Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rio...  (Read 1871 times)
Spud

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 05:19:36 »

Quote from: "Spencer_White"
Quote from: "Spuddy_STFC"
They had a lovley tour of Rio on Ross Kemp Gangs.

Their prisons were disturbing to say the least.  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Just plain wrong.

Thats how they should be here, 50 to a 4 man cell.

Did you see the crazy exorcism thing they did on that bloke?. :shock:
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 07:20:05 »

i have never been to brazil but have heard many horror stories about brazilia, sao Paolo and espescially rio, my advice would be to be  very very very careful, however by avoiding certain parts of the city you should be fine, which is the same of most latin america cities.

as for football, you are in  for a veritable feast, Rio has 4 major teams, vasco de gama. fluminese, botafago and flamengo.
domestically of the four Fluminese are do the best currently lying 4th in serie a, but its an up and down leauge, current copa libetadores champions sao Paolo are in mid table obscurity, and the other 3 rio teams ar having a bit of a shit season  fighting off relegation.

Flamengo are the best supported club in Brazil, and they are notorious for being followed by the working class, people actually take the piss if they are losing by chanting there is silence in the favelas. Note you dont want to hang out in the favelas.
Fluminese are seen as the rich club and are followed by the upper classes, whereas vasco de gama are the portugese based side and have a very large black following, they were the first team to play black players.

only vasco has a proper home stadium, the others have crappy little grounds and if its a match of any importance its always played at the maracana.
el duque

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 08:50:44 »

Quote from: "mexico red"
i have never been to brazil but have heard many horror stories about brazilia, sao Paolo and espescially rio, my advice would be to be  very very very careful, however by avoiding certain parts of the city you should be fine, which is the same of most latin america cities.

as for football, you are in  for a veritable feast, Rio has 4 major teams, vasco de gama. fluminese, botafago and flamengo.
domestically of the four Fluminese are do the best currently lying 4th in serie a, but its an up and down leauge, current copa libetadores champions sao Paolo are in mid table obscurity, and the other 3 rio teams ar having a bit of a shit season  fighting off relegation.

Flamengo are the best supported club in Brazil, and they are notorious for being followed by the working class, people actually take the piss if they are losing by chanting there is silence in the favelas. Note you dont want to hang out in the favelas.
Fluminese are seen as the rich club and are followed by the upper classes, whereas vasco de gama are the portugese based side and have a very large black following, they were the first team to play black players.

only vasco has a proper home stadium, the others have crappy little grounds and if its a match of any importance its always played at the maracana.
Excellent.

Well aware of the dangers of Brazil in general, as my colleague got mugged at gunpoint on a previous trip. He's a cocky bastard though so possibly not a fair reflection on the country.

Hopefully there will be a big game during a visit, which I can ask some of the locals I will be working with to take me to.
mattboyslim

« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 11:59:23 »

my mate took in a game at the maracana last year, the place is a sad reflection of it's former self, there was about 30,000 there and he said it really lacked atmosphere, dead cheap though.  Has anyone been to La Bombonera in Argentina, that's a place I'd love to watch foorball at?
Piemonte

« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 12:23:43 »

City of God is a great film. (cheers for the recommendation Walt)

FACT!
Spencer_White

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 4, 2005, 16:21:52 »

Theres a great book regarding Brazillian football called 'Futebol'.

Look, I read it, and Ive read about 2 books in the last 5 years.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: