Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Sports Direct Arena  (Read 1833 times)
swindonbob

Ignore
« on: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 20:43:35 »

After listening earlier to Newcastle fans being outraged about changing the name of the stadium - I tended to agree with them. There are some places where the name shouldn't be changed, and I personally think St James Park is one of them. But then I started thinking "How bothered would I be if the changed the name of the County Ground to some company like "The Zurich Financial Services Stadium" - if they gave us a few million quid for it.  I couldn't work it out, as everyone would still call it the County Ground, so should we take the money and get on with it?
Its obviously different for new stadiums, but existing ones with a name that's been around for ever seem a lot more sentimental.

aptain Cabinet, trapped in a cabinet, can he get out? will he get out? course he can.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 20:45:25 »

The gallowgate end is being renamed the donnay stand

The everlast terrace is also the new name for the john Hall stand
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 20:49:07 »

If you go to SJP there's Sports Direct advertising all over the place anyway.
thedarkprince

Hubba-hubba

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 20:52:44 »

I think clubs can get away with renaming a ground when it's brand new e.g. The Reebok or The Emirates but renaming an existing one won't really work as all fans, home and away, will still refer to it as the old name. Perhaps that's why they've not had any takers previously.

To be honest, I don't think I'd worry that much about it if the CG got renamed as it's ingrained in our brains so we're not likely to call it anything else.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 20:53:35 »

[url width=600 height=415]http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x480/tanswell2010/1320958222370.jpg[/url]
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #5 on: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 20:54:30 »

Fuck the Geordies and fuck their stadium whatever the fuck its called. Bunch of fucking retarded arsewipes. Best fans in the world my hairy bollocks. Not that long ago getting gates under 10k - no better than fucking Reading fans.  
Also couldn't give a shit if they renamed the County Ground as long as it had no Scummer connotations.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 20:55:28 »

It's been quite amusing up here because until today, they had nothing to complain about.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 20:59:04 »

Spillers the pet food makers wanted to sponsor Oxford and  rename the Kassam stadium....but changed there mind when realising the Winalot stadium just didn't seem right.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 20:59:58 »

Not a big fan of renaming old stadiums for sponsorship reasons.

No problems with stands though, Intel, Arkells, etc. I suppose it helped they had local connections.
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, November 10, 2011, 22:18:18 »

Not a big fan of renaming old stadiums for sponsorship reasons.

No problems with stands though, Intel, Arkells, etc. I suppose it helped they had local connections.

Agree although the Intel Stand is now sponsored by the Don Rodgers Shop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: