Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The 'Summer' of Cricket thread 2013  (Read 138750 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #825 on: Friday, August 30, 2013, 00:36:41 »

Irish convicts Wink That's what I say to the relatives, of which I have both Irish and Antipodean.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #826 on: Friday, August 30, 2013, 12:17:54 »

What an innings by Finch! Bloke smashed it to all parts so fair play...his innings was the difference! Joe Root batted very well considering he took a blow to the mouth early on in his innings, and not a bad start for his 1st innings in international t20 cricket!

Bit daft having the 2 games so far apart, Southampton - Durham with a day's gap in between!

#VivaKenBarlow!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #827 on: Friday, August 30, 2013, 12:24:35 »

What an innings by Finch! Bloke smashed it to all parts so fair play...his innings was the difference! Joe Root batted very well considering he took a blow to the mouth early on in his innings, and not a bad start for his 1st innings in international t20 cricket!

Bit daft having the 2 games so far apart, Southampton - Durham with a day's gap in between!

Not exactly Perth to Sydney is it...you can fly from Southampton to Newcastle in 80 mins...and much cheaper than rail.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #828 on: Friday, August 30, 2013, 12:28:32 »

Not exactly Perth to Sydney is it...you can fly from Southampton to Newcastle in 80 mins...and much cheaper than rail.

From reading the tweets, England are bussing it!
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #829 on: Friday, August 30, 2013, 12:49:26 »

Exactly what I did to get up to Durham for the Ashes. Think it was about £40 each way. Not bad at all.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #830 on: Saturday, August 31, 2013, 05:32:20 »

Irish convicts Wink That's what I say to the relatives, of which I have both Irish and Antipodean.

We are all antipodeans to someone.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #831 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 00:06:18 »

So the t20 series was tied after England beat the Aussies at Durham last week...England beat Ireland during the week, both Morgan & Bopara batted extremely well to see us home after the early 4 wickets lost chasing 270 odd...Friday washout of 1st ODI...Sunday we got battered by the Aussies, Michael Clarke what a knock that was, to go 1-0 down in the 5 match series. All to play for, but I think the Aussies may have too much for us in this format with the squad we've picked. Next match Wednesday at Edgbaston...anyone going to any of the ODIs?

#VivaKenBarlow!
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #832 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 08:05:25 »

I've got tickets for the Rose Bowl game if I want it.  Not sure if I can be arsed though.

Australia should have too much in this format.  The England bowling looks way short.  Beyond Finn and Rankin, with Bopara/Stokes coming on as first change.  Could do with a third front line seamer but the only other seamers in the squad are Overton and Jordon.  Or England could pick Luke Wright but that would stink of England trying to maintain batting depth while hoping somehow they can fiddle about 20 overs out of Bopara/Sokes/Wright/Root.

Can understand wanting to fill the batting but England have gone too far the other way and the team needs to be better balanced which with the squad picked isnt easy to achieve.

Also to an extent underlines the importance of someone like Bresnan who can bowl 10 overs most matches and add depth.

Mitchell Johnson was impressive yesterday.  If Aus prepare quick hard fast bouncy pitches I expect him to play a leading role down under.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #833 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 08:52:39 »

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/sep/08/lords-village-cup-goatacre-kevin-iles

Used to pedal out to Goatacre..to watch the big cup games back in the late 80's. Brian Hillier was usually in attendance. Never went to Lords mind.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #834 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 16:53:01 »

You're right FCB on the bowling front, we're lacking a 3rd front line bowler. I'd have expected Bresnan to be included if he was fit, failing that possibly get Chris Tremlett back in to international cricket ahead of the tour to Australia. It still baffles me that he wasn't picked for The Oval test match. Jade Dernbach (who I don't really rate) bowled well in the t20s but isn't in this squad, and also Chris Woakes who was picked in that last test match...what's happened to him? Seems as though it's only for this ODI series as we'll have Broad, Anderson and Swann back for future ODI squads.

#VivaKenBarlow!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #835 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 16:58:50 »

You're right FCB on the bowling front, we're lacking a 3rd front line bowler. I'd have expected Bresnan to be included if he was fit, failing that possibly get Chris Tremlett back in to international cricket ahead of the tour to Australia. It still baffles me that he wasn't picked for The Oval test match. Jade Dernbach (who I don't really rate) bowled well in the t20s but isn't in this squad, and also Chris Woakes who was picked in that last test match...what's happened to him? Seems as though it's only for this ODI series as we'll have Broad, Anderson and Swann back for future ODI squads.

Oli Rayner is one who may have got the selector's attention this summer....especially as Swanny is starting to creak a bit.
TheMajorSTFC

Ignore
« Reply #836 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 17:02:11 »

Yes Reg, not a bad shout...has bowled well for Middlesex this season! I think Swann will go on until the 2015 Ashes series here (he'll be 36 then) and possibly retire then. No harm in looking for alternatives now. Can't see Kerrigan playing another test for a while.

#VivaKenBarlow!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #837 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 17:11:11 »

Personally I don't think Rayner turns it enough for the test arena. If I were the selectors I'd be trying to make sure that Borthwick at Durham and Rafiq at Yorkshire get the best possible coaching, and Kerrigan a sports psychologist.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #838 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 17:16:26 »

Personally I don't think Rayner turns it enough for the test arena. If I were the selectors I'd be trying to make sure that Borthwick at Durham and Rafiq at Yorkshire get the best possible coaching, and Kerrigan a sports psychologist.

Rayner's main weapon is bounce, as he's a tall bugger.  Borthwick is basically giving up bowling and trying to make it as a batsman, as is Rashid. After the post Warne era rash of young leg spinners about, it seems that counties are now returning to the view that they're just too inaccurate. Rafiq strikes me as gobshite who's not all that.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #839 on: Monday, September 9, 2013, 17:21:26 »

Rayner's main weapon is bounce, as he's a tall bugger.  Borthwick is basically giving up bowling and trying to make it as a batsman, as is Rashid. After the post Warne era rash of young leg spinners about, it seems that counties are now returning to the view that they're just too inaccurate. Rafiq strikes me as gobshite who's not all that.

A lot of very talented cricketers have been total gobshites, let's be honest.

On the domestic front, Somerset are currently fucking up the semi final of the YB40 against Notts. that, along with missing out on finals day and looking likely to be relegated from the CC is a bit of a nightmare. I hoped we'd stop finishing second, but this isn't quite what I had in mind.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60   Go Up
Print
Jump to: