Pages: 1 ... 273 274 275 [276] 277 278 279 ... 868   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New beginnings - 25% Truth, 80% Bollocks  (Read 1279902 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4125 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 09:40:28 »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/apr/24/watford-season-ticket-fans-pozzo

I read this a couple of months ago and it made me think a bit. Distance makes it not a relevant conversation for me, but it might be of more interest to others.

Ha - reading the first bit of that summed me up - "In 2011 a survey of Britons commissioned by a video game developer put the figure at a damningly low 27, essentially painting British adults as a breed of permanently hungry morons most frequently vexed by issues such as “what to have for dinner”, “what to have for breakfast”, “what to have in my sandwich”, and “tea or coffee”.

It's kind of an ongoing 'joke' but once we've finished a meal, I always ask Mrs Bob "what do you fancy for lunch/dinner/breakfast" etc. I wouldn't say I am vexed by these issues, but I do like a bit of planning ahead! Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4126 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 09:48:38 »

So lets try and give him a squad that isn't shit and we might be on to a winner.

Serious question, has there been any evidenced suggestion that the club are not trying to give him a squad that isn't shit, is there any evidence that anyone Flynn wanted to sign has not happened?

Ha - reading the first bit of that summed me up - "In 2011 a survey of Britons commissioned by a video game developer put the figure at a damningly low 27, essentially painting British adults as a breed of permanently hungry morons most frequently vexed by issues such as “what to have for dinner”, “what to have for breakfast”, “what to have in my sandwich”, and “tea or coffee”.

It's kind of an ongoing 'joke' but once we've finished a meal, I always ask Mrs Bob "what do you fancy for lunch/dinner/breakfast" etc. I wouldn't say I am vexed by these issues, but I do like a bit of planning ahead! Smiley

Isn't that just basic human habits, making sure one is fed watered and has everything to keep the old body ticking over?
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #4127 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 09:52:29 »

Serious question, has there been any evidenced suggestion that the club are not trying to give him a squad that isn't shit, is there any evidence that anyone Flynn wanted to sign has not happened?

No, just some extremely uninspiring rumours of who we're after/been linked to at this stage. Lets hope its just that. 
DMC

« Reply #4128 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 09:55:29 »

No, just some extremely uninspiring rumours of who we're after/been linked to at this stage. Lets hope its just that. 
Doesn't that say more about fans mentality though. There have been good names mentioned as well but peoples first instimct is to go doom and gloom
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #4129 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:02:50 »

Doesn't that say more about fans mentality though. There have been good names mentioned as well but peoples first instimct is to go doom and gloom

People just want to get a handle on how we're going to do really, don't they? You can't always predict it but most years I would say you feel for the way its going.

This year for me, I'm leaning on the negative side but its probably been the most difficult to predict in a long time.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4130 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:08:33 »

Quote from: DMC

a few of those ended up elsewhere though.

some decent signings are the only thing that will calm it down
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #4131 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:12:42 »

Agreed, the thing that strikes me though are that what some perceive as decent signings are probably out of our range as will end up in L1 or higher
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4132 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 10:13:27 »

Indeed. Put the money where the mouth is, if we are indeed after quality and experience them provide us with the proof.

the thing that strikes me though are that what some perceive as decent signings are probably out of our range as will end up in L1 or higher
Absolutely many many of the names linked have been way out of our depth.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4133 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 20:54:55 »

Quote from: horlock07

But equally there's no evidence yet to suggest the club are giving him the tools necessary to build a capable squad.

All we factually have is the resigning of Austin (good), Brewitt (meh) and a young keeper.

You can say wait and see, which of course we must, but people were hoping that by appointing Flynn in May we'd hit the ground running in recruitment early.
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #4134 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 04:49:56 »

On the face of it looks like the club is repeating again the mistakes of previous seasons

As days go by looks like all the talk of lessons being learned etc was just a ploy to sell ST when in reality nothing has changed

This season is Clems acid test- if progression on the pitch is not shown fans will rightly be asking serious questions
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4135 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 05:52:37 »

They won’t ask questions - they’ll just stop buying STs and opt for attending on a game by game basis. Do well and they’ll turn up, do shit and they will not.

The last time I was able to attend regularly we had Luke Williams, Flitcroft and Phil Brown in charge.
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #4136 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 07:46:39 »

On the face of it looks like the club is repeating again the mistakes of previous seasons

As days go by looks like all the talk of lessons being learned etc was just a ploy to sell ST when in reality nothing has changed

This season is Clems acid test- if progression on the pitch is not shown fans will rightly be asking serious questions

On the face of it? Nothing has happened yet, I really don't get some people's view that everything is wrong, we are doomed.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4137 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 09:54:35 »

Different sides of same coin manc

Some people see that this is a sign nothing has changed and we are skint

others say nothing has happened but it still will

nobody is right or wrong until the season starts (and a bit beyond).
-----
we can surely agree the ideal would be to have some in now for pre-season.

But that ideals are just that.
------
personally I'm disappointed we have been unable to move quickly and show intent. But I'm not yet panicking
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #4138 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 10:01:44 »

Agree re ' talk of lessons being learned etc was just a ploy to sell ST when in reality nothing has changed'. Says a lot about the loyalty and commitment of fanbase that we still have north of 4.5k ST holders and still 3 or so weeks to go  after an abysmal season on and off pitch.

Early business - failed, but still time to get the right bodies and quality in, get the surplus out, 4 or 5 before season starts with 3 or so in last month of window should just be fine.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #4139 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 10:34:10 »

Wish everyone would stop panicking. The majority of business happens in the last week when all the Premier League clubs finish their business and start freeing up players for loans, which is exactly the option we’ve take than splashing the cash.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 275 [276] 277 278 279 ... 868   Go Up
Print
Jump to: