Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We Won't Go Down  (Read 2747 times)
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:07:45 »

Everybody needs to wake up i'm afraid.

We're no where near the team we were 2 years ago when we reached the playoffs.

We are at best a mid table side now.

Our forward line is shit and the defence isn't much better.

We will go down unless there is big changes in playing personal.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:28:07 »

I agree with Ralphy, isn't it saying something to you that the effort is there yet we are still getting beat?? We aren't good enough for League One and to be honest I think we'll struggle in League Two next season. How many players can leave at the end of the season? The gates will be lower, no one will want to come here. That could very well be the end of STFC as we know it.

Call me pessimistic, but unfortunately its the truth.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:37:31 »

Stockport are currently 22nd in Division 4 (League 2!) and if we go down a lot of the better! players will leave and I think we would struggle as well.

Going down, we'd need to come straight back up and build from it. Not always a bad thing as 95-96 showed although we shouldn't have gone down in the first place.

When we got relegated in 2000 I thought we'd be back up in 3 years at the latest. Well it's into the 6th year now and it's only looking one way at the moment and that's down. I do not want Swindon to get stuck down in Div 4 for any length of time. Four years in the early 80's was long enough and our only stint down there so far.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:45:38 »

I have never watched Swindon in the 4th division (league 2)

My first game was 87-88 season against Birmingham City at home, we lost 2-0.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:48:08 »

Neither have I and I'm not looking forward to starting!

It might do us good though, look at Huddersfield and Luton for example..Went down and came back up stronger teams.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:48:45 »

Reg, OST etc will probably be able to tell you lots of stories about those years.

85-86 was excellent, 83-84 wasn't. We finished 17th, and I believe had our lowest ever league attendance of about 1600/1700 against Darlington at home.

Thank god for Lowndes Lambert sponsering the club and wanting a well known mananger, along came Lou and the rest is history.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:51:19 »

I still lie back in my armchair and think about the day we beat Leicester at wembley, was one of the best days of my life.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:52:20 »

distant memory though, we'll never reach those heights again, infact I doubt we'll ever reach the heights of two seasons ago again.

All doom & gloom
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:53:49 »

That was I agree.

Although at 3-3 I was panicking just a tad. Then Steve White wins the penalty, up steps Bodin etc etc. My Dad couldn't bear to watch at that point so had turned round. He only saw it on tv that night.

The 90 match against Sunderland was good as well. We played them off the pitch that day, Denis Smith said afterwards it could have been 6 or 7.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:54:22 »

Quote from: "DV85"
distant memory though, we'll never reach those heights again, infact I doubt we'll ever reach the heights of two seasons ago again.

All doom & gloom

I think with the right manager and players we could be an average championship side, but thats a long way off.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:55:43 »

Quote from: "Ralphy"

All doom & gloom

I think with the right manager and players we could be an average championship side, but thats a long way off.

finance wont let us get anywhere near that position.
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 16:55:56 »

I was there in 1990.

An 8 year old lad but i can remember it well.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 17:03:56 »

Quote from: "Ralphy"

All doom & gloom

finance wont let us get anywhere near that position.

It's hard to imagine us getting there but look at Luton.

They were in a real financial mess a couple of years ago. A new chairman comes in (John Gurney who almost ruined Bedford Rugby club, not a good track record), sack Joe Kinnear, went into admin, fans wouldn't buy season tickets till it was sorted, phone vote for manager which was fixed etc.

And then once they got rid of Gurney and despite the money problems and not a lot of faith in Mike Newell they had a mid table season, stormed the league last year and are now third in League one.

So with the right manager/board/fans etc it is possible.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, October 2, 2005, 17:20:48 »

i think we will really struggle if we go down. in fact i dont think there will even be a Swindon Town if we do. i can't see us surviving with crowds of 3000 and a low budget for players. i can see the stadium plan going tits-up too it doesnt look good
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: