Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: **Official** Sheff. Wed. vs. Swindon Town Matchday Thread  (Read 13288 times)
walrus

Ignore
« on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 13:49:19 »

Any other early birds here?  Looking forward to this one as the result today is vital, although a defeat certainly wouldn't be the end of the world.  Last season we managed a draw and were far from outclassed, and this season we've embarrassed the Wendy's twice so the form book suggests we're in with a chance - which is a band thing if you're a Swindon fan!

Any clues on the line-up today?  I've heard O'Hanlon is in with a shout of being back today, but Roberts, Hewlett, Robinson, Jenkins and Miglioranzi are still all out injured and Ifil starts his two match suspension for the dismissal at Bradford.  Six first teamers missing for a trip to Hillsborough is far from ideal, but the fact we can still put out a remotely decent side is testamount to squad depth.  The subs bench may look a little thin though.

I predict:

GK: 1. R.Evans
DR: 23. L.Garrard
DL: 11. D.Duke
DC: 19 M.Heywood
DC: 6 S.O'Hanlon
MR: 7. S.Igoe
ML: 5. J.Slabber
MC: 17. B.Howard
MC: 3. G.Smith
FC: 9. S.Parkin
FC: 8. R.Fallon

I hope I am wrong though as I would like to see us continue with the 4-5-1 if at all possible, and maybe give Pook a first team start, just to have a body in the midfield area.  Would also prefer to see Howard in a wide role rather than Igoe.  If the players mentioned are all out then Slabber will probably have to start on one of the wings, which should be interesting as this, in my opinion, has been a problem area with just Howard as a natural wideman with Igoe yearning to be moved into a more central role.  Despite this, I still reckon King will prefer Howard in the middle simply due to what he said in the media.

If we're to get a win today, I certainly think we need O'Hanlon back and possibly another first team such as Jenkins or Hewlett.  If I were manager, I would also drop Heywood for this game and replace him with Reeves, but then that's probably due to my prejudice against Heywood....   :roll:

If Fallon does not start today given the number of injuries I think it will be his cue to start looking for a new club.  It would show King has absolutely no faith in him, and following last weeks embarrassment against Bradford when Fallon threw a wobbler the signs are there.
Sussex

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 14:04:58 »

I'm here!

Maybe you should go and clean the car again during the game? It certainly worked against Bradford! last week!  Smiley
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 14:06:44 »

Granted it is filthy, but I've got a 3000 word media essay to write by Monday.  I may do in the second half if I make some progress with this essay and it doesn't get too dark, but I'll probably save that pleasure for tomorrow.

Plus I was washing the car against Bradford  Wink  

During the Brentford game I was shopping at Bluewater in Kent  Tongue

Ironically I did go to the Colchester game...

(You can tell I'm a diehard fan....)   :roll:
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 14:36:20 »

Think Heywood and Reeves are starting, hope their strikers arent too quick. Sad
Rich Pullen

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 14:42:12 »

I must admit I fear Kenwyne Jones.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 14:50:57 »

Swindon's Lineup:

R. Evans
S.O'Hanlon
L.Garrard
A.Reeves
M.Heywood
D.Duke
L.Holmes
S.Igoe
B.Howard
S.Parkin
G.Smith

I did forget about Holmes in my prediction amazingly, considering how well he has played recently.  Unsure how they'll line-up, but I've got a suspicion O'Hanlon will be in midfield rather than at the back.  A defence of Reeves and Heywood to face Jones and MacLean is a bit frightening, but we'll see.  Think we will inevitably concede so we will need to score.

We have a bench of:
S.Book
A.Nicholas
J.Slabber
S.Robinson
R.Fallon

Think Nicholas should have started if O'Hanlon is in midfield just to give us pace at the back.

Kenwyne Jones starts, having scored 6 in 5, as does Richard Wood, who was an injury doubt, while Guylian Ndumbu-Nsungu who is dangerous with his pace and power is on the bench.

Large crowd and difficult opposition may favour us today, just hope the winds are quiet!

EDIT:  Hadwin's confirmed they're playing a 4-5-1.

Garrard, Heywood, Reeves, Duke as back four.

Igoe wide right, Holmes wide left, Howard Smith and captain O'Hanlon in the centre behind striker Sam Parkin.

Immediately Swindon on the attack.
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 15:02:04 »

O'hanlon is playing Cheesy
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 15:04:21 »

Not many people about today are there?  With a 4-5-1 today and a fairly stronger team and surprisingly good bench we've got a shout.  When Miglioranzi, Hewlett, Ifil and Jenkins comes back we will have a very strong squad with very good depth - about 19 or 20 players capable of featuring in the first team.

Good start for Swindon.

Heywood makes a great challenge on MacLean following a long ball and potential easy chance for a good striker.  Fair play to Heywood.
philbost

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 15:09:45 »

scunthorpe 1 chelsea 0
STFC_Chris
Charlie Croker

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 15:11:10 »

Quote from: "philbost"
scunthorpe 1 chelsea 0

Can't last long surely Cool
philbost

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 15:11:50 »

Quote from: "STFC_Chris"
Quote from: "philbost"
scunthorpe 1 chelsea 0

Can't last long surely Cool

probably not but it made me laugh
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 15:12:27 »

Sounds like we're still doing pretty well. This is a very difficult game.
philbost

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 15:14:12 »

anyone know what the weather is like up there as that will probably play a large part in the outcome of the match!!

Havent we only won 1 in 14 tries?
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 15:15:48 »

We last won in 1976.

The weather is okay - not particularly windy or wet, just a bit of a poor pitch.

Chelsea Scunthorpe match should be interesting.  I said it could last when Senegal went 1-0 up against France...
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, January 8, 2005, 15:18:29 »

I'm listening to the chelsea scunthorpe commentary as well as the Swindon game, Chelsea sound a bit nervous.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: