Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tennis and especially athletics: What a waste of time  (Read 1064 times)
Reeves for King

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 25, 2006, 23:52:56 »

As I haven't posted for a while I thought I'd have a rant, and tennis and athletics incurs my wrath today.

Thay are the biggest fucking waste of money in British Sport; we are fucking awful at both of them so why don't we just put the vast amounts of money pumped into them towrds sports we are supposedly good at like football rugby and cricket.

here's the man himself when you need him?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, August 26, 2006, 01:05:10 »

We're pretty good at athletics in a muddling along sort of way.....tennis is utter shit, but only a few middle class tossers care, so what the hell.

Have you ever been to the Delta Centre?  Point being a fair chunk of Wimbledon money gets ploughed into grass roots initiatives, but nobody much takes it up.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 26, 2006, 08:51:52 »

Reg is spot on with Tennis. as for Athletics they may as well just not bother taking a GB team championships. we are awful at it!
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 26, 2006, 09:04:41 »

Tennis is extremely dull now.

There are too many so called sports in the Olympics that should not be in it.
Like that thing with the horses (Is it called Dressage or something?), what the fuck is that all about.
Olympics should be about who can run the fastest, who is the fittest, who is the strongest, actual physical challenges. Not who can ride a fucking horse around a field.
Doore

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 26, 2006, 09:29:39 »

Watching tennis can be dull.  I do however retain a love of playing tennis.  Its a cracking sport to play.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 26, 2006, 09:32:06 »

I used to love playing it.
I haven't played tennis for years, mainly because I don't know anyone else who actually likes to play it.
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 26, 2006, 09:46:31 »

Quote from: "Reeves for King"
As I haven't posted for a while I thought I'd have a rant, and tennis and athletics incurs my wrath today.

Thay are the biggest fucking waste of money in British Sport; we are fucking awful at both of them so why don't we just put the vast amounts of money pumped into them towrds sports we are supposedly good at like football rugby and cricket.

Absolutely spot on. Every time I hear about how Swindon lacks facilities for things like Tennis and athlectics pisses me off too. Prime example being the stupid sorry excuse for an athlectics track at The County Ground which would be swallowed up by any new stadium development and you get some tosser that writes to the adver to object probably because they used it once last year or something. As for The Delta Centre its designed entirely for the upper class ponces that think they are above all us workers. Went there once in a moment of 'Henmania' and realised that Delta don't want people like me there i.e. some beer bellied unshaven goof who thinks he's the next Henman.
 Now I read in the adver that the Council are seriously considering building an olyimpic sizes swimming pool in the town. What the fuck for?Huh? How many locals really are training for the olyimpics in Swindon right now? 2 maybe 3?  Thats really benficial to the community isn't it Swindon Council.
 Common sence would see SBC build a new sports facility in Swindon to replace Oasis and Link Centres built around a state of the art football stadium (funded by the club that part) that would serve the whole of the town to some degree. Thats 250,000 nearly!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 26, 2006, 10:27:01 »

I used to go with my mates to play doubles at Delta when I was a kid. Nobody was snobbish and just let us get on with things. They didn't even moan when we stayed 30 mins longer than we paid for as the court wasn't being used.

Football generates enough money on its own, so it doesn't need the investment you talk about. Cricket (although personally I'm not a great fan of it) could do with a welcome investment especially at the grass roots level.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: