Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stratton Bank  (Read 3735 times)
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 09:31:25 »

You can Bank on us says Trust

THE Swindon Town supporters Trust could launch an ambitious bid to take over the running of the Stratton Bank.

The initiative was raised by a member at a Trust meeting last night. It would see the fans group take charge of the uncovered and scarcely used stand in an attempt to entice new supporters with promotional activity.

The notion was inspired by a similar ‘Target 10,000’ scheme used at Charlton Athletic during their leaner times outside football’s top flight to bring attendances up to the five-figure mark.

TrustSTFC spokesman Paul Davis said: “The position of the club is serious and the purpose of the meeting is to pull together some ideas.

“The one clear thing to come out of the night is the possibility of the Target 10,000 campaign and the Stratton Bank situation.

“That is a very definite steer for us to look into further.”

The more traditional subjects of fans representation on the board and ticket prices were raised during the meeting at the GW Bar.

Among those brainstorming was Rob Tuck ­ the man who came up with the Loud & Proud campaign backed by the Advertiser.

Fans responded brilliantly against Port Vale on Saturday and Tuck is looking to maintain the party atmosphere at future County Ground fixtures.

He said: “It was great looking at the pictures in the Adver on Monday, to see that sea of red.

“If there was no mention of the result, somebody reading might have thought we’d just made the play-offs.

“We’re looking to put something together again for the game against Scunthorpe and continue for the next few home games after that, until the campaign builds its own momentum and fans are doing it every week.”

We only said a couple of weeks ago that something should be done with the stand.
unclemark

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 09:35:03 »

I would definetely sit on the bank if it was open.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 09:40:23 »

I used to love the stratton bank, but not sure I'd want to sit down if I went there, especially during the winter, it's cold enough standing up.
mattboyslim

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 09:43:54 »

In principle very good idea, should do it for the city match!!! But won't this just mean that half the people in teh town end go on the bank an half stay put, however cheap they make it people will bleat on about the view etc, the non attenders claiming it's the price want cheap main stand seats, because when you offer them the town end they complain about the view and facilities.  I really hope it works but some people expect a leather padded seat on the half wasy line for a tenner
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 09:45:30 »

It's a non starter for matches like the City game because the club will lose money from away fans who'd have sat in (and filled) that end.
fatbury

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 09:48:32 »

Lovely when its not raining .. trouble is you never know so you have to leave it late to decide !
Elsterap

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 10:20:12 »

Quote from: "janaage"
It's a non starter for matches like the City game because the club will lose money from away fans who'd have sat in (and filled) that end.

It's obvious in which games the Stratton Bank willl have fans in it.  Solution: We just let home supporters use that end on games where it wouldn't be filled :roll:
mattboyslim

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 10:25:01 »

Or maybe split it like it used to be for games when travellign clubs bring a few more fans.  Mind you city aside I can't see anyone but Swansea bringing many, we've already had forest and Yeovil.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 10:33:36 »

open it up £13 adults kids £4 would be good value.nothing to lose is there
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 10:34:26 »

Quote from: "fatbury"
Lovely when its not raining .. trouble is you never know so you have to leave it late to decide !

This was always the beauty of the Bank....early season when the sun was out you might think....yeah and go and stand on the Bank.

Maybe similarly in spring you might fancy a few rays after the winter...the hardcore Bankite who would stand there on a Tuesday night when it lashed down armed with no more than a cycling cape....always fascinated me as all they had to do was walk round to Shrivenham Road for a roof, but loads never bothered.

I reckon we should have a TEF hospitality area....which would consist of a Glasto type shanty built to incorporate Mongolian yurts.....these could be strung along the back by the scoreboard ....to make it look a bit like Lord's.
le god cuervo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 10:34:29 »

they should do something like adults £10 and kid-a-quid on the bank. better than leaving it empty.

i bet the club will moan about the cost of getting stewards on there though.
mattboyslim

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 10:38:05 »

As I said won't this just take the non-season ticket townender and put them on the bank, bringing in less atmosphere and splitting the singers up?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 10:52:34 »

I would love a season back on the bank!!  

Like Reg says Shrivvie Road was just round the corner yet people on the Bank were used to standing there, getting soaked in the rain, getting burnt in the sun.  It's these people that need to be attracted back.  I think I'd change my Arkells season ticket to get back on there for a season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 11:02:05 »

I reckon the last time I stood on the Bank was for the game v Liverpool in the Prem.

The following season when the Intel was opened, I got a season ticket for the half way line which was my usual slot in the old Shrivenham Road......
mattboyslim

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 11:04:21 »

I only ever did one game on the bank v Birmingham in 92/3 as it was sold out elsewhwere, me and my dad had won tickets in the adver, but they got lost in the post and turned up about 2 weeks after the game, it was 0-0
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: