Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cox to sign for us tomorow according to the Adver  (Read 24216 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 07:59:08 »

http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.uk/display.var.2003730.0.cox_is_nearly_towns.php

TOWN expect Simon Cox to become their player within the next 48 hours as the new County Ground board throw their cash behind a late play-off push.

The Swindon Advertiser understand Reading have rejected Town's initial offer for the striker, estimated to be around £100,000, but chairman Andrew Fitton will meet the Royals' demands in the hunt for Championship football.

Town's 1-0 win at Luton last night leaves them five points off the top six and the club hierarchy believe Cox is the man to fire them towards the play-offs.

The Advertiser understand Town could ultimately be forced to pay in excess of £200,000 for the 20-year-old, with Premier League Reading refusing to relent in their high demands.

It is also understood Maurice Malpas is closing in on a creative midfielder from the Championship ahead of the close of the transfer window at midnight tomorrow, with Fitton & co showing the ambition that will excite all Robins fans.

With Ibon Arrieta and Mauro Almeida having agreed deals to leave the club and the third of the BEST Holdings trio, Franklin Anzite, set to depart soon, Town's wage bill has been eased just in time.
advertisement

Morecambe and Forest Green Rovers are just two clubs believed to be chasing Town defender Chris Blackburn, with the arrival of Pat Kanyuka suggesting his County Ground days could soon be coming to an end.

Cox became an instant hero in Wiltshire during a successful three-month loan spell earlier this season.

He scored nine goals between the end of August and New Year's Day and manager Maurice Malpas sees him as the fox-in-the-box' needed to add to attacking options.

League One rivals Northampton Town have also stated their confidence of landing Cox in the next couple of days.

But it is believed his own desire to return to Swindon, and the board's money, should see Town win the race for his permanent signature.

Reading have been keen to keep hold of the frontman but, with his contract out this summer and him desperate for regular football, they have decided to cut their losses.

Town were remaining tight-lipped on the subject last night, wary of any premature announcement.

But unless there are any last-minute last complications, Cox could be running out at the County Ground against Northampton on Saturday.

Speaking after last night's victory, Malpas said: "Everyone knows who I am trying to get.

"The chairman is working his tail off for that and it is a case of can we get something done before Thursday?

"The chairman has to do his bit and I will have to do mine if we agree a deal.

"I can't talk to the player until the clubs are in agreement. The chairman has taken a lot of the pressure off me by doing all the scavenging work.

"He is on the phone a lot and starts a deal off and it is up to me to finish it off in terms of speaking to the player and getting his contract done. The way we have gone about it so far has worked.

"We have moved the goalposts for him and the midfield player.

"I have spoken with the club and we are going to get a decision possibly tomorrow (Wednesday) so it could be a hectic tomorrow or Thursday.

On the departure of the BEST Holdings trio, he added: "It has released some money.

"They were never going to play so it is best for them and best for the club.

"Now we will try to get more players in and more players out. If we can get some business done it will be great.

"We are trying to get one or two out. The ball is in their court really.

"Franklin Anzite has been offered a settlement and it is his to decide.

"Another player is talking to other clubs and it is a case of whether he wants to go.

"Ideally we would like him to go and the chairman says we can then get other people.''

[/code]
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 08:01:31 »

Thats news to me  Cheesy

Must be Adams who is off or blackburn

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 08:14:52 »

Thats excellent news Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 08:15:02 »

Quote from: "Bushey Boy"
Thats news to me  Cheesy

Must be Adams who is off or blackburn

Keep up Ashley. He's already gone.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 08:19:11 »

Quote from: "jjedmunds"
Thats excellent news Smiley

We need some Nike inspiration - just fucking do it.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 09:02:10 »

This is a fucking disgrace, so Fitton and co take over the club and now they start buying players.  We'd be better off with the Newbury lot.  If the're not serious about this club then what's the point in this takeover?

Just thought I'd have a moan about this as obviously this news won't be good enough for some.

Can we now please for the love of God get off the backs of our new messiahs.  They are here to do the business, they will choose how to spend their money and when to spend it.
STFC_Gazzza

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 09:03:37 »

I want to know Barts thoughts now
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 09:13:54 »

Exactly Gazzz, I think we all need a new mind set here, Fitton is proving himself to be the chairman we've always wanted.  If this story is true and we've just matched Reading's asking price then this should be a message to all Town fans, "leave the financial side of the club to us and just get behind the team".

It's gonna be difficult to let go of worrying about the behind the scenes stuff but let's put a bit of trust in the new custodians of the club.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 09:19:24 »

If we do get him Im looking forward to seeing the views of Northampton fans as they are convinced hes theirs.  I like being the club with the upper hand  Cheesy
STFC_Gazzza

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 09:21:43 »

Quote from: "STFCLady"
If we do get him Im looking forward to seeing the views of Northampton fans as they are convinced hes theirs.  I like being the club with the upper hand  Cheesy

I Know sad pricks!  
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 09:22:08 »

Why are we signing a Reading reject? If we have any ambition we should be signing better strikers than Cox. [/bart]
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 09:23:06 »

There was once a time that players dropped to teams the league below as opposed to sign for us.  Im grateful that day has gone.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 09:27:52 »

I was just saying to a fellow Town work colleague.  When was the last time that we signed a player who was actively being courted by another club in the same division.

(not getting ahead of myself realise we haven't signed him just yet).
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 09:27:52 »

Good news, but lets not get too exited yet - there are no official quotes saying that this is the case just yet.

The adver has got over-exited before.

Also, What is fitton doing? He said he wanted the club run well, now he is spunking money on players. blah blah blah pointless moaning blah
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, January 30, 2008, 09:29:09 »

Got to say Colin, the Adver this season has been pretty good.  Been very happy with their Town reporting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: