Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best place to get a new pc...  (Read 6013 times)
kizz

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 10:24:30 »

Morning kids,

I'm going to buy a pc sometime between now and the new year... where do you reckon the best place to go is?? I have had a look on the websites of the big name shops (PC World, Tiny etc...) apart from them, the best deals I have found so far are with MeshComputers.com

Anyone got any recommendations?

Help would be appreciated :!:

Wink

iven a level playing field (i.e. enough water so a shark could manouevre, but not so deep that a bear would flounder) who would win in a fight between a bear and a shark?
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 10:35:37 »

I can do you a brand new machine with xp and office 2003, 17" flatscreen monitor, 40 gb hard-drive, 2.6 ghz P4 processor and 256mb of RAM for approx 500 quid.

If you want more memory or disk space it would obviously cost a little more...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Titch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 10:42:39 »

I highly recommend dell.  I would not touch TINY with a barge pole and pc world is ok but the salepeople are the worst on the planet!

Dell are excellent, very good prices, quality and the support is excellent.  We use Dell at work for all our machines and i have a laptop and desktop from them at home.  I can't comment on MESh as i have never used them!

y wings are like a shield of steel!
kizz

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 10:56:01 »

Cheers guys,

STFCFAN - Ideally I want at least a 3.2 ghz / 512 mb ram / 200gb hard drive - and a DVD writer!! Greedy I know, but is that something you could build??

TITCH - Cheers for the advice, I will have a gander at the Dell site. Why would you not touch Tiny though? just curious!

iven a level playing field (i.e. enough water so a shark could manouevre, but not so deep that a bear would flounder) who would win in a fight between a bear and a shark?
Titch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 11:07:38 »

A few reasons really.  Firstly the build quality is/was appalling and the support was shocking.  I have known about 6 people of have bought tiny's and had problems.  This was about a year ago i should say but i can not belive they would have imporved much.  Their deals always look fantastic on paper, plus they charge you extra for the back-up cd's etc!!!!

That is one of the main reasons i recommend dell, their support package is far superior and much cheaper than the likes of pc world and it is next day on-site wheras with pcworld i believe you still have to send the machines away and that takes weeks to get your pc back.

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 11:48:42 »

I'll see what I can do - Obviously I'll throw in a years support aswell.

PC World is full of spotty teenagers who just want to sell. If something goes wrong then they just don't want to know. Microwarehouse.com or dabs.com have fairly reasonable...

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Man of Steel

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, December 8, 2004, 23:58:58 »

How sad, a pc topic gets me registered!

I have worked on and built PCs for years and still do.

This is what I KNOW

Dell are fucking shit. Okay good support and whatever but like most  other companies the equipment is pretty below par. Dell are also very pricey.

MESH are probably the best in terms of build and components. Don't know what their customer support is like, but these are without a doubt the best PCs i have seen. I have many friends with them, that will not touch anything else. -other than something i build!  Wink

My mates require good shit, as they work in visual and audio production environments, and for an out of the box PC that is fairly priced i don't think you can do better.

I recommend a barton core AMD Athlon XP 3200+ or the new AMD 64s.

Pentiums are overpriced and don't offer much wallop for their price. They are also, of course, eaten alive by AMD 64s and when 64bit windows comes out, Intel will strugle to make sales as they don't have a competitive chip at 64bit.

Get an SATA hardrive as well
Titch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, December 9, 2004, 09:24:46 »

Are you trying to say we don't know w3hat we talk about?Huh??

I am a computer programmer and have built loads of pc's.  I can only speak from experience, of course it depends what people want froma machine.  I have found Dell very good and reliable, especially for work-based machines.  Anyway i don't want to talk about pro's and con's of different companies as most are much of a muchness (with exception of tiny and pcworld!!).

I just did not like the way "know" was underlined as if we did not know what we were talking about!

Man of Steel

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, December 9, 2004, 14:13:36 »

Quote from: "Titch"
Are you trying to say we don't know w3hat we talk about?Huh??

I just did not like the way "know" was underlined as if we did not know what we were talking about!

Smiley Na mate, sorry! Wasn't trying to say you don't know shit!

Was just saying that is what i know?! But i can see how it sounds now! Smiley

MESH do use far superior internals to Dell though, and don't rip you off!

I also build computers and have built hundreds, and no longer do it. I still occassionally do it for friends, but as you know, once you have done one, you have done them all. its boring as hell
Titch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, December 9, 2004, 14:17:41 »

no probs, was just in very bad mood this morning!!  I must say i have thought of using MESH before so you would recommend them?  Thats good to know actually cause i do like to get recommended companies rather than take a risk cause there are loads of cowboy computer manufacturers!

mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, December 9, 2004, 14:24:55 »

titch knows fuck all about computers, he is only seven years old and has just learnt to type, his middle name is rangoon and he smells of pears.
McLovin

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, December 9, 2004, 14:37:02 »

:Ride On Fatbury's Lovestick
Titch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, December 9, 2004, 14:37:41 »

Sad  I'll tell my mummy of you!!!!

Piemonte

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, December 9, 2004, 14:40:09 »

quality post mexico! Cheesy
kizz

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, December 9, 2004, 14:52:56 »

Quote from: "mexico red"
titch knows fuck all about computers, he is only seven years old and has just learnt to type, his middle name is rangoon and he smells of pears.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Very good!!  Soapy Tit Wank  :Ride On Fatbury's Lovestick  Soapy Tit Wank

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: