Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FGR v Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 15561 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:27:13 »

Great match - if you were watching as a neutral!

Not sure what was going on in the first half, we started Ok but then the midfield just seemed to vanish neither supporting the attackers, challenging in midfield nor screening the defence, it honest felt like 11 v. 10 in FGR's favour in the first half as we seemed to be winning nothing and chasing our tails, defence were getting a lot of stick on here but not really sure what they were doing wrong regularly being left 2 on 2 or worse with others running at them, best shown when at one stage FGR had a 4 on 3 break and I was thinking 'if they can hold this for a couple of seconds midfielders will track back and appear' but literally no midfielders appeared in shot but thankfully FGR fucked it up.

Second half, not sure what Flynn changed, difficult to tell from a single camera but did he get Kinsella to actually screen the back 3 a bit (FWIW should have been red but in his defence don't think there was an ounce of malice in it, just on of those where he fucked up and lunged to try and get it back), generally we looked better and more cohesive.

As for players Mahoney did well (and possibly played the ball of the night if Kemp had been a bit quicker), cannot really fault the back 3, UGM possibly trying too hard and got away with a couple of fuck ups, FGT is pretty good and Brewitt just plays the no nonsense role, particularly needed when you have 2 of the back 3 quite keen to get forward, he seemed to relish the battle with Taylor and dragged Taylor into a physical battle where he seemed more interested in wrestling with Brewitt than playing football, he may have a rick in him, but if he didn't he wouldn't be playing in the 4th tier.

WB's did OK, Genesini did well, seemed to be getting pelters but again not really sure why, he seems desperate to curl one in, so perhaps when one goes in he may calm down a bit, Hutton did Ok.

Midfield all a bit meh, Kemp seemed to drift in and out of the game, ould be very visible for 10 minutes then vanish for 10, as for the other two *shrugs*.

Up front Austin presently cannot hit a cows arse with a banjo albeit that will no doubt come, what is frustrating with him is that much as with Kemp he seemed to play (again hard to tell with only a single camera) in fits and starts, would be everywhere for 10 then vanish for 10, for a period his main role seemed to be leading complains to the referee, Yong looks class and ran himself into the ground, his runs down the right channel could have yielded something time and time again if he had something other than a heavily marked Austin to aim for.

Oh and Cain did what he had to do when he came on.

So we are unbeaten in 3, above (the pre-season definitely going up) Wrexham and Stockport with a game in hand, but below the flying Crawley so all in all not so bad, not sure what people are expecting but the tone on SM doesn't seem to reflect that.  
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:28:02 »

Genius call. Wink

What was last night's crowd out of interest, anyone?

Looked like FGR had about 500 home fans from the highlights.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:30:26 »

Looked like FGR had about 500 home fans from the highlights.
Good to see a few in the home end celebrating FBT's winner too!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:34:06 »

Att: 3,265 with 1,221 in the away end  Wink

One on their forum asking why there were so many Swindon fans in the North and East stands .
Oldwembley69

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:35:04 »

Just so its recorded, we had a brick thrown and hitting our Barnes coach on the way out down the hill last night. No one hurt probably a sustainable brick!

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:35:25 »

They may as well give the small end behind the goal to teams with a large away following as they never fill it.

So, give no fucks
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:35:57 »

Att: 3,265 with 1,221 in the away end  Wink

One on their forum asking why there were so many Swindon fans in the North and East stands .

Enjoyed at least one fella behind the goal rocking an STFC shirt and scarf and generally not giving a flying fuck.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:37:26 »

Is my view after first visit. My lads first away game.
- The hill is a killer to walk up, only to be rewarded when you get to the top by a Quorn food truck. Fuck off.
- Some of our fans are inconsiderate. My lad is tiny, and could hardly see unless at the front. Come on people, please show some compassion and let us squeeze in.
- Thought our fans were quite quiet all game. FGR did make some impressive noise.
- We need to move the ball quicker.
- No strength in depth.
- Dokes again superb. Passionate but often falling out with Hutts.
- We were risky at times playing one on one at the back.
- How are hot pants allowed to be worn by a footballer?
- Vegans are cunts. (Sorry Bennett).
- Austin still frustrates me. Need to show some passion and get the lads heads up when we were 1 nil down. We felt sorry for ourselves. He had a few good chances, where the old Charlie would have finished. He needs to be in the box more.
- I love Kemp.
- The Kinsella foul didn't look that bad. High leg yes, but no studs showing. Looked accidental to me.
- FBT is superb.
- We are a very small team.
- I think we need a Darren Bullock type player.
- Dissent will not be tolerated, on how the FGR player found out. Players need to learn to keep it shut.
- 3 points were most important.

Great evening out with the boy. He was not up for anymore away games, thinking that all grounds are vegan. Stupid boy.

Nice and easy trip, but weird part of the country.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:45:00 by Sippo » Logged

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:38:09 »

FGR seem to think we were a nasty physical team - it's going to be a long season if they can't cope with the physicality of Town's mostly sub 6ft team, there's a lot nastier than us in this division!

Sippo, a Darren Bullock type player would get sent off every week!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:41:35 »

Steve McMahon then🤣

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #445 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:42:10 »

He used to get sent off every week back then too! now he would be on a season long ban!

We need a slightly younger Anthony Grant.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:44:50 »

Steve McMahon then🤣

20 secs in, I was at this game  Cheesy

Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:45:23 »

Think Jake Young looks a real find, albeit only 2 games in. Has strength, pace and is a little raw. Does sometimes struggle to get the ball out from under his feet, but think he looks dangerous, and isn’t someone who is afraid of taking a few players on. With RHM and Wakeling due to come back from injury, I wonder if he’s done enough in the eyes of Flynn to stay as the second striker alongside Austin.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #448 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:45:47 »

FGR seem to think we were a nasty physical team - it's going to be a long season if they can't cope with the physicality of Town's mostly sub 6ft team, there's a lot nastier than us in this division!

Not if we sign 3. We just missed that 'something' in midfield.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:46:37 »

A lot has already been said, but…

Positives from 30 minutes onwards. Poor until then. Our midfield lacked composure and was also failing to shield the back 3. Khan would help with that but I still think we need another one in there. McEachran in particular seemed lost.

Genesini looked fine, considering he’s out of position on the left. He had to cut back every time. If you saw him on the other side (which I hope we don’t need to much, on the basis we keep
Hutton) I think you’d see him more advanced and willing to attack the full back. Better than Ward was on Saturday.

Innis for them is a man mountain. On the one hand, I’d love a player like that. FBT couldn’t get close to him at corners and got lucky in the first half not being pulled up for shirt pulling at corners. Innis dwarfed him. But… the way we play, the centre backs have to be able to play, and Brewitt really can. If you put a big lump who was average on the ball at the back, we’d be exposed to any side that pressed high up the pitch, which most will nowadays.

Hutton saw so much of the ball - in particular when they were down to ten, but crosses were mainly floated, and dealt with relatively easily. If we are to make the most of him, we need to have players attacking from deep (midfield runners), as Austin and Young were at a standing start for most of those crosses. Alternatively, you put some pace in there (RHM) so that he can fizz them across.

The new yellow card rule (for tackling) is ridiculous, but both of those were valid (albeit slightly soft). Fully in support the new rules for chat back to the ref though. I think that part is working already.

Great winner. Deserved on balance.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 16, 2023, 08:48:59 by Frigby Daser » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31   Go Up
Print
Jump to: