Pages: 1 ... 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1228850 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #2850 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 18:22:50 »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/miami-no-homicide-seven-weeks/

No homicides in Miama for 7 weeks in a row, the first time since 1957!
Incredible 🤯
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #2851 on: Saturday, April 25, 2020, 22:33:08 »

Daily death rate goes up again. Over 20k people have died in 51 days.

I genuinely can't see how we are going to get out of it all. I still believe the lockdown could be more stringent?

If you look at the daily deaths on the date they occured (for England), you can see it trending down but you need to ignore the last 4/5 days of the chart.

Today it appears that a lot of old deaths have been registered in England.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #2852 on: Sunday, April 26, 2020, 06:27:21 »

Saw this on another forum and thought it interesting...

"I just want to point out something very important to understand and interpret government announcements and released data around the world.

Governments around the world are currently engaged in a process called "behaviour change communication" (BCC).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_ ... munication

I worked here for the European Commission in the early 2000's on a multi-year, multi-million BCC project.

The primary objective of BCC is not to increase the knowledge and understanding of the population, it's to provide the information most likely to modify their behaviour in a way that will result in the best public health outcomes.

In layman's terms you need to make them scared enough to follow the advice, but not so scared they begin acting irrationally.

So in Cambodia that meant making people scared enough of HIV to use condoms and not engage in high risk behaviours, but not so scared that they start stigmatising or acting out against high risk groups or carriers.

It's a delicate balancing act.

With Covid-19 that's also what's happening. The objective is to make people scared enough that they follow government advice but not so scared that they start acting irrationally (hording, not turning up to work for jobs deemed essential etc).

This is why we aren't being provided with detailed data regarding the health status and demographics of deaths. And why you should not treat government positions as gospel.

For example, if you told people that 99% of deaths are in people with existing co-morbidities, people without co-morbidities may be less inclined to follow advice, especially if it has an economic impact.

Just as telling people here 20 years ago, that if you or your partner weren't gay, a needle user or consumer/provider of prostitution your chances of contacting HIV we extremely low.

If you want to know what information your government currently thinks is best suited to maintain your continued compliance then listen to the news.

If you want to become knowledgeable on the disease and its impacts follow the daily stream of papers being released on sites like www.ssrn.com.

For example studies were indicating 6-8 weeks ago that the R value for this virus was much lower in environments with high temperature, humidity and UV exposure.

But as the message that summer will reduce the infectiousness was not aligned with current BCC objectives regarding lockdown compliance, that information would be treated with scepticism. While any study results are aligned with current BCC objectives will be prompted.

This also explains the differing information given between different countries. Countries with a highly compliant society don't need to turn the fear dial quite so far (e.g. Germany, Japan, Singapore, South Korea).

While countries with a more "relaxed" tradition with authority (e.g. Italy, Cambodia, Latin America) need the dial turned quite a lot higher to deliver compliance.

Anyway, just a thought I wanted to share."
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2853 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 10:55:38 »

See it can be done if everyone follow the rules of lockdown.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52436658

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2854 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 10:59:08 »

See it can be done if everyone follow the rules of lockdown.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52436658
Not just about everyone following the rules: the crucial part in the NZ success, like most of the countries that have been relatively successful in fighting it off, was that they took decisive action early on when they only had a few cases so preventing it from spreading. It will be interesting though to see whether they have any further outbreaks as they ease restrictions
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2855 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 11:00:03 »

I still think Easter Weekend was an opportunity missed. They could have closed all shops, and only emergency workers would be allowed to work. It was two bank holidays.

We could shut takeaways, but that's about it?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2856 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 11:01:53 »

I still think Easter Weekend was an opportunity missed. They could have closed all shops, and only emergency workers would be allowed to work. It was two bank holidays.
We missed the opportunity to contain this thing in Feb, not at Easter. By Easter it was already past peak
Banker

On The Bank

Ignore
« Reply #2857 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 11:07:16 »

Not just about everyone following the rules: the crucial part in the NZ success, like most of the countries that have been relatively successful in fighting it off, was that they took decisive action early on when they only had a few cases so preventing it from spreading. It will be interesting though to see whether they have any further outbreaks as they ease restrictions

'(NZ) mounted an extensive testing and contact tracing operation.' is also critical in containing any future outbreak.

The UK is still averaging around 4,500 new cases a day, it's been plateauing around that figure for quite a while now, no decline unlike other countries with stricter lockdowns. Needs to be in the hundreds, not thousands, and extensive testing and contact tracing in place before we countenance an easing of measures IMO.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #2858 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 11:07:25 »

Have we officially reached the peak yet?

When do we think Businesses will re-open?

I think when schools go back, the only way to social distance would be to have different days for different years. It is going to be hard.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2859 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 11:14:33 »

Have we officially reached the peak yet?
According to the Chief Medical Officer, it is believed we reached the peak of deaths in hospital on April 8th. That doesn't mean of course that it can't peak again if, for example, lockdown is lifted too early or not carefully enough.

When do we think Businesses will re-open?
Depends on the type of business clearly. Some never closed, others, like pubs, even pubs with beer gardens, are likely to be among the last to re-open. And football clubs, come to that.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2860 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 12:46:21 »

I think when schools go back, the only way to social distance would be to have different days for different years. It is going to be hard.
you have to think about inside the classroom too though.

for primary, I think you'd have to do half the class on alternate days so that desks could be separated.

even then it's rubbish.

if digital distancing is needed when schools open, obviously.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #2861 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 12:58:46 »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-prisons-testing-in/in-four-u-s-state-prisons-nearly-3300-inmates-test-positive-for-coronavirus-96-without-symptoms-idUSKCN2270RX?fbclid=IwAR0pSPCS9J20U_8VSqYBSGUoX37qOa028KjgMt5MA4AgKWxiPwDtaJhtE-I

Reuters is a trusted source isn't it? If this is accurate, it would be encouraging news.

Tldr: Ohio Jail holding 2,500 prisoners, many of them older with pre-existing health conditions, tested 2,300 inmates for the coronavirus and of the 2,028 who tested positive, close to 95% had no symptoms. 
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #2862 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 15:23:13 »

The same FT team that worked out that our true death toll is actually 43,500 rather than the 20k the govt are admitting (based on "excess deaths", the base line that Chris Whitty has also said should be used to measure deaths attributable to the pandemic), have now looked at that globally. They reckon the global death toll is likely to be being under-reported by 60%

https://www.ft.com/content/6bd88b7d-3386-4543-b2e9-0d5c6fac846c
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #2863 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 15:29:45 »

Highly probable - a previous Pandemic that had < 20k recorded deaths was changed to 200k with analysis after the fact.  That is always the way.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2864 on: Monday, April 27, 2020, 15:34:16 »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-prisons-testing-in/in-four-u-s-state-prisons-nearly-3300-inmates-test-positive-for-coronavirus-96-without-symptoms-idUSKCN2270RX?fbclid=IwAR0pSPCS9J20U_8VSqYBSGUoX37qOa028KjgMt5MA4AgKWxiPwDtaJhtE-I

Reuters is a trusted source isn't it? If this is accurate, it would be encouraging news.

Tldr: Ohio Jail holding 2,500 prisoners, many of them older with pre-existing health conditions, tested 2,300 inmates for the coronavirus and of the 2,028 who tested positive, close to 95% had no symptoms. 
That backs up FH’s post about different strains of COVID-19 - Kick Ass down to Julian Clary
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 190 [191] 192 193 194 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: