Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 93   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 199215 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #840 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 16:41:03 »

I hate to go against the overriding narrative, but they're just better than us at bowling, batting and catching, aren't they?
Yes.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #841 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 16:41:31 »

I hate to go against the overriding narrative, but they're just better than us at bowling, batting and catching, aren't they?

Came into the series thinking we had the better/more in form top 7 and better bowlers for the conditions, but seems Australia trump us in both departments. They’ve improved A LOT since their 2019 tour, this is them at their peak I reckon. No real obvious flaws
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #842 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 16:48:19 »

Will be lucky if there's 3 sessions play tomorrow!

So, give no fucks
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #843 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 16:51:38 »

Came into the series thinking we had the better/more in form top 7 and better bowlers for the conditions, but seems Australia trump us in both departments. They’ve improved A LOT since their 2019 tour, this is them at their peak I reckon. No real obvious flaws

Not sure why you would think that.  Best Test team currently with the top three batsmen in the world.

If we were playing the way we were under Root, we'd be done and dusted already without a sniff of a 300 score.  Our players are good one dayers, hence why the new approach delivers better results - they just play their natural game.

Australia are better Test players in every department though.  The gap is big, so to be as close as we were in the First test is pretty remarkable to any non-time traveler of 2021.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #844 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 16:51:53 »

Our bowlers can’t make the opposition bowlers hop around like theirs, because they bowl 10mph slower.

Tongue, as the fastest of the group, looked threatening at times.

Things may be different at Headingly, but at Lords you need pace.

Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #845 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 16:59:11 »

Not sure why you would think that.  Best Test team currently with the top three batsmen in the world.

If we were playing the way we were under Root, we'd be done and dusted already without a sniff of a 300 score.  Our players are good one dayers, hence why the new approach delivers better results - they just play their natural game.

Australia are better Test players in every department though.  The gap is big, so to be as close as we were in the First test is pretty remarkable to any non-time traveler of 2021.

Warner - On the decline, poor record in England.
Khawaja - Averaged 17 in England prior.
Carey, Green and Head all either unproven, or have struggled in England.

Khawaja has since gone on to have a fantastic tour, but their top 7, outside of Smith and Labuschagne, looked to be vulnerable in English conditions. Hasn’t happened to be the case, but prior to the series, I felt our top 7 was stronger for English conditions, on paper
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #846 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 17:07:25 »

Doesn't help that Anderson simply hasn't shown up this series.

I'm not geeky enough to know enough about conditions etc, are they out of favour for him or is it simply bad bowling for his standards?

Pace hasn't been an issue for us here in the past but the first wicket was a road and this one at lords both teams have resulted to bouncers to get wickets. The extra pace seems to have massively favoured OZ?

Ides of March

Ignore
« Reply #847 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 17:10:03 »

Doesn't help that Anderson simply hasn't shown up this series.

I'm not geeky enough to know enough about conditions etc, are they out of favour for him or is it simply bad bowling for his standards?

Pace hasn't been an issue for us here in the past but the first wicket was a road and this one at lords both teams have resulted to bouncers to get wickets. The extra pace seems to have massively favoured OZ?

He described the pitch at Edgbaston as “kryptonite” for him, was so flat and with no swing on offer, Anderson can become fairly ineffective on those tracks. In saying that, he bowled on similar pitches in Pakistan and did well.

This test, he’s bowled in favourable conditions and has just looked out of rhythm. Had an injury pre series which has definitely not helped, but he’s had a poor start to the series for sure
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #848 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 17:17:58 »

Wood and Archer huge misses then.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #849 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 17:24:04 »

Anderson needs movement off the pitch and through the air. But without it all he has is accuracy. He doesn’t have the pace to trouble test batsmen.

The other thing, is I think his eyes have gone. He was one of Englands best fielders for years and never used to drop anything. However, he’s dropped 2 in this test whilst fielding square of the wicket. The ball comes to you fast there and it’s harder to pick the balls flight up. As a village cricketer for years, I noticed that happen myself.

I also remember Matthew Hoggard dropping in pace by 1 or 2 mph and finding him going from unplayable to cannon fodder. Headingly might suit Anderson though.

But, time and tide wait for no man. I think this will be Anderson’s last test series. I hope he goes out with a flourish.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #850 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 17:25:29 »

Wood and Archer huge misses then.

Archer is the fastest, then Wood, followed by Tongue then Potts.

Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #851 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 17:55:03 »

That is... a stroke of luck. Not sure I agree with that call.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #852 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 18:55:27 »

The ball was on the ground. No different to taking a catch and immediately smothering it on the ground

Not that I think it will matter much in the reckoning

Things get better but they never get good
Qunk

Ignore
« Reply #853 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 19:10:55 »

That is... a stroke of luck. Not sure I agree with that call.

Really? I thought it was the most not out not out I’ve ever seen! Easy decision. If the shoe was on the other foot I’d absolutely be saying that was not a catch
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #854 on: Sunday, July 2, 2023, 07:08:15 »

Just watched the highlights again.....Such a shame that England didn't play old fashioned Test cricket at the beginning of their second innings - See off the new ball. Once the lacquer wore off, it appeared to get much easier to bat.

Uphill battle saving this Test now, but stranger things have happened.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 ... 93   Go Up
Print
Jump to: