Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Sutton United pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 26200 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 06:50:22 »

Well that looks to me like the keeper didn't get a touch on the ball. Will rewatch on slo-mo on iFollow and see if it brings looks different. Reed wins it to take it beyond the Keeper and I'm looking at Reeds trailing/following leg and the Keeper's extended hand...it looks like the Keeper makes contact with Reeds trailing leg to me.

The difficulty here is that the camera angle is bang plumb almost with the time of the event. If it were at square leg, it would be much more conclusive!

In any case I think there are two things here meaning the ref should retract his decision. There is either contact from the Keeper with Reed's leg and therefore the ref should have awarded a penalty or it is reasonable to assume, with such momentum in that moment that Reed would anticipate contact from the Keeper - considering their relative positions at the time of the event and the ref should just allow play to continue.

It should be retracted but seeing how shite the ref was, he'll probably see no issue with his decision and will probably refuse to view any video evidence and is likely sipping his 8th Horlicks of the evening!

Disagree. Have only seen that camera angle and it looks a dive to me.

If Reed 'anticipates contact' its a dive and its cheating! The way the ref performed last night it was a yellow card. If I'd been refereeing (not that I'm qualified) I would have given Sutton a free kick and had a strong word with Reed rather than send him off.

But, again in the ref's shoes, if I'd made the decision that it was a yellow, I wouldn't rescind it based on what I see there.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 06:52:54 »

Yeah, blatant dive I'm afraid. I hate it when I hear pundits saying "if you 'feel' some contact you have to go down"...they are basically advocating diving...stupid f***wits...
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 08:04:58 »

Watched it about 10 times and still 100% convinced all of Sutton’s players were offside on that free kick.
Reeds looks like a dive but McKirdy should have finished it first

Was level with the free kick.
Livid as 4 were offside as ball was delivered.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 08:09:39 »

That was a tough ugly win.
First 25 minutes we were excellent and playing through them.

Once they scored it became a battle.
Credit to Frenchy stepping up, thought he didn’t have a bad game. Him at Conroy dealt with the direct bombardment exceptionally well as did JoJo.
They really are a typical shite clogging direct league two side.

Officials shocking.

Cracking 3 points with other teams at the top having relatively easier fixtures.
Getting tight at the top and we are in the pack.
McKirdy excellent last night.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 08:21:09 »

Was level with the free kick.
Livid as 4 were offside as ball was delivered.

Camera angle pretty much view I got from the DRS last night.
It looked easily offside in real time & watching it back from that angle it’s blatant. God knows how the linesman missed it! Wasn’t the only thing he missed either some very dubious throw on calls too.

Reeds looks like a dive from that angle but I do wonder if the keeper hand has got Reeds back foot. Another angle would be better. I think diving is shitty at the best of time but Reed has taken the ball past the keeper. We have an open goal. If a player would rather dive than tap it into the empty net then that’s just poor.
Even more so if he intent was to also get the GK sent off. Sutton are down to the bare bones as it is. Simulating to get their keeper sent off is a massively shitty thing to do…
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 08:27:54 »

To be fair it looks like McKirdy's goal was offside too, unless there is a player out of the picture - two wrong decisions on two of the goals cancelling each other out  Grin
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 08:29:17 »

Still can't believe we had 60%+ possession last night. The ball was in our end for most of the second half. Thought Sutton were a poor man's Port Vale.
Strange game, if we actually attacked throughout rather than one or two attacks at pace (which resulted in us scoring) we would have won that comfortably. Think we made it harder than it should have been. They were there for the taking. But it did feel like we were playing the officials too.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 08:33:50 by 4D » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 08:43:43 »

I haven't seen all of it back but their goal was a travesty. Never a free kick and there was about 4 or 5 of them well offside. I thought McKirdy might have been offside for our 2nd as well.

Penalty - not sure. He went down easy but my mate in the Town End is certain there was contact. It's a shitter though as we are absolute pish without Reed.

Generally the officials were awful. I felt like we were telling the lino on the DRS side towards the bank when people were offside, he didn't have a clue. Referee made some really puzzling decisions. Davison YET AGAIN gets his shirt ripped off his back and gets nothing. I suppose we should be used to that being in League Two!

Overall though, very happy with the performance. Considering how often we complain about our ability to defend balls into the box, Conroy and Baudry did a fantastic job last night. We'd be talking about a 2nd consecutive clean sheet if not for the officials. Think if we'd shown a bit more oomph going forward we could have got a few more as the chances were there.

I've seen Sutton twice this season and I've no idea how they are in and around the top 7, but fair play to them they obviously have a system that works on a wage budget that I guess it's in the lower ends of the division. I feel like they could be a staple "difficult to beat" League Two side for years to come.

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 08:53:58 »

Thought we were going to run riot as we started the game really well. Oh well, still go the result despite making hard work of it. The ref and lino's were poor but they didn't change the result or influence it. Their goal and our winner both looked offside to me. Reed rightly booked for diving and the first was a clear yellow too.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 08:56:33 »

If Josh Davison could release the ball 2 seconds quicker he’d be a brilliant target man, he always seems to take an extra, unnecessary touch and lose the ball because of it.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:15:39 »

My view of a still from the basic highlights is that the scorer of Sutton's goal was NOT offside but played fractionally onside (or at the very least level) by a retreating Davison.  Izzi (the leftermost Sutton player) got the better of some pushing and pulling to leave Baudry completely in his wake.  

Wouldn't call the well-placed lino's call a mistake.

The guy next to him was offside and may have been interfering with play but that may have been a harsh call.  I'm no expert on the laws.

https://imgur.com/zCLc6nQ
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:22:14 by RedRag » Logged
dphunt88

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:20:23 »

If Josh Davison could release the ball 2 seconds quicker he’d be a brilliant target man, he always seems to take an extra, unnecessary touch and lose the ball because of it.

Said the exact same thing to a friend on the way home last night. Does the first bit really well, pins the centre half, but then frustratingly often turns back into trouble / takes extra touch, where he could release the ball and spin away.

He's extremely likeable though, incredible work-rate and does give us a bit of muscle through the middle. Very composed finish for the goal, where others would have snatched at it and missed. Fair play.

Davison's now got 4 goals in 12 starts, which is probably a fair reflection of the career he'll have in the bottom two tiers. Workhorse, benefitting others around him, and chipping in with 1 goal in 3 starts.

Enthusiastic Loathed Strangers Podcast contributor.
Local media whore.
Ernie Hunt's second cousin, honest!
Overweight local cricket all-rounder!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:23:10 »

To be fair it looks like McKirdy's goal was offside too, unless there is a player out of the picture - two wrong decisions on two of the goals cancelling each other out  Grin

He’s behind Williams.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:28:28 »

My view of a still from the basic highlights is that the scorer of Sutton's goal was NOT offside but played fractionally onside (or at the very least level) by a retreating Davison.  Izzi (the leftermost Sutton player) got the better of some pushing and pulling to leave Baudry completely in his wake.  

Wouldn't call the well-placed lino's call a mistake.

The guy next to him was offside and may have been interfering with play but that may have been a harsh call.  I'm no expert on the laws.

https://imgur.com/zCLc6nQ

That's interesting.
Two of them still look offside to me from that image.
Not sure what the ref is looking at, but shouldn't he be keeping an eye out for possible fouls ahead of the ball coming over.

Edit. Yes, the scorer may well have been onside from watching the highlights.
Not sure it was a foul on Baudry who looked to be wrong side to start with.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:34:35 by Wobbly Bob » Logged

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2022, 09:29:25 »

Said the exact same thing to a friend on the way home last night. Does the first bit really well, pins the centre half, but then frustratingly often turns back into trouble / takes extra touch, where he could release the ball and spin away.

He's extremely likeable though, incredible work-rate and does give us a bit of muscle through the middle. Very composed finish for the goal, where others would have snatched at it and missed. Fair play.

Davison's now got 4 goals in 12 starts, which is probably a fair reflection of the career he'll have in the bottom two tiers. Workhorse, benefitting others around him, and chipping in with 1 goal in 3 starts.
Fair assessment, DPH.  He may not be the Messiah but some of the criticism he took settling into a changing squad did seem harsh.  Love his workrate and muscle and, as you point out, he does bring a helpful dimension to the team. Call it a long pass or a hoof, he is certainly an alternative outlet for Garner's Plan A for moving it out of defence.  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: