Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anyone know anything about central heating ?  (Read 2540 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:35:26 »

Ho ho, I jest. I have no idea

Things get better but they never get good
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:38:03 »

Thanks for the advice so far, I've also phoned a plumber at random from google, he reckons the pumps gone too.

Just out of interest, has anyone had a new boiler installed recently ? How much is this likely to set me back ?

Had mine replaced 2 years ago, got quoted 2.4k by British gas, used their spec, bought one myself and got a local plumber cost me £1700. You can go cheaper but you get what you pay for, even at cheapest end expect to pay £1200 +
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:40:03 »

Thanks for the advice so far, I've also phoned a plumber at random from google, he reckons the pumps gone too.

Just out of interest, has anyone had a new boiler installed recently ? How much is this likely to set me back ?

Yes, cant remember exaclty but seem to recall it was around 1600 to 1800....I can recommend a decent plumber if you are near oxford..
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:44:24 by jimmy_onions » Logged
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:53:55 »

What if the problem is with the radiators or pipes themselves? Is this still covered? If so, I'm getting it!

everything you need to know is here

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/maintenance-and-repair.html

also this looks like the one you need with no fixed repair @ £22.50pm

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/maintenance-and-repair/boilers-and-heating/boiler-and-heating-cover/homecare/homecare-300.html
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:56:40 by magicroundabout » Logged

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 13:05:15 »

i think the british gas scheme over time costs you more than just paying as and when.i take my chance but can see why people use the scheme.

as for the problem it could be as simple as the radiators needing balancing which is a minor cheap job.i had the same fault and it turned out to be just that.
then again it could be down to many things.
if you are in swindon or near area i reccomend using gv hall(number in all the phone books)i've used them since i've owned a home and they always do a great job.
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 13:19:03 »

I'm in the BG one, & was paying £18 per month. That includes a service every year which with gas is important. They have so far replaced by circuit board, pump, & thermostst so I'm quids in. Recently wanted to cut costs so I am now on there flexible scheme which is £13 per month. That still includes the service but any repairs I pay the first £50.

If you need a boiler isn't there a boiler scrappage scheme now ?

From the Dark Side
china red

« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 14:07:30 »

My brother is an Ex British Gas service engineer, will PM you the number
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 14:47:02 »

Be a bit careful - we had a situation where the pump was gone and we had it replaced....then it went again in a couple of months.

It was because there was a massive build up of shite in the pipes - limescale and sludge etc...

Something called a Powerflush seemed to solve it - got rid of all the crap in the system and allows the pump to work again properly....But they can be around £500 !!

Wise men say........
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 20:22:55 »

I can give you a rough idea. My boiler needs replacing fairly soon. Had a number of quotes ranging from £2400 to £4900 (yes, you guessed it, British Gas was the most expensive.....). This does include a fair bit of re-plumbing as I want the boiler relocated in my airing cupboard upstairs as opposed to its current location in the kitchen and also the inlet feed pipe is not man enough to feed the boiler.

Get the Yellow Pages and get a shed load of quotes (I've got about 9). Ask lots of questions.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: