Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Accrington v Swindon Official Matchday thread.  (Read 39822 times)
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 14:00:22 »

What's your mrs problem with Jonathan Smith? I think he is ace.

Jonathan Smith is a vital cog in my eyes! If he's fit, he's got to play. The problematic decision should be Ferry or McCormack for who gets to play next to him.

She thinks his tackling often leaves a lot to be desired as does his distribution and shooting. Basically, she thinks there are other players in the squad as capable as Smith is and worth taking a punt on.

She has been watching the Town for 30 years or more with her only real break being shortly after we got married and she joined me in married quarters in Gibraltar for 2 years (we still got to games when leave in the UK coincided with the football season and her take on the abilities of players is pretty solid. If she doesn't rate someone, they are generally pretty poor, though she occasionaly gets a bit rabid about someone for no particular reason other than they are a bit of a cunt off the field or had one bad game.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 14:09:35 »

Fair enough if her credentials are good but shouting abuse at any player wearing a town shirt within earshot does no good at all IMO. Not surprised Smith's Mrs didn't know where to look. Probably wondering why someone would take the trouble to go all the way to Accrington to shout abuse at her fella.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 14:14:16 »

Fair enough if her credentials are good but shouting abuse at any player wearing a town shirt within earshot does no good at all IMO. Not surprised Smith's Mrs didn't know where to look. Probably wondering why someone would take the trouble to go all the way to Accrington to shout abuse at her fella.

SWMBO went all the way to Accrington to follow her team. Those players she thought deserved it got the praise she thought they deserved i.e most of them.

Those that didn't got advised to buck their ideas up i.e. Smith.

Isn't that what being passionate about your team is about?
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 14:38:58 »

Think we'll have to beg to differ on this. No room for "abusing" town players in my book although you could argue some deserved it last season.

Smith doesn't seem to have given anything less than 100% in all the games i've seen. If your wife's view is that he's not good enough then that's fair enough but obviously differs from the manager's. Can undertand people get frustrated if a player isn't giving his all but from your post you simply implied that she doesn't like him so told him so.

It may = passionate but doesn't = supporting IMO.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #274 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 14:52:29 »

Giving players stick if they are showing fuck all effort is one thing, giving players abuse because you don't think they're good enough is totally out of order. As long as they're trying their best, they should be encouraged, not slagged off.
From what I've seen of Smith this season no one can criticise his commitment or effort. Unfortunately a lot of our fans will get on players backs at the slightest opportunity and then stay on it regardless of whether the player improves.

It's not passion, it's fucking pointless and counter productive.

It's All Good..............
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 15:10:16 »

Im gonna give you stick tomorrow you old cunt
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 15:11:18 »

Think we'll have to beg to differ on this. No room for "abusing" town players in my book although you could argue some deserved it last season.

Smith doesn't seem to have given anything less than 100% in all the games i've seen. If your wife's view is that he's not good enough then that's fair enough but obviously differs from the manager's. Can undertand people get frustrated if a player isn't giving his all but from your post you simply implied that she doesn't like him so told him so.

It may = passionate but doesn't = supporting IMO.

Who said anything about abuse?

I said-

Jonathan Smiths treacle was sat a few seats away from us. She looked uncomfortable when SWMBO let him know exactly how low he is in her estimation.

I think her words were somehwere along the lines of "Come on Smith- that was Crap!" followed some time later by "Smith- CRAP AGAIN!"

Honesty- yes.

Abuse?

I think as a fan, she, I and everyone else has the right to express their opinion. If that opinion is negative, the player needs to know. Sometimes we spend too much time blowing sunshine up their arses in order that their feelings aren't hurt.

In the event that the team as a whole is going through a difficult period, she keeps her disdain under tight rein in order to not make the situation worse. She certainly didn't join in with the much deserved post match booing that we experienced last season.

In these circumstances, she feels Smith isn't cutting it in comparison with the rest of the team and lets him know.

Giving players stick if they are showing fuck all effort is one thing, giving players abuse because you don't think they're good enough is totally out of order. As long as they're trying their best, they should be encouraged, not slagged off.
From what I've seen of Smith this season no one can criticise his commitment or effort. Unfortunately a lot of our fans will get on players backs at the slightest opportunity and then stay on it regardless of whether the player improves.

If Smithy improves in her mind, she will get right behind him.

Example- Early this season, her opinion of De Vita was that he was lightweight and not up to it. He is currently her favourite player.

As for giving someone stick for showing fuck all effort- who decides what the evidence of effort is? You may think someone is showing the requisite fuck all in the effort stakes and give the player the much deserved (in your view at that time) stick. Another fan (SWMBO perhaps) may have a completely different view of that players effort/ contribution and come to the conclusion that your stick is totally undeserved.

Example- Phil Smith gets loads of shit on a frequent basis. He got a right earful off some fans away at Shrewsbury for their equaliser when he parried Ainsworth's shot and Gornell headed in the rebound. Now, from where we sat, that shot was a fucking belter and was moving all over the place. To keep it out was a result. That Gornell got to it wasn't Smiths fault. Smith looked devastated at the goal and the reaction of some of the fans. SWMBO expressed her opinion that Smith was not deserving of the stick. It was however just that- her opion but she stuck up for him.

In conclusion, she gives praise where she thinks it due, defends where she thinks it is needed and advises those she thinks need it that they need to pull their finger out.

Tell me you don't- ever?

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #277 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 15:23:24 »

Your mrs is a cunt.
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 16:02:08 »

I quite like Smith, and want him to be good. He seems to be improving with every game he plays as he adjusts to life in League 2.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 16:03:50 »

I quite like Smith, and want him to be good. He seems to be improving with every game he plays as he adjusts to life in League 2.

Agree with this. Over the last couple of matches I'm liking him and De Vita more and more.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 16:08:27 »

He's adjusting to the pace, I think technically he's a good midfielder, maybe could do with reigning in the tackling a touch but he's thinking quicker and moving the ball quicker than he has been. Him and Ferry are forming a good partenership imo.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 16:23:47 »

Who said anything about abuse?

I said-

I think her words were somehwere along the lines of "Come on Smith- that was Crap!" followed some time later by "Smith- CRAP AGAIN!"

Honesty- yes.

Abuse?

What fucking good does that do?? In what way does that benefit jonathan smith or the team as a whole??

Things get better but they never get good
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 16:37:25 »

Like most of us, I've travelled 300+ miles to watch Swindon but I've never bought into the notion of "I've come all this way and I'll shout what I want". Perhaps I'm just being soft.

Some players can be knobheads (Hasney Aljofree) and some can be frustrating (too many to mention) but Jonathan Smith? He's a hard working player who is only months into his first job in the Football League.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 17:55:03 »

Risser taking shit at the Cheltnumb game...out of order!

Clems Army!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Friday, October 21, 2011, 18:17:05 »

Agree with this. Over the last couple of matches I'm liking him and De Vita more and more.

De Vita has been our most consistent player the last six matches,nothing special but putting in a performance and obliging with the odd goal and assist.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: