Pages: 1 ... 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1228345 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4440 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 21:36:09 »

It was one person with the rest around him telling him to get down.
They were throwing the wreaths around earlier, it’s more than one person and they are actually doing untold harm to their cause with these acts how can they not see it. The authorities need to step in now as it’s got out of hand!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4441 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 23:17:09 »

For those that burn the flag and hate Britain, why the fuck live here? Fuck off and do us all a favour.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #4442 on: Sunday, June 7, 2020, 23:27:04 »

For those that burn the flag and hate Britain, why the fuck live here? Fuck off and do us all a favour.

My, my. You’ll have Horlock, Pauld and a few other calling you a right wing facist cunt. You right wing facist cunt. 😉
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #4443 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 00:02:44 »

The problem the protests have, aside from the obvious risks with Covid, are the ability for different groups to tag along with very different desires.  Much of the problematic stuff is likely coming from Anarchist groups, who want to bring down any form of Govt.  Then you have the more extreme elements of BLM who are pushing for the defunding or complete disbanding of Police Forces (which is actually an interesting idea when you start to investigate what it would means, rather than the WTF response I had when reading that initially).

The Monuments bit is also nuanced.  In the USA there is a clear problem with ,any of them, they were erected precisely to invoke oppression of African Americans, predominantly erected in the early 1900’s, long after the Civil War.  There is a image chiselled into a Mountain side near me, it was finished in the 1970”s and funded by the KKK.  It has since been taken over by the State and converted into a sort of Musuem about slavery, but they are still looking at whether to change the image itself.  I can completely understand a desire to rip these affronts down.

There does seem to be a big move in recent years for UK culture to begin trying to mimic the USA on some belief of us being close.  The reality having lived here is there is a lot that is different, and not a single American culture but several, certainly not as aligned as most of the UK generally is (allowing for the Country variations).

This is getting away from the subject a little, but I do think the situation and context of the past three months has lit the fuse.  I am quite worried about places like Brazil for that reason.  For me, the spread of Populism has poured petrol on the embers of a fire, then Covid has come along to provide the flame thrower necessary to bring everything to a head.
Valid Pint

« Reply #4444 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 06:49:23 »

Burning the Union Jack on the cenotaph just proves that a sizeable element don’t give a shit about BLM and just want an excuse to cause trouble.
All the groups will have been infiltrated by the security services. It then a matter of if they wish to draw any behaviour to the attention of the prosecuting authorities.
Rather like when the Southciders were infiltrated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4445 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 07:18:23 »

bloody tricky one to police.

Heavy handed could mean escalation.

Too light means criminal acts occur, as seen in Bristol, regardless of being morally right.

plus the whole covid issue...

I guess I can see sense in Bristol's minimum force and follow up after approach.

But at some point the pointy sticks will have to come out, as per London
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #4446 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 07:37:27 »

Given that the city of Bristol profitted heavily from the slave trade, I'd presume the protesters will now all want to leave it and live somewhere else?

Aren't you from Dachau?
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4447 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 07:59:11 »

Where is it stated they "hate Britain"?  I don't agree with the tactics but why does protest equate to hating Britain?

Nothing to see here
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4448 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:23:05 »

Is it also not a matter of education? A lot of people now are finding out or realising that the so called great leaders of time past were not necessarily as great as history has previously taught us.

Which was why I posted the survey that my friend has set up. How many of us were taught at school in depth at how great the "Empire" was yet things like slavery were touched upon very briefly? We weren't taught that we had achieved this "greatness" by excessive colonisation, rape and slavery. It was just seen as good for us and the cost to others was generally put by the wayside.

So when people say things like "thas disgustin' tha ris", well maybe had we all been educated in a curriculum that informed us more about the truth we wouldn't have statues of or celebrate lorded fucking gentry who maintained their status via ill gotten gains.

This is not a new thing though, the one thing that became clear during all the Brexit nonsense is just how little much of the population seem to know about history. This is quite an interesting read.

https://thepinprick.com/2017/12/15/ladybird-libertarians-dan-hannan-paddington-and-the-pernicious-impact-of-1960s-british-propaganda-on-the-brexit-thinkers/
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4449 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:26:09 »

I gather that the Colston statue was erected to thank him for his charitable contributions to the City

Perhaps they should have a statue of Jimmy Saville in Leeds then if you get one for philanthropy and fuck what else you may have done?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4450 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:34:41 »

I see Mr Waxy Lemon was very unhappy with the goings on yesterday and has called on all the 'lads' to go out in London this coming weekend, presumably for a 'tear up'. If Antifa et al are out and about it could get very messy unfortunately.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4451 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:43:17 »

I see Mr Waxy Lemon was very unhappy with the goings on yesterday and has called on all the 'lads' to go out in London this coming weekend, presumably for a 'tear up'. If Antifa et al are out and about it could get very messy unfortunately.

Good to see he has been released from Barrow nick now.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #4452 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:47:26 »

Why should I leave just because some of the population have been radicalised? As a student of history I hope and believe that the present populist and nationalist uprising will go the way of all the others throughout history, populist governments always fail spectacularly when those they have radicalised turn against them.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4453 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:55:51 »

You burnt a flag? Typical far left view that the flag is a flag of something other than the country and it's people. It's provocative and divisive to burn a country's flag.
« Last Edit: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:58:44 by 4D » Logged
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #4454 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:56:54 »

He’s even had a pop at Little Mix now which amused me.  Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 296 [297] 298 299 300 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: