Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Gillingham matchday thread  (Read 14143 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 12:06:58 »

always a bright side!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 12:28:51 »

I saw a stat on Twitter (which I haven't corroborated so it could be horse cack) that says we haven't beaten anyone in the league above us in the league this season so far. Flat track bullies.
It is true but when you look at it 3 of them we've not played and 3 of them have failed to beat us,so not really a yardstick as such to be fair.....yet!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 12:36:49 »

Quite  a few comments about the crossing and whether or not Gillingham defended well.

I think they understood the threat, pace down the flanks that can whip crosses in, but nobody up top with height.  They did send a midfielder out to ensure the crosses were from deep or from cut backs, never from the byline.  That way the crosses have to be higher to get to their target and over the potential blockers, unless you are Beckham.  Then you sit in and have two or three big defenders who know what their job is going to be, and a couple of midfielders briefed on just pressing the edge of the box to avoid any long shots or slipped balls from Kemp.  They did it well in my opinion.  Our lack of options meant we kept going at the same way of playing.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 12:38:11 »

Quite  a few comments about the crossing and whether or not Gillingham defended well.

I think they understood the threat, pace down the flanks that can whip crosses in, but nobody up top with height.  They did send a midfielder out to ensure the crosses were from deep or from cut backs, never from the byline.  That way the crosses have to be higher to get to their target and over the potential blockers, unless you are Beckham.  Then you sit in and have two or three big defenders who know what their job is going to be, and a couple of midfielders briefed on just pressing the edge of the box to avoid any long shots or slipped balls from Kemp.  They did it well in my opinion.  Our lack of options meant we kept going at the same way of playing.

Agreed. Not a complicated plan but a well rehearsed one, carried out impeccably. They were also very good at closing space for shots down on the edge of the box (which we weren't...).
adje

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 12:45:05 »

There wasn't. Outside of one Hutton cross to the back post it was like a museum of bad crossing all night. Hit and hope and not even with any conviction. Just float one in to the area most populated with Gillingham players.

Shite.

I thought we had a few personally,Young twice first half,Austin header from a corner,Kemp rounding the keeper.Hutton forced a great save early second half,Young two headers second half, Kemp from FBTs great pass(good save) FBT and McEachran both straight at the keeper. Chances like which we were scoring regularly a few weeks ago. This, I reckon has been the main cause of all our defeats so far, the missing of chances the likes of which we were gobbling up in the first 2 months.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 16:46:23 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 12:50:14 »

We had a few half chances and the Young one was a very good chance.  Kemps rounding the keeper for example - he was pushed wide, which is good defending.  You bend but you don't break.  Kemp was never in a position to score, even if it looked like a threat.

Some of the other chances were rushed shots, again because they pressed or put bodies in the passing and shooting lanes.

Young had a volley early on, it wasn't ever going in, but it was probably the only time we got in behind a littler or had the right trajectory on a cross.  It's L2, they won't be able to go full European Cup away performance from the early 90's, but they stuck at a game plan and came away with a clean sheet.

Mahoney made the better saves and watched a penalty go wide.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 13:14:00 »

Piss poor from Franchise. Not great from the Vegans either

* IMG_0224.jpeg (226.66 KB, 1088x1088 - viewed 195 times.)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 13:18:27 »

It does, but it doesn't make it incorrect. I guess as we slide down the table we have more chance to put it right.

1 win out of 5 games against sides currently in the top half. That win being against Crawley, who seem to be slipping down to a more natural position

Things get better but they never get good
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 13:22:50 »

I was shocked to see Flynn has only won 6 from 17 games... To be clear, I think he has done well but all signs still pointing to mid-table without investment despite a couple of early season wallopings.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 20:10:52 »

Did I hear a drum in the TE?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 20:15:59 »

Quote from: The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey
Did I hear a drum in the TE?

I bloody hope not

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 20:21:41 »

Swear I heard it once just before the game started.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, 20:51:45 »

Swear I heard it once just before the game started.

Just needs a Stanley knife..
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: