Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Would you want technology to help out refs...  (Read 2342 times)
flammableBen

« on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 02:43:54 »

...or something.

Currently the official page poll, can't be arsed to do a poll myself because it splits people into catorgaries too much. Interesting enough topic which I can't remember the being a thread on for a while though.

I'd say not too much. Referee error is part of the game and lot's of situations aren't black or white - trying to make them so would be detromental to the game.

errr. yeah. I thought I'd have more to be say. Lamest post ever.
Hexagon

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 02:55:11 »

Ref error is part of the game but at the same time it is unacceptable. The prem plastic fan lot think they get bad ref's and that, but they should try one of our refs. Thy would go spare. I think we need something but not so it's so start stop like American football. Maybe just offside and goal lines.
millom red

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 03:00:06 »

Goal line technology should be a priority for the did it/didnt it cross the line scenario ben.
 Dont be too hard on yourself. Not a lame post at all. Wink
Other than that, leave the refs to do the job we all hate them for doing when things dont go our way!
The te experience would not be the same without the odd...the referees a wanker chant from the town end at full volume now would it?

f it dont need fixing....dont fuckin break it

Await The Day
STFC Village

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 03:23:01 »

100% agree with millom
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 05:46:25 »

The games been fucked about with too much already.

Leave it alone!

One of the reasons it's the biggest sport in the world is because of the human error factor: imagine how quiet pubs would be if you didn't have people arguing about dodgy decisions?

If they do start bringing in technology, it'll end up all sanitised and debate free and that would ruin what is a fantastic game.

It's All Good..............
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 06:14:50 »

The best part about football is that its simple - arguably apart from the offside rule. Leave it that way.

Noone has spoken about the cost for each club to install sufficient cameras and electronics to enable it to happen. Plus the elctrician who has to be on hand to make sure it works, plus the official who reviews the video etc etc etc.

NMH

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 08:51:52 »

One of the reasons it's the biggest sport in the world is because of the human error factor: imagine how quiet pubs would be if you didn't have people arguing about dodgy decisions?

the problem is, there is to much money riding on these decisions now, so they have to be seen to be looking at options. however i agree with you mate

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
flammableBen

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 12:53:55 »

I feel dirty, that's the last time I start a proper football thread. Yuk.
land_of_bo

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 13, 2007, 17:19:42 »

Quote from: "flammableBen"
I feel dirty, that's the last time I start a proper football thread. Yuk.

I thought this was going to be a thread about some mechanical wanking machine or something. Ben, you have shamed yourself.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 15, 2007, 01:27:49 »

Violent Conduct - Yes but for other things such as goals allowed disallowed, onside offside etc. should definitely leave it be.  Each team has their fair share of good and bad luck decision wise, just another talking point which makes it all the more interesting!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 15, 2007, 13:19:59 »

I think we should have something similar to a second umpire in cricket - a midget stood behind the goal line waiting to see if the ball crosses it. If technology later proves his decision wrong then the team who got away with not conceding have to play him in goal for the next 5 minutes to even things up.
Northern Red

« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 15, 2007, 13:23:48 »

The only technology I'd like to see is Video Panels.

If the ref sees something dodgy, an off-the-ball jobby or something, he can 'cite' (sp?) them as in Rugby League. The panel then examines it afters the game and takes appropriate action. No appeals (too time consuming).
Allow the ref to 'cite' someone for diving and feigning injury, and it might start eliminating the cheating element.
mattboyslim

« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 15, 2007, 13:32:12 »

I think some goal line tech is good, but offsides etc are too subjective, so-called experts spend hours disagreeing, and that's the beauty of football.  I'd like to see the video panel being able to do things that the ref has acted on.  As it stands IIRC if the ref takes action in the game then nothing more can be done, and I think that its just a bit wrong, if a camera angle shows something better than teh ref sees then there should be retrospective action.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 15, 2007, 13:34:15 »

Something I like about football is debate. Since the beginning of the game teams have been robbed of points because of decisions that went against them unfairly... Whether it's an offiside call or a ball that went over the line etc

After the game fans go home or to the pub with a real sense of misjustice, it creates debate and rivalries and a desire to beat them in the return fixture.

You eliminate this human error element and it kills a part of the game. It could even effect players we love to hate because they won't get away with anything and all this sounds boring to me.

But alas, we're in the 21st Century now and nobody will ever be happy, where we used to get on with it the armchair fans demand immediate justice... We have to have a worthy winner and it sounds like we've been Americanized to me.

I say let it continue the way it is.

YES: We'll get a fair bit of misjustice  but the other hand we'll get some luck too. I have no doubts that technology will make the game fairer but where's the fun in that?
red macca

« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 15, 2007, 13:35:34 »

Quote from: "simon pieman"
I think we should have something similar to a second umpire in cricket - a midget stood behind the goal line waiting to see if the ball crosses it. If technology later proves his decision wrong then the team who got away with not conceding have to play him in goal for the next 5 minutes to even things up.
So in other words we should just give the ball boys a little more responsibility
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: