Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1228217 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #2490 on: Monday, April 13, 2020, 17:47:50 »

Pity that’s the option you choose

Things get better but they never get good
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2491 on: Monday, April 13, 2020, 18:02:35 »

Because what we are seeing now is a result of the what we did or didn't do weeks ago. This is why countries that implemented lockdown (or some variant of the partial lockdown we have) quickly after seeing their first cases have comparatively lower cases and so also fewer deaths. Whereas countries that failed to do so, like the UK and the US, are seeing high death rates.
For those who don't see why it matters when we locked down, The New York Times did a piece that does a pretty good job of explaining the maths behind exponential growth rates and why delaying for a few days (never mind weeks as we and the US did) makes a difference of 1000s of deaths. The piece shows how if you act now to avert one case, you prevent 2400 infections; whereas if you wait a week to avert that one case, you only prevent 600. Factor that up by a scale of several hundred thousand (of likely asymptomatic infections) and a delay of several weeks and this is why the failure to act on the warnings we had from Italy and Spain, both here and in the US, will cost thousands, if not tens of thousands (certainly of that order in the US), of lives. It's why even the govt's own experts now admit we are on course to have the worst death rate in Europe. And we didn't need to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/science/coronavirus-math-mitigation-distancing.html
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #2492 on: Monday, April 13, 2020, 20:57:04 »

It's why even the govt's own experts now admit we are on course to have the worst death rate in Europe. And we didn't need to.

"The government is guided by the science."

The science that mitigates a pensions/healthcare time bomb.

Ignore
« Reply #2493 on: Monday, April 13, 2020, 21:20:41 »

If lives over the economy were put first from the start then maybe this could have gone differently. Why the planes were not halted in and out of the country and the lockdown not made sooner and stricter will never sit well with me.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2494 on: Monday, April 13, 2020, 21:57:09 »

The masks debate arises again....

I am also surprised that more pubs are not selling off their stock. Think barrels have a 3 month life span, so it could happen. I see alcohol sales have risen.

I do worry about people with their anxiety and depression. Keep well people.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2495 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 04:15:34 »

Huge Trump meltdown at his latest press conference. This bloke is pure gold! He’s totally unhinged.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #2496 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 08:27:25 »

I am also surprised that more pubs are not selling off their stock. Think barrels have a 3 month life span, so it could happen.

Article in  the paper this morning saying exactly the same thing,   Lager 3 months life, real ale 6 weeks, could be some bargains about soon, Reckon they might start a home delivery service ?.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2497 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 08:29:45 »

Huge Trump meltdown at his latest press conference. This bloke is pure gold!
Think it's more "dirty orange" than gold Smiley
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #2498 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 08:30:24 »

The last few weeks of more or less on R4 have had some pretty good looks at stats and stuff behind the Corona Virus. Including Masks. Worth a listen if you haven't got much to do. They are only short. although I think some bits get repeated across the world service and normal versions.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2499 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 09:14:32 »

The last few weeks of more or less on R4 have had some pretty good looks at stats and stuff behind the Corona Virus. Including Masks. Worth a listen if you haven't got much to do. They are only short. although I think some bits get repeated across the world service and normal versions.
+1. More or Less is excellent generally for separating the bullshit around maths and stats, but has been especially so during the Covid crisis. Podcast versions here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02nrss1/episodes/downloads
Walthams

Ignore
« Reply #2500 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 12:38:40 »

I am also surprised that more pubs are not selling off their stock. Think barrels have a 3 month life span, so it could happen. I see alcohol sales have risen.

I do worry about people with their anxiety and depression. Keep well people.

It will be counted as ullage (not sure that is how you spell it), breweries will pick up the stock. Seen it happening at pubs around my way within a week or so the shut down.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #2501 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 12:59:55 »

On another note, anyone seen that 99yr old bloke walking lengths of his garden to raise money for the NHS? Hes raised £2m quid! What a bloke!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #2502 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 13:11:24 »

Great isn't it. Think he originally aimed for a grand  Smiley
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2503 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 15:45:40 »

Italian woman fined 400 euro for breaking lockdown rules to walk her turtle:

https://www.thelocal.it/20200414/rome-woman-fined-for-breaking-italy-quarantine-to-walk-her-turtle
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2504 on: Tuesday, April 14, 2020, 17:16:09 »

There I was thinking my trip down to Florida at the end of May was likely a non starter, enter stage left, Ron DeSantis.  He's decided that WWE is an essential business and can remain open - i.e. behind close door wrestling for TV coverage is all good.  I imagine rather than having to quickly turn the camera from a chair being brought down on a wrestler, we'll instead be shielded from someone sneezing on their "opponent"?

In light of this, I imagine a simple holiday will be perfectly fine.
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 [167] 168 169 170 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: