Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rovers Away  (Read 2787 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« on: Monday, December 5, 2011, 15:50:54 »

I realise peple will want to keep where they are drinking off the boards to avoid a repeat episode of our day out a few years ago, but on the basis the Inn on the Green will most likely be shut (and who can blame them) does anyone know of any decent pubs where we could get a drink within a managebale walk of the ground? If so, please PM me. We've been in the Annexe Inn for the past few years and it was quite awful. It made the Tap & Barrell or the Robert Peel feel like Hotel du Vin. 
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, December 5, 2011, 16:10:13 »

Moonraker, agree regards to pubs as the only one I've been in like you is The Annexe and that's getting slightly old. As a UWE veteran of 4 years it's pretty much the only place bar the Inn on the green in walking distance that is (was) an away fans pub. Tap & Barrell/The Bishops in are around 30/40 mins walk up the hill and The Anchor, Wellington, Queen Vic and Royal Oak are all home fans pubs only that are closer to the ground and out towards Parkway there is the great western as you get off the train, but all along filton ave they are not nice places to go (Bulldog and Fellowship) and I advise staying away.

To sum up, it's a choice of The Annexe (again), The Inn on the Green (if open-I will check Friday night as staying down) or City Centre/Gloucester road.

Maj

#VivaKenBarlow!
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, December 5, 2011, 16:16:30 »

Almost worth pertending to be a home fan or a neutral for the sake of a decent pub...

Great if Inn on the Green is open - they can't stay shut every time we go to Rovers.
Spencer_White

« Reply #3 on: Monday, December 5, 2011, 17:48:24 »

I wouldnt say it is worth it to be honest. Done it a couple of times at Rovers, having lied to get in there you'll be worried you'll get sussed out.

Temple Meads, few in the centre, then taxis to the ground at 2.30 is usually a good plan for Rovers.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, December 5, 2011, 20:36:16 »

Moonraker as Spencer says it's not worth it if you get found out...The Anchor is pretty hot on knowing who's who and despite being a regular in my uni days they wouldn't let me in!Barstewards!!!...As I've said for those interested about Inn on the Green I will check on Friday afternoon and post the result on here afterwards if it's a place the majority drinking up the ground fancy going!

Maj

#VivaKenBarlow!
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, December 5, 2011, 21:59:31 »

How easy is it to get to from Temple meads/parkway?? And any decent boozers around??

I'm going with a few uni mates, I need beer to make it bearable

Things get better but they never get good
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, December 6, 2011, 07:09:50 »

Ten mins, v easy, but you're better off getting the local train and getting off at Filton Abbey Wood, which is nearer the ground. Temple Meads is poor for pubs as well. I work right next to it and there's a Wetherspoons and not much else unless you want a ten min walk from there. Shame Rovers don't play in the middle of town or Clifton really.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, December 6, 2011, 09:21:20 »

I see the gash say we have sold out 1800 tickets. They are also using the game stubs for their cup game, should be a good gate (for them  Wink ).
melksham_exile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, December 6, 2011, 11:07:30 »

Ten mins, v easy, but you're better off getting the local train and getting off at Filton Abbey Wood, which is nearer the ground. Temple Meads is poor for pubs as well. I work right next to it and there's a Wetherspoons and not much else unless you want a ten min walk from there. Shame Rovers don't play in the middle of town or Clifton really.
sorry moonraker, i have to disagree with this. I used to live around the back of temple meads and there are 2 quality boozers there (if you're a fan of the old school boozer that is. If you go past the weatherspoons and go left, cross the road and go past the mint hotel, around the back of the fire station is the cornubia. Proper boozer with good ales, madmess played there back in the day, rolls available if your peckish tables outside for smoking and a fish tank! There's also the bridge in just opposite the fire station with a record player and loads of ska on vinyl and sagres on tap, it's a very small pub though. I'll be heading to one or both of those on my way through.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, December 6, 2011, 13:23:28 »

Add the The Ship, The Apple Tree & The Barley Mow to that list.  Proper spit & sawdust traditional boozers, probably more appropiate for a slave traders game but they are all within walking distance of Templemeads and are how boozers should be.
matt_jada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, December 6, 2011, 16:40:54 »

Been looking forward to this game for some time now, As for a pub im not sure, im meeting up with a few Rovers supporters (friends & family)

I see there FA cup clash with Villa has been chosen for tv again, this time on ESPN, Bastards.

"ITV to show Man City v Man United. ESPN to show Arsenal v Leeds and Bristol Rovers v Aston Villa."
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, December 6, 2011, 20:31:44 »

sorry moonraker, i have to disagree with this. I used to live around the back of temple meads and there are 2 quality boozers there (if you're a fan of the old school boozer that is. If you go past the weatherspoons and go left, cross the road and go past the mint hotel, around the back of the fire station is the cornubia. Proper boozer with good ales, madmess played there back in the day, rolls available if your peckish tables outside for smoking and a fish tank! There's also the bridge in just opposite the fire station with a record player and loads of ska on vinyl and sagres on tap, it's a very small pub though. I'll be heading to one or both of those on my way through.

Agreed, they're decent - I was thinking more of 'station pubs', like the GW in Swindon. The Barley Mow is decent, and if you don't mind a walk for ten minutes, the Apple is superb.   
« Last Edit: Tuesday, December 6, 2011, 20:39:08 by The Moonraker » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: