56 »

Yeah and that’s why we don’t lockdown for other diseases. If people can get it again straight away then there is no “herd immunity” so we can’t ‘corner’ the virus as hoped so you’d have 2 options; return to normal or quarantine until three is a vaccine. Lockdown measures could always be implemented as and when pressure on the NHS grows but there is no circumstance where a lockdown until a vaccine is available is the right option.
So having read the article properly instead of just skimming it as I did first time, there's a couple of points come out that give hope this isn't as bad as it first looks
1) Some of the "recovered" cases might not have actually recovered so these are relapses rather than re-infections
2) Some of the "recovered" cases might not have had the disease first time round due to suspect tests.

Although there may well still be some genuine reinfections in there so the general point around the role of vaccines in suppressing these kinds of diseases still stands. But the main point is that this doesn't indicate this is an exceptional disease in it's ability to re-infect
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #2453 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 18:55:47 »

So having read the article properly instead of just skimming it as I did first time, there's a couple of points come out that give hope this isn't as bad as it first looks
1) Some of the "recovered" cases might not have actually recovered so these are relapses rather than re-infections
2) Some of the "recovered" cases might not have had the disease first time round due to suspect tests.

Although there may well still be some genuine reinfections in there so the general point around the role of vaccines in suppressing these kinds of diseases still stands. But the main point is that this doesn't indicate this is an exceptional disease in it's ability to re-infect
Like I say nothing can be treated as gospel at the moment as there still seems to be very little concrete info know about it. If I was a betting man I’d say it will be something we just have to live with and manage the best we can hopefully assisted by vaccines as and when they are available.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #2454 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 20:17:37 »

We'll be the walking dead soon. Nom nom nom
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #2455 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 21:11:05 »

Is it just me that thinks we might currently be in "Wave Two" and have already experienced "Wave One" without realising/being as publicly aware?  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #2456 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 22:42:15 »

Yes
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #2457 on: Saturday, April 11, 2020, 23:51:29 »

Yes

Of course. Because the all seeing eye in 'Old Peculiar' has spoken  Pint

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #2458 on: Sunday, April 12, 2020, 00:15:19 »

We'll be the walking dead soon. Nom nom nom

Very apt - it is Easter after all, ergo;

"For as he raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will."

~ John:The Bible

'Incessant Nonsense'

Mister Lorenzo
Dirk Diggler

Ignore
« Reply #2459 on: Sunday, April 12, 2020, 07:19:05 »

A lot of people could be in for a shock when it finally sinks in that the lockdowns - possibly not the last - are merely a buying time tactic and not the cure.

The virus has entered our population in the same way flu has, the only way to 'defeat' it now is to get it and beat it and vaccinate those who can't alone.

It will likely return in waves.

We need to adhere to the Governments instructions for every stage of the fight. If the World stayed at home 100% until the virus died out naturally, great. Impossible to coordinate and know for certain it happened. So we need antibodies and vaccines.

The Government is balancing health and economy. There will be many deaths. There will be financial hardship. It cannot deliver one or both unscathed.

If the healthcare services become overwhelmed, we lock down harder. If they just about cope, we lockdown to bolster their resources. If they are managing fine, we relax to social distancing while ensuring the economy is able to tick over, knowing this is building immunity while Healthcare deals with those who sadly struggle with the disease.

These measures will continue and if required, in cycles.

This is how I have interpreted the various strategies we have seen implemented and explained.
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 [164] 165 166 167 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: