Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 53   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lindsey gone  (Read 62501 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 17:29:23 »

none of those are bad players so i don't think sandro can be blamed for those which was the original point.

sprinkle those on top of players that are ready now: well we have reed, jephcott, williams and austin that should walk into any team in league 2 and would probably get some game time in the league above.

we all know that hasnt been the case and im looking forward to seeing how a new manager can make it click. if nothing changes then its validated

I am not arguing they are bad players, just not good enough to improve what we had.  What we had was not good enough to get promoted and getting promoted should be the absolute top priority for any season in Div 4 for our club.

Austin appears an outlier - Clem seems to have taken the bull by the horns on that one.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 17:36:03 »

I am not arguing they are bad players, just not good enough to improve what we had.  What we had was not good enough to get promoted and getting promoted should be the absolute top priority for any season in Div 4 for our club.

Austin appears an outlier - Clem seems to have taken the bull by the horns on that one.

last season we were good enough for promotion. i don't how we managed to recruit that 2 weeks before the season but we did.

garner over the winter period was a disaster. the fans were begging for a formation change- especially at home. we finally started to get going again with a combination of formation and also the fans stepped up big time.

even after garners reluctance to change we were still just 2 playoff semi-final winning penalties to get us to wembley.

payne and mckirdy were huge losses and they were probably irreplaceable for the style of player that garner and lindsey like to play. jephcott should on paper be a better goalscorer than davison, wollacott and brynn no great loss.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 17:43:21 »

Regressing might have been a better term. The World Cup holiday came at the completely wrong time for him & for us imo

Williams to me, isn’t getting involved enough (or as much as he was early season) but I put that down to tactics / formation / style of play rather than Williams personally.
I'm quoting this message, but am referring to several on this page.

I personally think that last year's players have 'regressed' because of what is missing from the team.

Payne did an awful lot of running which helped Reed out immensely. Having McKirdy in the side gave teams more to worry about than just Williams. Williams got a bit more space and freedom as a consequence. With that freedom, he was able to play more in the middle and link very well with Iandolo, who did the same in return.

So, I don't think they have regressed as such. They are trying just as hard, but I think their impact on games has lessened. That is because the quality around them has reduced and given them less opportunity to shine.

As for those brought in:
Brynn looks a worldbeater at times and fragile at others
Khan I like the look of. But, he can be a bit predictable and naiive.
Hutton. Poor defender. Tricky winger. Inconsistent crosser.
Darcy. Runs around a lot. Bit lightweight. Looks like Payne but not as good
Wakeling. Has a bit of poacher about him. Cannot play anywhere other than the middle
Jephcott. Given no service.
Adeloye. Looks non-league to me.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:16:34 »

last season we were good enough for promotion. i don't how we managed to recruit that 2 weeks before the season but we did.

But we were not promoted, which is a failure under normal circumstances.

We did not replace what we lost with equal quality (based on evidence thus far - bar maybe one central defender and a GK) and we certainly did not enhance the quality we ended the season with (nobody we have signed is better than last seasons equivalent based on what we have produced - Austin could be, who knows).
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:21:01 »

But we were not promoted, which is a failure under normal circumstances.

We did not replace what we lost with equal quality (based on evidence thus far - bar maybe one central defender and a GK) and we certainly did not enhance the quality we ended the season with (nobody we have signed is better than last seasons equivalent based on what we have produced - Austin could be, who knows).

I would say Clayton is a notable upgrade on any CDs from last season. Gladwin an upgrade on Gladwin last season. Beyond that I agree.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:25:34 »

Clayton = End of season Baudry or O'Brien in terms of ability right now I'd say.  The benefit of Clayton is he is our player so we at least do not lose him as quickly, hopefully.  edit:  Long term I think he looks to have the ability to be a better Conroy.  I think I posted he'd be worth a shot in midfield when he first broke into the team.

I think Gladwin has been a bit of both - some earlier games he was the heartbeat, more recently not so much.  It is noteworthy that he and Williams were rotated last season.  Both have come off their peak performance in the past few weeks.
« Last Edit: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:29:27 by RobertT » Logged
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:27:57 »

Anyway, Lindsey.  I'm still not really sure I knew what I thought of him, assuming he has indeed left the building.  It did appear he added little and was likely just trying to continue what Garner put in place.  Maybe lacking his own invention, which would explain why our results have at best been random, not like they were born of any great plan.
oxonrobin

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:35:47 »

I think they all are well off their peak of late. I fucking hope so anyway!

As a general trend early season I was getting really angry at our shape and cluelessness without the ball. Defensively we were appalling, that element has, to my eye improved.

However that seems to have been at the expense of any sort of attacking/final third presence, nobody is looking particularly impressive this side of the Mansfield game.

Oh, I would have also said Brynn as a potential upgrade,odd in hindsight that Wollacott was dropped towards the end, Brynn a higher ceiling, but of late has decided to flap at crosses  Huh?
« Last Edit: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:51:06 by oxonrobin » Logged
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:47:30 »

David Artell

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/01/06/exclusive-quotes-david-artell-issues-come-get-me-call-to-swindon-town/
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:50:18 »

So, we’re getting compo for Lindsey

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Friday, January 6, 2023, 18:51:23 »

Pulled a blinder there
skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #176 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 08:18:29 »

Can anyone actually confirm if he has left or if the club are trying to convince him to stay or anything in between? The radio silence from the club is frustrating.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 08:21:02 »

Convince him to stay?

Good God, I couldn’t contemplate that!
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 08:35:33 »

Can anyone actually confirm if he has left or if the club are trying to convince him to stay or anything in between? The radio silence from the club is frustrating.
I heard we're trying to get some money for him walking away from his contract.
I know it's not my money, but I'd have just agreed he can go for free and chalk it up to experience

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
skiptotheLouMacari

« Reply #179 on: Saturday, January 7, 2023, 08:55:46 »

I heard we're trying to get some money for him walking away from his contract.
I know it's not my money, but I'd have just agreed he can go for free and chalk it up to experience
Yeah that sounds best plan. Right Lindsey we want you to pay back xyz ss you walked away. He doesn't get a gig anywhere so says I'm not paying up come back. Fuck that, its too risky.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 53   Go Up
Print
Jump to: