Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Finally...a man who stands up and says what a lot of people really think  (Read 28148 times)
Talk Talk

« on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 00:21:18 »

Hannan is awesome in this.

It just shows Cameron up as the wet ineffective troughing "opposition leader" prick he really is.

mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 08:24:45 »

would have been interesting to see browns reply do you not think?
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 08:30:59 »

Brown would have said his usual (not really give a) shit.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 08:32:53 »

It would have involved stacks of statistics and a reference to how rubbish the Conservatives are, like every answer he gives.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 08:35:23 »

mmmm maybe, just would have liked to see how he would have dealt with it.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 09:34:36 »

Not sticking up for Brown but I'd have a lot more faith in Hannan's analysis if it didn't seem to rest largely on "Brown has failed - look the markets say so". Because "the market" has got so much right in the past few years and if only we'd listened to their rational analysis we wouldn't be in this mess ..... oh.
Talk Talk

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 09:39:53 »

Not sticking up for Brown but I'd have a lot more faith in Hannan's analysis if it didn't seem to rest largely on "Brown has failed - look the markets say so". Because "the market" has got so much right in the past few years and if only we'd listened to their rational analysis we wouldn't be in this mess ..... oh.

I would agree with Hannan myself.

The 'market' doesn't fuck anything up, it's the regulation imposed upon it that distorts and perverts. In UK plc's case that is McBust's Financial Service Authority (FSA).
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 09:40:52 »

Brown’s response would probably be along these lines: ‘Daniel Hannan’s anger is a global problem which requires a global solution.’ I think we’re all agreed his obvious anger problems started in America and now everyone across the world is angry. What I propose is British anger management for British people and in these angry times I will save the world and lead Daniel Hannan through to a new world order of inner calm.'

or some sort of similar bollocks

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Talk Talk

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 09:58:19 »

McBust also got a good slapping from Nigel Farage, the UKIP Leader.

Although I think that UKIP is a lost cause and I have no respect for Farage's methods, he is also a brilliant orator.

Between him and Hannan in one session they showed how toothless and theatrical the Commons has become.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 11:03:12 »

That was a very good populist speech from Daniel Hannan.  It's a shame for him that the only media outlets really talking about it are political weblogs.

http://newsnow.co.uk/h/?search=hannan

I agree with his central argument (that the UK government was profligate with taxpayers' money during the boom years), but his politics are very right wing even for a traditional Tory so I'm not sure I'd be voting Hannan given the chance.

I remember him as a political hack at university.  He was (and is) fiercely Eurosceptic and an arch-Thatcherite.  (To pick up on Paul D's point, he probably still DOES believe the market is always right.)  In his world, we would probably not have spent as much during the last decade...but neither would we have an NHS worth speaking of.  Be careful what you wish for.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 11:06:10 »

I can't believe some people are still defending Labour.  To use a phrase once used by great man "we must be mad, quite literally mad"...

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 11:12:42 »

I can't believe some people are still defending Labour.  To use a phrase once used by great man "we must be mad, quite literally mad"...

totally agree. They've failed and need to fuck off asap
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 11:16:44 »

I'm not defending them at all.  I think their handling of the economy has been poor and would even go so far as to agree with some of what Hannan said in his speech.

I agree with his central argument (that the UK government was profligate with taxpayers' money during the boom years)...
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 11:18:17 »

Don't think anyone is defending Labour - just pointing out that Hannan's speech is largely empty rhetoric based around a premise that has failed even more dramatically than New Labour. Which is also based around the same failed premise - that the "market knows best".
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 11:20:58 »

Which is also based around the same failed premise - that the "market knows best".

I'm intrigued what's your alternative to markets? Communism?

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: