Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Iphone  (Read 38623 times)
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #330 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 17:20:58 »

most bank accounts offer free phone insurance anyway. that's what i've got.

That's another thing I'm not willing to pay for - the privilege of having a bank account. I've got a fee-free one with smile, but they have another option where you pay £10 a month and get insurance and stuff, sod that.
nochee

« Reply #331 on: Friday, June 17, 2011, 17:55:52 »

Its working now
Barry Scott

« Reply #332 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 14:44:38 »

Anyone fancy chucking some pointers my way on Jailbreaking my iPhone 3GS please? I've done some searching but there seems many sites with many different methods and software and all kinds of shit.

I don't want to break it before I have a chance to find a reason to like it. Smiley
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #333 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 14:47:40 »

If the Apple products are so brillant then why do you need to "jailbeak" them to gain full functionality?

I personally don't get it myself.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Barry Scott

« Reply #334 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 14:51:51 »

Apple laptop's are brilliant, everything else is gash. Wink

They lock their phones down to prevent you doing certain stuff. If you Jailbreak it you have an iphone that does what it should do anyway. Stupid, I know. But you're preaching to the choir.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #335 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 14:54:19 »

Just Google for it, loads of guides on how to do it.

Though if you've got iOS 5 on it you're best off leaving it for the moment as they haven't cracked it properly yet.

Only use I've found for jail breaking is on my iPad, so I can run the Mame emulator. Which is pretty cool, you can use Wii controllers with it and connect it up to the TV - giving you a portable arcade machine.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #336 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 14:56:02 »

They lock their phones down to prevent you doing certain stuff. If you Jailbreak it you have an iphone that does what it should do anyway. Stupid, I know. But you're preaching to the choir.

I prefer the walled garden approach. You've only got to look at all the hacks on Android devices through rogue apps to see why it's a good idea, but not for everyone I guess.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #337 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 14:57:12 »

If the Apple products are so brillant then why do you need to "jailbeak" them to gain full functionality?

I personally don't get it myself.

We get it JJ, you aren't a fan of apple and its products! Wink

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Barry Scott

« Reply #338 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 15:11:56 »

I prefer the walled garden approach. You've only got to look at all the hacks on Android devices through rogue apps to see why it's a good idea, but not for everyone I guess.

It's only 4.3.3. I'm not doing it so I can run pirated crap, although there are good banned apps. I'm doing it because I have no intention of paying o2 to use my phone as a hotspot, it's made me so mad, I'm doing it on principle! How I use my data allowance shouldn't incur more cost if it's through my laptop via an iPhone.

I also want to be able to use Bluetooth properly and my phone as a modem (by USB) as and when I require it. Mame would also be good. Very good. Cheesy
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #339 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 15:16:45 »

O2 don't charge me anything extra to use my iPhone as a hotspot. They used to but on their current contracts (been out for a year or so) the hotspot usage is viewed as normal data and comes out the monthly allowance. You can use it via bluetooth, wifi or a USB connection and it just takes a few clicks on the iPhone to get it active.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #340 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 15:33:50 »

It's only 4.3.3.

In that case, just visit www.jailbreakme.com from the iPhone browser. Easy.
Barry Scott

« Reply #341 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 17:42:37 »

O2 don't charge me anything extra to use my iPhone as a hotspot. They used to but on their current contracts (been out for a year or so) the hotspot usage is viewed as normal data and comes out the monthly allowance. You can use it via bluetooth, wifi or a USB connection and it just takes a few clicks on the iPhone to get it active.

Oh, I'll get on to o2 then, because the iPhone allows pairing with my Mac, but, amusingly, refuses to allow my Mac to connect to it via BT. And tethering is completely disabled and my rudimentary research showed that you have to pay extra to be able to tether via BT, USB and Wifi.

I'm already getting a bit fucked off with my phone though. It keeps dropping wifi and likewise seems to keep informing me there's issues with my mail boxes. (Not that I actually want email on my iPhone, so it's a moot point.)

In that case, just visit www.jailbreakme.com from the iPhone browser. Easy.

Cheers Samdy. I might wait until o2 tell me exactly what I can and can't do before I do it anyway, because I'm thinking about buying Applecare on eBay in which case I don't want to ruin the warranty. Smiley
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #342 on: Monday, November 28, 2011, 17:51:59 »

Think the tethering option needs to be activated by your carrier or it won't be available, as soon as I switched to the new style tariff it was there. Works a treat with my iPad and Mac, saved me having to buy a 3G iPad as well.

Possible you might have to sign a new contract, wasn't an issue for me as I got one of the new plans with my iPhone 4.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: