Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Friday are we going to sign any strikers thread?  (Read 17618 times)
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 19:32:41 »

fair dos mate...WHEN we sign our new striker(s), well soon be moaning that we need a new ground...
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 19:43:18 »

Hi Jim.....know ones really having a big go at the club..ware all pleased how the club has progressed....but a non lge club wouldnt go into the season with one striker.......its going to be a week to get one at least..three matches at least....just because the club has progressed dosnt mean we havnt got expectations...i dont want mid table security as a fan..we got big bucks for Cox so there is no excuse not to have at least one decent front man on the back of that.
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 20:02:30 »

Hi Jim.....know ones really having a big go at the club..ware all pleased how the club has progressed....but a non lge club wouldnt go into the season with one striker.......its going to be a week to get one at least..three matches at least....just because the club has progressed dosnt mean we havnt got expectations...i dont want mid table security as a fan..we got big bucks for Cox so there is no excuse not to have at least one decent front man on the back of that.

fair points made lee...so what are your expectations for the season? my expectations are to win more games than we lose(with me in attendance for all the wins of course) which will hopefully equate to a top-half finish, but I know if we almost make the play-offs it'll be because we took X weeks to get a striker in at the start of the season.

I am trying to fathom out what more they can do....maybe they aint had enough 'blue sky thinking' time.....maybe Wilson dont want someone coming in thats billy big spuds earning a lot more dollar than the rest and causing unrest in the squad? We sound like we're quite a tight-knit pack at the mo so we need a grafter/goal scorer....anyone?.....anyone?....I see Mr Loverman, 'Kabba' signed for Brentford yest? would he have done the job? would that have been setting our sights too high? or too low?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 20:15:11 »

My expectations are to watch attractive football.....yes we will lose matches playing attacking football but the amount we pay out each week to watch entitles us to some entertainement.
As for the striker........well DW has made it clear that he wants a certain kind..fast and nippy playing off Paynter....i would have kept Joyce as backup..the signing of Douglas and Cuthbert was top notch....but the ace in the pack could be Obrien if he starts well...all i am worried about is if Paynter gets a knock in the first 5 mins tomorow ware does that leave us...............hope to see you at a match Jimbob and grab that beer.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #94 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 20:23:07 »

Not sure jimbob, Paynter's signing didn't really inspire me at the time and he's not the type of player who has that buzz around him (unlike Cox for example), but he's been a steady and decent performer and has contributed to the team very nicely. Also he's improved a lot since joining in my opinion (ok I'll admit I'm a bit of a Paynter fan)!

If we got a similar sort of player, obviously with different attributes on the pitch but I hope you can fathom what I mean then that would be good.

We'll see what comes by the end of August though I guess. If we don't get someone exciting in and we've struggled up front I will expect we'll have some unhappy posts but to tell you the truth I just want the lack of options rectified more than anything.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 20:28:15 »

Agree Sie about Paynter,still only 25.....big season for him.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 20:29:54 »

fair dos mate...WHEN we sign our new striker(s), well soon be moaning that we need a new ground...

but we don't need a new stadium (someone had to say it).
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #97 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 20:31:49 »

It's pretty shit that we've only got one ground as well
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 20:35:30 »

My expectations are to watch attractive football.....yes we will lose matches playing attacking football but the amount we pay out each week to watch entitles us to some entertainement.
As for the striker........well DW has made it clear that he wants a certain kind..fast and nippy playing off Paynter....i would have kept Joyce as backup..the signing of Douglas and Cuthbert was top notch....but the ace in the pack could be Obrien if he starts well...all i am worried about is if Paynter gets a knock in the first 5 mins tomorow ware does that leave us...............hope to see you at a match Jimbob and grab that beer.

set pieces are the way forward :-)

up for that beer for sure.....but remember 1st rule of beer club? correct, no-one talks about lack of strikers!
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 20:53:02 »

Not sure jimbob, Paynter's signing didn't really inspire me at the time and he's not the type of player who has that buzz around him (unlike Cox for example), but he's been a steady and decent performer and has contributed to the team very nicely. Also he's improved a lot since joining in my opinion (ok I'll admit I'm a bit of a Paynter fan)!

If we got a similar sort of player, obviously with different attributes on the pitch but I hope you can fathom what I mean then that would be good.

We'll see what comes by the end of August though I guess. If we don't get someone exciting in and we've struggled up front I will expect we'll have some unhappy posts but to tell you the truth I just want the lack of options rectified more than anything.

agreed Paynter has improved for sure.....back in May, I honestly thought he would have been mostly spending this coming season on the bench....

as for lack of options Si Pie, I too want this rectified, but lets not waste money ala Casal

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 21:01:07 »

the longer it takes to get a striker in,the bigger the risk of the player being a gamble.wilson has identified targets, and not got them for reasons we can speculate on.i am convinced money,or lack of is the main reason.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 21:05:27 »

i'm on the fence.

i can't help but feel that not signing any strikers by this stage is pretty foolish and a failure on behalf of those involved BUT i also feel that the club are taking a sensible approach in getting the right player(s) in and not just any old junk to make up numbers. look at our signings this year, all from 'bigger' teams or from a higher division.

part of me would prefer to see macklin given a run out instead of us signing a youngster from another team but that's how we got parkin and cox...

and some people are still talking about sundgot as a target on the adver site/forums. i didn't realise they were that gullible.
jimbob

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 21:10:39 »

the longer it takes to get a striker in,the bigger the risk of the player being a gamble.wilson has identified targets, and not got them for reasons we can speculate on.i am convinced money,or lack of is the main reason.

I'm not so sure about it being a bigger risk...I reckon DW will have enough to choose from come the end of August, when some strikers get restless as they aint getting in the squad as expected...cant think of many, but lets say Deon Burton for talking sake....altogether now, 'Deon Burton for talking sake'.....I'd settle for Alan Smith from the Toon though....

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 21:17:22 »

i guess time will tell jimbob.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Friday, August 7, 2009, 21:32:31 »

A shitty fan on TFF is saying that we are getting Trundle in on a 4 month loan deal!

Make of it what you will!

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: