Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another day, another complaint...  (Read 3159 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Monday, February 6, 2006, 16:52:25 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"
Ah, yes.  A public toilet by the Mailcoach. Good to see someone in the planning committee has a sense of humour!

A modern day pre cursor to the private brothel, just with a more "targetted" clientelle!
Mace

« Reply #31 on: Monday, February 6, 2006, 17:59:07 »

Not being a local to Swindon, I can't comment really on the councils policies past or previous.

However....

I'm currently writing my dissertation on the subject of football stadiums as an investment decision and have spent the last couple of hours particularly envious of Northampton.

The examples of Swansea and Hull have already been pointed out but Northampton was a club who had a stadium built for them. The ground was funded almost entirely by the council, with the only notable other input being a football trust grant put aside by John Major and co in the 1990's (a grant I would assume we would also have access too, since its simply a large pool of money designed to ensured clubs never have the poor facilities that were deemed to contribute to Hillsbrough. Like Hull and Swansea, the council retained ownership of the ground but the major difference was that the stadium only really serves as a football stadium and is not shared with another sport or various commercial facilities. The idea being that a council owned ground is money spent of benefit to the community it is elected to serve.

The point I guess I am trying to make, is that Northampton Council felt the value of the club to the community was such that it warranted a stadium being built. Shame Swindon council can not draw a similar conclusion and adopt similar policies based on a similar relationship with the club.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: