Pages: 1 ... 872 873 874 [875] 876 877 878 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2043335 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13110 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:43:34 »

Feels like the entire way the economy runs is a giant Ponzi scheme. We’re getting scammed!

Bring basic services back under government control - water, energy, transport.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #13111 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:54:19 »

The country is over populated with too many spongers bleeding us dry.

So, give no fucks

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13112 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 16:56:24 »

Yeah. It’s all his fault.

* IMG_0335.jpeg (21.13 KB, 184x223 - viewed 66 times.)
Outletred

Ignore
« Reply #13113 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 18:25:14 »

There are too many people in this country not contributing but taking everything out including use of public services

Just ask yourselves what proportion of the working age adult population are net contributors in terms of tax/NI- or they pay more than they get back in benefits/consume in public services. Bet it’s not a high proportion and there’s the problem.

I don’t include pensioners in that as yes they need more from the NHS for example but have worked for up to 50 years
« Last Edit: Friday, February 23, 2024, 20:01:17 by Outletred » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #13114 on: Friday, February 23, 2024, 23:41:22 »

There are too many people in this country not contributing but taking everything out including use of public services

Just ask yourselves what proportion of the working age adult population are net contributors in terms of tax/NI- or they pay more than they get back in benefits/consume in public services. Bet it’s not a high proportion and there’s the problem.

I think sometimes it is easy to only judge tax on earnings but tbh, there are also plenty of ''hidden'' taxes in every day purchases. Like fuel, it might not be a ''tax'' that it deducted from our income and it is of course a lifestyle choice {a pretty popular one} for method of transport but we all know the tax on that is passed onto the consumer. Like wise with many foods too. So many people are probably paying a tax offset that they don't really consider.

Let's also not get too much into energy and other household utilities. Yes, I have a fair idea of how the energy industry works but we shouldn't really be creating a divisive argument amongst the masses {I'm alright jack vs super scroungers vs average joe}; not when these companies are making astronomical and frankly obscene profits. This is something any government could change and I don't buy that it would deter investors. They're making shitloads as it is. Time to tighten the belt on that area, especially when many of the aforementioned masses, actually are genuinely struggling, or having to make conscious choices when it comes to heating their households.

Any relative austere times to a national economy should never pit society against each other, they should in fact be uniting as a consensus but I do think there is a societal issue in this country where mini ''class'' divides are created amongst ourselves across society. Yet in reality, there is not a lot between these perceived ''classes'' other than who has a better credit rating or something.

In the main, and I don't know the complete data, but I think there are something like 25 - 30 million UK taxpayers. Paying anything from 20 - 45 percent income tax on anything over c13k GBP. I would say there's probably not a massive minus when it comes to what people put in to what they take out. There will be some outliers either way for sure, but most average/healthy/boring lolz people will probably put in more than they take out.

I don't agree with your opening statement though but I would be happy if you were to provide a paper/journal link that backed it up. Especially when disregarding pensioners and people non-adults with the focus primarily on working age individuals.

Here's a couple to back up my thoughts that we definitely pay in more than take out over the course of a lifetime:

https://ifs.org.uk/news/more-nine-ten-individuals-pay-more-taxes-they-receive-social-security-over-their-lifetime

https://ifs.org.uk/publications/redistribution-lifetime-perspective

« Last Edit: Friday, February 23, 2024, 23:46:45 by BambooToTheFuture » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13115 on: Saturday, February 24, 2024, 00:12:36 »

That’s why there were hoping Covid would take out a few more pensioners than it did.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #13116 on: Saturday, February 24, 2024, 11:58:50 »

I don't agree with your opening statement though but I would be happy if you were to provide a paper/journal link that backed it up. Especially when disregarding pensioners and people non-adults with the focus primarily on working age individuals.

Here's a couple to back up my thoughts that we definitely pay in more than take out over the course of a lifetime:

https://ifs.org.uk/news/more-nine-ten-individuals-pay-more-taxes-they-receive-social-security-over-their-lifetime

https://ifs.org.uk/publications/redistribution-lifetime-perspective

Great reply. I was also going to ask for some sources from Outletred but I'm pretty sure it's just an opinion with no basis in fact.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #13117 on: Saturday, February 24, 2024, 12:17:36 »

That's exactly what the elite and government want you to do.
Blame those less fortunate.
Instead, focus your ire on the tax dodging billionaires who are the real problem.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #13118 on: Saturday, February 24, 2024, 12:56:37 »

Bernie Ecclestone is a prime example😁

So, give no fucks
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13119 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 13:57:12 »

Budget day, last budget before the election would normally be giveaway day for whoever the government of the day are trying to buy a few votes.

Not a huge amount in it, another cut to National Insurance, but no rise to income tax thresholds which feels like it'll probably balance out for most earners. Otherwise a bit of fiddling at the margins. Main winners I suppose are motorists with an extended cut to fuel duty, but that tax has been not rising as it's meant to for about a decade now so not sure people will really notice. Anyone see anything interest in it?
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 14:02:17 by Nemo » Logged
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #13120 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 14:34:47 »

Rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

The extra £400 odd increase in annual beer allowance is welcome.

I guess that they'll look to cling on until October time now & hope that "the plan" will save them.

We appear to be a stagNation.
Not alone in that though.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 15:21:03 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13121 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 15:37:14 »

What needs addressing is Council Tax. Was reading about getting away from it being based on the house but on disposable income of the inhabitants. 3% was the figure used, so an annual take home of £30,000 would be £900 per year, £100,000 would be £3000. More you have the more you pay. Seems fair.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13122 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 15:40:52 »

What needs addressing is Council Tax. Was reading about getting away from it being based on the house but on disposable income of the inhabitants. 3% was the figure used, so an annual take home of £30,000 would be £900 per year, £100,000 would be £3000. More you have the more you pay. Seems fair.

Isn't that... income tax?

I think there's a lot to be said for tax simplification, but there needs to be some tax on wealth as well as on income.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13123 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 15:45:08 »

This is the article

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/01/local-democracy-disposable-income-council-tax
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #13124 on: Wednesday, March 6, 2024, 16:48:42 »

Budget day, last budget before the election would normally be giveaway day for whoever the government of the day are trying to buy a few votes.

Not a huge amount in it, another cut to National Insurance, but no rise to income tax thresholds which feels like it'll probably balance out for most earners. Otherwise a bit of fiddling at the margins. Main winners I suppose are motorists with an extended cut to fuel duty, but that tax has been not rising as it's meant to for about a decade now so not sure people will really notice. Anyone see anything interest in it?

I saw Tory MP Gullis stating on twitter yesterday that we could all enjoy being £16.50 better off every time we fill up the fuel tanks on our cars. Yippee

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 872 873 874 [875] 876 877 878 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: