Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 93   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 199540 times)
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #975 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:30:56 »

Well that could have been a lot lot worse. Kept it interesting.

Please just take your fucking chances now, England.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #976 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:32:19 »

At one point (87-5) it looked like England could be all out for well less than 200 so this keeps them in the game.

With both Stokes & Robinson unlikely to bowl there’s going to be a lot of pressure on the other bowlers. Will be interesting to see how many overs the spinners get to bowl
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #977 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:35:17 »

Would liked to have seen Stokes get a ton. He deserved it as the only fella really out there trying to make anything of it when he has to. You can see he's trying to play test cricket at the outset but no one to really support him so he has to revert to one-dayer mode to get some runs on the board for England.

Wood has been good value with the bat considering he's bottom order. Expected a little more from Broad and Woakes. Ali did ok for a bottom order bat playing almost middle order too. The top order really need to sort their mentality out. They are clearly trying to only play Bazball when it really doesn't fully suit them. IF the selectors want aggressive play then they may as well select Dawad Malan in place of Brook, who has been poor. All the top order have been pretty poor/inconsistent.

Root is meant to be your linchpin and is not delivering this series so far. If he's still in when someone like Stokes comes in to bat then you have a great chance to build a partnership. I still think Root needs to ignore any Bazball approach and just play his own game.

But when you look at both innings, they are pretty similar in terms of batting quality. Marsh was their standout with Head the next best, the rest were poor in both top orders. The only pattern is both sides got progressively better as it approached the middle order. What bizarrely is notable that after MO their middle to bottom got progressively worse {as expected} but only scored 23 with two ducks. England however, whilst following a similar pattern - their middle to bottom achieved 67.

So the only stand outs really were Marsh and Stokes. with about 35 runs difference. England trail by just 26 runs. If they can improve their top order a bit AND get Root to play his traditional game then England would be matching and bettering the Aussies totals in every innings.

Oh and if they could learn to catch as well then from a fielding POV - England might then also increase their chances. I don't think it's down to a lack of quality or being able to match Australia - they aren't really that great themselves. I feel like it's more indiscipline with the bat/fielding and all players trying to play a style that clearly doesn't suit all of them.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #978 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:40:50 »

This is just such brain dead cricket! Bairstow, Ali and woakes all pathetic dismissals! 13 dropped catches!? 0 fight in this team

Two years ago it was abundantly clear that we had a team, bar one player, that could not bat in Test matches.  There was much gnashing of teeth about the fact the short form game had become complete King and we'd lost all our Test match talent as a result.

The master stroke of the current approach is we've sort of accepted that - you can't develop Test batsmen over night.  Instead, we've essentially asked 11 players to play One Day when batting, and backed that up by bowling for wickets and trying to ensure every game is a win or loss situation - no hanging on for draws or wasting time building scores.  That has made us competitive again-  because other teams will not risk joining in when they have built Test teams.

If we went back to Test batting, or took our foot off the peddle a little on the One Day approach, we'd have been skittled in our innings.  We'd probably have faced as many balls but been out for 120-150, because the Aussie bowlers are pretty good and our batsmen do not have the technique to survive.  By pushing on, you make the bowler think about their game more, you introduce doubt.

Essentially, we've turned the worst batting Test team (maybe bar the Windies) into one that can get close to the best.  We have retained a fairly good bowling attack, so the two combine to make this series almost a toss-up, almost.  The Aussies are still a lot better than us, so will have an innings here and there that they just get too much for us, or an innings here and there where they outsmart the one day batting.

Maybe in a year or two, a couple of hybrid batsmen develop - able to be more Root when needed.

How many of our batsmen have 40+ averages, two?  If we can get a couple more of those mixed in, then you can have the ability to go at five, but maybe settle in from time to time when it's needed to stretch an innings out.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:43:07 by RobertT » Logged
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #979 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:40:58 »

Ben Stokes is a phenom.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #980 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 13:41:09 »

Please just take your fucking chances now, England.

You just know they won't though. Not at present indiscipline. The only players turning it on at the mo is Stokes with the bat and in this test, Wood is probably our best shot at skittling the Aussies. Although we can't make a spinner {one still not quite fully fit to boot} bowl all afternoon shirley?  Hmmm

Was going to go to this but really could not justify the eighty quid per resale ticket at present playing standard or an entry ticket at twenny five quid for a pointless day five. I might go to Chesterfield instead and watch some cricket there  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #981 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 14:02:40 »

Went yesterday and had a lovely day.  13 wickets, a ton and a 5 wicket haul.  Perfectly pleasant.  But I have realised that the only thing wrong with going to an ashes match is the aussie supporters.  Really whiny annoying twats.

Never knowingly overstated.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #982 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 14:22:59 »

Went yesterday and had a lovely day.  13 wickets, a ton and a 5 wicket haul.  Perfectly pleasant.  But I have realised that the only thing wrong with going to an ashes match is the aussie supporters.  Really whiny annoying twats.

Headingley is always alright and had I got in early at cheaper prices then fine but not at 80 notes for a bog standard seat unfortunately. That was at the lower end of pricing too. Saw England at the Oval last Autumn One Dayers for 20 quid and the following final day for a tenner, which then got refunded as it was done inside an hour  Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #983 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 16:13:00 »

In with a sniff. Aus 72-3
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #984 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 16:41:09 »

It could end up a three day test match😀

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #985 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 16:41:36 »

I'd be very nervous if I was sat on Day 4 tickets!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #986 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 16:45:13 »

Same here! I wonder if the ground staff will get a bollocking if it is over tomorrow.

So, give no fucks
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #987 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 16:55:05 »

I thought the forecast for tomorrow was very wet, that might drag it on a bit (pardon the pun)

I come from a land down-under
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #988 on: Friday, July 7, 2023, 18:18:35 »

Well that's not an ideal start to the morning. Aussies are taking their catches, it's going to be the difference here unless Stokes does Stokes things.

...and that he did.
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #989 on: Saturday, July 8, 2023, 16:32:54 »

England slight favourites. Need to keep the chase below 200
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 ... 93   Go Up
Print
Jump to: