Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Pub On Each Corner  (Read 2792 times)
leefer

Ignore
« on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 14:03:17 »

Of the ground Brentford away next season.
Incidently i found it strange that a team that won the lge as they did didnt have one player in the PFA lge 2 awards and the manager didnt win manager of the month at all...is always a good away match,especially a night match.
I can remember the 79 season we went there and won with an Alan Mayes goal...took about 5000 fans,alas we lost our last two matches at S,Wednesday and Blackpool so just missed out on promotion.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 14:19:45 »

I can remember the 79 season we went there and won with an Alan Mayes goal...took about 5000 fans,alas we lost our last two matches at S,Wednesday and Blackpool so just missed out on promotion.

Did you know though Leefer, that if that season had been played under the soon to be introduced 3 points for a win, we'd have gone up on goal difference.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 14:42:47 »

Didnt Reg...can remember getting stuffed at Blackpool....the cup runs caught up with us in the end.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 15:41:53 »

can remember getting stuffed at Blackpool....the cup runs caught up with us in the end.

Sorry mate,have to correct you the cup games were the following season 79/80.
We should have gone up in 79,especially after beating Watford,Gillingham and Brentford,
but the losses at Sheff Wed and Blackpool put paid to that.

Swansea were the best team in the league,Toshack was way ahead of the game tactically,
remember how they closed down our midfield at the CG.Quality players in Curtis,Robbie James,
Jeremy Charles allied to the Liverpool old boys,Tommy Smith,Callaghan and Waddle.No wonder
they went straight up the following season and even led Liverpool with 1 month to go in 82,
before falling away.Shrewsbury were the surprise team that season,even though Watford only just
made it to promotion.Match of the Day when we beat Watford 2 - 0 at the CG was good and
a classic volleyed goal from Andy Rowland.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 15:48:29 »

Your right....though we did beat Swans away on boxing day...that was a great awayday...think we were the only team to beat them at the Vetch that season....Gilchrist scoring the winner i think.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #5 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 16:06:35 »

Went to Blackpool away on the special - that was fun. Remember chasing Blackpool fans into the sea. WE lost 5-2 or somethnig and got back to Swindon at something like 3 in the morning.
Swansea at home was where Jimmy Allen punched a corner or cross straight to the foot of the bloke who volleyed in the only goal. They were a class side in that league. We played some real good stuff that year under Bobby Smith.   
strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 16:07:00 »

Fucking love brentford away. I remember paying £2 to get on the terrace a few years back. Class trip and the away end now has a roof on.

officially blacker than the night.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 17:06:22 »

Looking forward to Brentford, never been before and everyone speaks of it highly.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 17:30:42 »

Another london club to go to is Charlton, but apparently their tickets are £30 each!!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 18:49:11 »

Went there once to watch Swindon, there was a massive brawl on the pitch with everyone bar our keeper joining in - I love those brawls, don't see them so much nowadays.

They weren't expecting as many Swindon fans as they got that day and the seating was a nightmare, they must of re-arranged it on the spot by getting the Brentford fans to squeeze up to one end so they could put us in the other. We sat where we were told to then about 10 minutes later the stewards threatened to throw us out as we were sitting in the wrong place and "trying to cause trouble", apparently.

At least I think that was the Brentford game.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 20:53:37 »

Brentford is a great ground! Proper old school lower league job. Have they started putting away fans in the other end now? It never looked particularly big to me...
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 20:55:16 »

Just checked - Apparantly it holds 1600, 1000 on the bottom and 600 in the seats up top. Depending on when we play them and how well we're doing, we could take most of that up!
Spencer_White

« Reply #12 on: Monday, May 4, 2009, 20:57:02 »

The gradient on the terrace is very shallow. But its actually a suprisingly large terrace. Good acoustics.

Matt Heywood 1-0 anyone?
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 21:08:57 »

My mates the sports therapist there so im hoping for a VIP invite.

Free Bovril and programme.

Clems Army!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, May 5, 2009, 21:17:32 »

Think i've been in both ends and the near stand there, used to depend on how we were doing as we've always taken a lot there even if not doing too well, and they would move the home fans to accomodate us, doubt if that would happen now though, so might be a rush for tickets for that one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: