Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football League shake up proposals  (Read 25644 times)
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 11:44:25 »

It works for the rest of Europe.

Maybe, I don't know myself, but does the rest of Europe have the same kind of depth of professional / semi-professional football structure as England?

I think we may be blessed here with having four, arguably five 'divisions' that are the bedrock of professional football. Scores of towns and cities throughout the country are represented nationally through their (mainly) long-standing football clubs, and supported by thousands of members of their communities. Does this happen anywhere else?

Any diluting of this structure through the introduction of Premier League 2nd teams would lead to the demise of professional lower division clubs and the gradual evolution of what would become 'regional' giants (probably in Prem 1 and Prem 2 with 2nd teams filling two lower divisions).

I bet Gartside is creaming his pants in anticipation.

The PL, FA, Team England and Champions League can go fuck themselves.
Loobug

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 11:48:50 »

Unlikely to happen but what would happen if Man Utd A got relegated and Man Utd B were promoted... They probably wouldn't bother with pushing to promote Man Utd A the next year, they'd just bank the parachute payments and put all the best players in the B team and carry on as usual, surely..??
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 11:49:03 »

Maybe, I don't know myself, but does the rest of Europe have the same kind of depth of professional / semi-professional football structure as England?

I think we may be blessed here with having four, arguably five 'divisions' that are the bedrock of professional football. Scores of towns and cities throughout the country are represented nationally through their (mainly) long-standing football clubs, and supported by thousands of members of their communities. Does this happen anywhere else?

Any diluting of this structure through the introduction of Premier League 2nd teams would lead to the demise of professional lower division clubs and the gradual evolution of what would become 'regional' giants (probably in Prem 1 and Prem 2 with 2nd teams filling two lower divisions).

I bet Gartside is creaming his pants in anticipation.

The PL, FA, Team England and Champions League can go fuck themselves.

This...and you are correct, no-one has the same depth of professional football as we do in England.

Crowds of 8k in the Italian Serie C (equivalent of League 1) is pretty much unheard of, and I'm sure that would be the same in Germany and Spain.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
london_red

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 12:11:38 »

This...and you are correct, no-one has the same depth of professional football as we do in England.

Crowds of 8k in the Italian Serie C (equivalent of League 1) is pretty much unheard of, and I'm sure that would be the same in Germany and Spain.

Think it's a good point about the depth of football, and I agree with those who've said this is a touted move to benefit the top clubs, dressed up with some nonsense about the national team to make it more palatable.

Germany is the only comparable country I think in terms of attendances, although they do also allow reserve sides in the league structure (up to a maximum of the third tier though).

Their equivalent of League 1 had average crowds of 6,162 in 2012-13, not far off our own division where the average was 6,309.
DMR

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 12:19:39 »

When I say 'it works,' I'm referring to the success of the national sides and not how many mugs turn up to watch.

If improving the England setup is the goal - which it should be - then why not replicate what the better nations are doing, with less dollar behind them.

iffy

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 12:20:37 »

It's proposals like this that make me want to punch Tim Lovejoy in the face.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 12:28:14 »

It's proposals like this that make me want to punch Tim Lovejoy in the face.

It takes a lot less than this to make me want to punch him... his opening his mouth normally has a similar effect!
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 12:44:55 »

What I don’t understand about B teams in general, and perhaps someone with more knowledge of how it works overseas could fill me in, is how do the squads work?

Would they have to register players separately for the whole season, or could they move players between the B and First team, like you would do with the reserves?

In which case, and this is an extreme example; if say Manchester United B were going for promotion and had a vital end of the season clash with fellow league leaders Bristol Rovers (had to pick a non league example) and the A team had nothing to play for – what could stop them moving Wayne Rooney into the Bs for the weekend?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 12:52:42 »

What I don’t understand about B teams in general, and perhaps someone with more knowledge of how it works overseas could fill me in, is how do the squads work?

Would they have to register players separately for the whole season, or could they move players between the B and First team, like you would do with the reserves?

In which case, and this is an extreme example; if say Manchester United B were going for promotion and had a vital end of the season clash with fellow league leaders Bristol Rovers (had to pick a non league example) and the A team had nothing to play for – what could stop them moving Wayne Rooney into the Bs for the weekend?

As far as I remember (from playing Football/Champ manager in Spain) players registered in your B side could not move freely into the A team (I think they could during a registration window).

Therefore your scenario would be impossible AFAIK.

Also, in Spain, the B side cannot be in the same league as the A side. Therefore if Barcelona B win the 2nd division title, then they couldn't be promoted.

I suspect these rules would be used in England too if this was to happen.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 13:02:30 »

It would make the whole football league a complete farce, really.
kerry red

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 13:08:23 »

When I say 'it works,' I'm referring to the success of the national sides and not how many mugs turn up to watch.

If improving the England setup is the goal - which it should be - then why not replicate what the better nations are doing, with less dollar behind them.

Why should the goal be to benefit Team England? How would we, or any other small club, benefit from an improved national side?

They can go fuck themselves. They've taken all the money, the least they can do is leave us with 'the dream'.
DMR

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 13:10:25 »

Because England winning a major tournament would be quality...

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 13:15:53 »

I fail to see how the national team would benefit.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 13:36:27 »

I think we should have more beaches. Get the youngsters out on them homing there skills at a young age. It works in Brazil!!!

Oh and more poverty, drugs, gun crimes and murders too. It's the way forward you know.
DMR

« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 14:05:35 »

Whhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey good one footballladsbanter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: