Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Serious Question (no retards to post)  (Read 1835 times)
DMR

« on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 09:33:27 »

9/11 or the events in Asia, what will, in the long run, change the world more dramatically?

For me, I'd have to say 9/11, it made the threat of terrorism and war very real to me, and that can't be cleaned up and sorted in a matter of years, whereas the state of Asia after the tsunami can be.

Discuss.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 09:39:04 »

The tsunami in Asia could potentially have a longer term effect on the rest of the world, as it may be a precursor to more serious climate changes as a result of global warming. However, it might have just been a terrible accident that will only happen once in a million years whereas the threat of terrorism is very real and very now.

Difficult to choose really...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 09:41:25 »

Mmmmm.....
Well the Tsunami will have an impact on the way we all (public and government) donate money for relief/aid in other countries.
Also a lot of this disaster could have been avoided if there was technology in place to detect such an event. I think this will really make charities think about providing such technology rather than just dish out aid.

11/9 (we're British so I'm using this format) is closer to home for all of us. Terrorism is now such a threat to us all. It's a real shame that a tragedy has brought most of the world together but the threat of terrorism threatens to pull it all apart.

I think both will have equal impact in the next decade but I think terrorism threatens to change the world more dramatically (much like the two world wars).
kizz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 11:55:16 »

Tsunami edges it for me. The loss of life has been tremendous, the impact of the affected countries economys will be felt for at least a decade, and the overal devestation of the land will cause problems for years. Although it can be cleaned up, it will take years for the vegitation to re-grow, partialy due to all the extra salt now deposited in the soil.

11/9 (agree on the date format SP!) although a monumental event in world history has not had such a direct effect on so many people in my opinion.

iven a level playing field (i.e. enough water so a shark could manouevre, but not so deep that a bear would flounder) who would win in a fight between a bear and a shark?
Piemonte

« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 12:10:55 »

11/9 for me. It effectivly started 2 or 3 wars depending on how you look at it

Cant help but think that something similar will happen before too long, theres too many people out there that really really hate America and the western world in general and have the means to fund and implement an attack.

Thats not to say that the Tsunami disaster is unimportant, but its a natural disaster that could have happened at any point in history.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 12:27:42 »

11/9 is the bigger of the two disasters for me, just because is was man made and was pure evil.  Recent events as tragic as they were, was mother nature's doing.   As sad as the scenes were there wasn't much we could have done about it, no one was to blame.  Whereas Sept 11th was all down to some religious fundamentalists - the bastards.
Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 13:16:16 »

Hopefully the Tsunami. Maybe people will start to wake up and realise what they are doing to this planet. The threat of Global Warming is now and people dont seem to realise how real it is, at the current rate earth will be lucky to still be around in 100 years. It's also a terrible shame that a country as big as America does fuck all to help.
DMR

« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 13:18:13 »

Quote from: "Reeves4manager"
Hopefully the Tsunami. Maybe people will start to wake up and realise what they are doing to this planet. The threat of Global Warming is now and people dont seem to realise how real it is, at the current rate earth will be lucky to still be around in 100 years. It's also a terrible shame that a country as big as America does fuck all to help.

Its nothing to do with global warming Martin
Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 13:20:28 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"

Beileve what you like, this is a sign from God. A change is coming over the horizon. He will set us free
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 13:39:25 »

Global Warming is just a theory! There is no conclusive evidence that we are causing the temperature to increase. We'll probably all drown ourselves with the melted icecaps before going into another ice age.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 14:16:24 »

9/11 for me. Disasters such as tsunamis happen and always have happened. They may be more frequent now or in the future but there is essentially little we can do to prevent them. However, 9/11 showed how destructive the human race can be. Not only did 9/11 kill so many people but also started a chain of events which has led to deaths of thousands in Asian countries. If the Western world and Islamic culture ever saw eye-to-eye they sure as hell do not now.
Piemonte

« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 10, 2005, 14:30:36 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"

Beileve what you like, this is a sign from God. A change is coming over the horizon. He will set us free

Its got a lot more to do with the movement of tectonic plates (cheers GCSE Geography) underwater than any kind of god, Herman
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: