Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 27   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Morrison  (Read 47967 times)
nochee

« Reply #165 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 17:18:46 »

Frampton should not even come into the equation as he will hardly play for us this year.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 17:26:27 »

i was led to believe that the days of selling our players were gone....Mr Fitton told us that himself unless its an exceptional offer...
Eh? When? If anything, he's said the exact opposite, repeatedly. It's a core part of his business model, that we will offset some of the losses by investing in, developing and then selling players at a profit.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 17:37:56 »

You right Pauld but i was trying to make the point that we now have nobody really likely to notch a couple of goals....nobody in Midfield with exception of Ritchie (fingers crossed).
He's a centre half, his main job is to stop the opposition scoring goals, something he's been inconsistent at. That's where we should primarily judge him, goals scored are a bonus. Actually, have any of the stattos (I'm looking at you Dave) got figures on whether he's gained us more points from his goals than he's cost us from errors?

Don't get me wrong, I like Sean Morrison and I'm disappointed we've sold him, but he's not the key loss that Greer turned out to be or Charlie will. He's more of a loss because we're now paper thin on centre backs than in and of himself, if that makes sense. Really important he's replaced well.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 18:07:26 »

Firstly i'm not overly bothered by the fact Morrison is going. He's going to a club in a higher league and he wants to progress so good luck to him. For me he was hit and miss. At times he looked very good but other times he looked totally clueless. I'm happy with 250k and if that was a clause that means we'll get more cash than a crappy tribunal fee then it makes sense.

Now for the factor i'm not to happy about. What are we left with? 3 CBs one of which doesn't seem to be able to stay fit. A lack of experience at the back and that's been the really big problem all along since the first ball was kicked back in August. We have 2 weeks to find a replacement. Do I think we will? No. Why? Because we never seem to sign players quickly enough when we need to. I'm all for Wilson wanting the right players etc etc but this is now a situation where we have to sign at least a CB and a striker before the window is out. I just can't see it happening sadly. Cue comments tomorrow or on Monday from Wilson claiming that our current squad is good enough bla bla bla.

And the final point. Does anyone else think the 250k is going to be used to pay for Ritchie? I sure do. Anyone who thinks we might be spending some of that on a CB or striker probably shouldn't get their hopes up. Now that Morrison is off there really isn't any reason to sell Austin until the summer. We've had 500k from sales of players already this year. No need for anymore surely?
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 18:28:03 »

And the final point. Does anyone else think the 250k is going to be used to pay for Ritchie? I sure do.

No,  the two deals are unrelated. Fitton didnt want to sell Morrison now as his comments show but his hand was forced by the release clause. They have repeatedly found money to buy players who are young and likely to go on to be worth more (Cox, Ferry, Caddis for example) Ritchie falls into that category so will be seen as an investment.

We have probably concentrated too much on signing younger players rather than experience which is why we've become so inconsistent this season. I have no idea if we will get some players in to correct that in the next 2 weeks but Id be surprised if Wilson and Fitton werent trying very hard to do just that.

Regarding Morrison I think Reading have probably got him for a very good price although at his age that isnt a certainty. I cant blame the club though as the only alternative was to lose him for even less last summer.

I really hope Fitton doesnt read this forum though, some of the weeping and wailing that goes on these days is fucking embarrassing.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:02:55 »

I really hope Fitton doesnt read this forum though, some of the weeping and wailing that goes on these days is fucking embarrassing.

Yeah Leefer...go and stand in the corner.
joteddyred

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:23:29 »

Okay at times people can go slightly overboard, but to be fair some of the people on here fork out a lot of money to watch Swindon both home and away.  This season has been an absolute shambles from the start quite frankly and as each week passes it seems to get worse in one way or another.

I think people have a right to be starting to get pissed off.  All we've had this season is repetitive statements after we've lost games with no real action being taken to rectify the issues.   The whole 'building for the future with the younger players' yarn is starting to wear a bit thin as well when we're potentially about to sell two of them on. 
Spencer_White

« Reply #172 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:25:36 »

I rekon this is a great deal for STFC. Was hoping all along that someone would come in for him.

I don't think he's proven himself at League 1 level yet. Yes we will miss his towering presence going forward, but look at the amount of goals weve conceeded this season.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #173 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:43:53 »

Haha everyone moans that he makes a lot of mistakes then moans when he is sold due to a clause which he insisted was put in the contract. We could always have let him go for free eh?

The key is to replace him with someone better. If we can't do that then that's when the disgruntlement should happen in my opinion.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:45:17 »

I'm not sure about this move actually, is Morrison a donkey or a football genius this week? Hmmm
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:47:13 »

The whole 'building for the future with the younger players' yarn is starting to wear a bit thin as well when we're potentially about to sell two of them on. 

Is that not necessary though to keep the books balanced? Unless someone knows otherwise, the club operates on a £2m a year loss. Transfers and the board cash injections are required to stop things like this happening to us (again) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2011/01/plymouth_calling_kagami_please.html

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:51:44 »

Is that not necessary though to keep the books balanced? Unless someone knows otherwise, the club operates on a £2m a year loss. Transfers and the board cash injections are required to stop things like this happening to us (again) - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattslater/2011/01/plymouth_calling_kagami_please.html

Fact is that we were told that the club wouldnt sell unless the offer for players is outstanding....ie Cox....no supporter will ever knock that....we shouldn't be selling our young players for a pittance......Mr Fittons words,not mine.
What we are receiving for Morrison is a joke
Reeeeeves

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:53:24 »

We're only selling because of a clause Morrison insisted on having, no doubt there'd be people moaning if it went to a tribunal and we got next to nothing for him.
Spencer_White

« Reply #178 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:53:35 »

Fact is that we were told that the club wouldnt sell unless the offer for players is outstanding....ie Cox....no supporter will ever knock that....we shouldn't be selling our young players for a pittance......Mr Fittons words,not mine.

What we are receiving for Morrison is about 3 times his value in my eyes. Your reaction is the joke.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: Friday, January 14, 2011, 19:53:40 »

So we could have broken Morrison's contract agreement and rejected Reading's offer? We had no choice Leefer on this occasion sadly we couldn't dictate a fee.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 27   Go Up
Print
Jump to: