Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where and why  (Read 18621 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 19:44:37 »

Therefore why?

Coz "we're by far the greatest team...."  Old fella born near Baydon and although I was born In Reading I'm a Newbury boy. What other choice was there?  As for that Wolves game, I got my first ever warning letter for skipping work and going to that.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 19:46:13 »

Maximum wage!

Think I've done this before....oh well you know what I mean.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 20:01:31 »

Coz "we're by far the greatest team...."  Old fella born near Baydon and although I was born In Reading I'm a Newbury boy. What other choice was there?  As for that Wolves game, I got my first ever warning letter for skipping work and going to that.

Out of interest, where is 'near' Baydon that isn't actually Baydon? If you see what I mean. Russley Park?
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 20:06:20 »

No idea, it was the temp buildings they erected after ww2 I think. Haven't driven through there for years so don't know if they are still there?
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 20:15:22 »

Where - not especially auspicious:

I was 10 and living in Cold Ash near Newbury - parents not into football but local garage owner used to take me with his mistress on a Saturday.  We had the posh seats in the old Shrivvy stand.

Why - could not but fall instantly, deeply and irrevocably in love:

First game was 1966 I think, a 4-0 win against Southend and the Don, still a growing boy really, scored twice in the first 20 minutes.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 20:18:32 »

How do you work that out, when I've only missed going regularly for around 5 years in the last 20 for reasons given?  I can't remember the other 15 years being all glory?  Hmmm
It was a joke, sorry - it just reminded me of all the furore over the Wembley tickets and the so-called plastic daytrippers. No offence intended.

I'm far more plastic than you.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 22:01:33 »

No idea, it was the temp buildings they erected after ww2 I think. Haven't driven through there for years so don't know if they are still there?

Could well be Russley Park.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 22:10:05 »

It was a joke, sorry - it just reminded me of all the furore over the Wembley tickets and the so-called plastic daytrippers. No offence intended.

I'm far more plastic than you.

None taken.  I did wonder whether you were joking, you should have added a  Wink for confirmation.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 22:14:35 »

I went/got taken to my first game in 1976 v Palace (1-1) Dave Syrett scored for us.

I only really got the urge to start going to football regularly as a spotty teenager in the early 80's. At that point I was living in Cornwall (to be fair I wasn't spotty, I had a very nice George Michael tan and highlights - seriously - it was a long time ago though!). If I'd stayed there, I would have started going to Plymouth. At that same time I did have a chance of a job near Derby so I could have started going there. As things worked out, I got a job back in Swindon so that was that. I'm pretty happy how things worked out.
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Friday, September 24, 2010, 23:58:49 »

From Devizes, dad grew up watching the town and took me to my first game one boxing day against Brentford, won 2-1 i believe.

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Saturday, September 25, 2010, 07:37:47 »

Lived in Scotland as a youngster and Dad used to take me and the right back's father to see Ayr United every week. Dad's family are mainly Swindon fans and some were up north during a pre-season tour so my first Swindon game was away at Ayr United in the mid 70's which my memory has as a 3-0 Swindon win. Would like to confirm that someday.

Moved back to Swindon in 1977, and my cousin took me to the Town End for home games from the age of 10. Couldn't help but get drawn in with the aforementioned League Cup run in 1980 including a trip to Molineux where Mel Eves caused long term disappointment with a cross type shot keeping us from Wembley. Also remember Andy Rowland hitting the bar early on at Anfield before we lost 5-0.

Since living in Swindon I've seen the team do the full cycle from 3rd Division, down to 4th and up to the Premier and all the way back to the old third again. Hopefully the upward part of the cycle is about to repeat itself!
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Saturday, September 25, 2010, 09:54:32 »

I've been to Somerset Park - FACT! Nice part of the world.
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, September 25, 2010, 10:31:28 »

Very fond memories of Somerset Park parking in the racecourse car park. Coincided with the Ally McLeod glory days!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: