Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mansfield v Swindon Town matchday thread  (Read 10933 times)
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 20:12:02 »

I've always liked Gunning and was happy he was given a chance, and at first thought he was a breath of fresh air with his new ideas and attacking play. But his last few games show he very hit and miss, and really hasn't got a clue !

His set up today was bizzare - Elboozi as a wing back immediately rang alarm bells. He's a great attacking winger, but it was obvious our right sided defence was really going to be a problem - and how that came to pass ! All their attacking play came down that side with Elboozi either awol or ineffective in defence, and Brewitt was soo slow coming over to help. The real worrying thing is that Gunning did nothing to address it, while all the rest of us watching could see it !

Khan was utter dogshit today, how he stayed on for the whole game I'll never know. Brewitt was poor and should'e been replaced by Kokolo, reverting to a back 4.

Could have been 4 down in the first half, but going forward we looked quite threatening, and Elboozi was amazing doing what he's good at ! Nice to see Glatzel and Drinnan get their goals, should boost their confidence. Unfortunately RHM has reverted to his normal self.

An entertaining game, but haven't seen anything to feel we're building for a better future !
In regards to RHM I’m not suprised to see him revert back. Scores 2 goals the other week and probably looked as good as he has since he joined and is rewarded by being dropped for the next 2 games
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 20:23:54 »

Three better players than Kinsella in my opinion on the bench today. Baffling why Khan played the whole game

Kinsella was the best defensive midfielder we'd had since Grant in 19/20.

Inexplicable that Flynn under-used him, opting instead for his kamikaze-ball.

Kinsella was putting together a run of form, when Clem/Kiely/Gunning decided definitively that we are not a serious football club and let him go up the divisions for free.

Absurd to suggest we have anyone better in that role still here.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 20:40:56 »

Is Swindon still twinned with Disney land? How fucking apt.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 20:58:00 »

We played 4 defenders, 2 midfield players & 4 attackers and tried to squeeze them into some weird formation.

The fact that we somehow still managed to make a game of it is madness (albeit largely due to fairly inept finishing by Mansfield in the first 20 mins).

I get this game was a free hit to some extent as nobody expected us to get anything from the game but it would have been good to try out some kind of style/tactics we could use in the future. I really hope we don’t use that again
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 21:11:29 »

With zero expectations today I was felt okay at full time. We started very poorly but grew into the game and it was great as an away fan celebrating 2 equalising goals more than I expected. We went toe to toe with them second half and were still in the game in injury time away at top of the league. Notable mentions for Bycroft (making a few key saves), Glatzel for a superb finish (that a lesser striker would have hit out of the stadium) and a decent second half performance from Drinan with a well taken goal that gives me confidence that he is more than a bargain bucket donkey.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 21:15:36 »

It was not.

We had the RHM shot that really should be a goal.

They had one that was saved onto the post, one that was similar to RHM (very early in the game) and one that the bloke passed it to our defender on the line when he should have put his foot through it.  Then there were some OK chances on top of that, but for both teams.  The second half was more even in terms of scoring opportunities I felt.  The first half was a cricket score waiting to happen - it didn't, it's L2.

In fact, just take the 6-3 for clear cut chances, that's the most accurate reflection of the game.  I said 8-4 was a fair score, so 6-3 is not that far off that.

Well yeah it’s 6-3 if you count all the clear cut chances as certain goals (what is the definition for clear cut anyway?) but you know our keeper (well in fact any keeper) is allowed to make saves….
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 21:16:50 »

Clem, hurry up and sell up🤡
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 21:18:22 »

Why big up McGurk and not play him.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 22:40:46 »

Only need to concede 18 more from the last 9 games and that will be 100 goals conceded this season in all competitions. In the bottom division….

A damning indictment of where we are as a club and the state of this team and ‘management’.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Saturday, March 9, 2024, 23:10:28 »

Inexplicable that Flynn under-used him, opting instead for his kamikaze-ball.

Kinsella was putting together a run of form, when Clem/Kiely/Gunning decided definitively that we are not a serious football club and let him go up the divisions for free.

Absurd to suggest we have anyone better in that role still here.
Oh yeah, I remember everyone saying that when he was here. Typical reassessment of Town players once they leave.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Sunday, March 10, 2024, 00:53:15 »

We played 4 defenders, 2 midfield players & 4 attackers and tried to squeeze them into some weird formation.

The fact that we somehow still managed to make a game of it is madness (albeit largely due to fairly inept finishing by Mansfield in the first 20 mins).

I get this game was a free hit to some extent as nobody expected us to get anything from the game but it would have been good to try out some kind of style/tactics we could use in the future. I really hope we don’t use that again

Our formation and where players played were all wrong today, 4 players playing out of position. Godwin, Elbouzedi, Devoy and Glatzel.
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Sunday, March 10, 2024, 00:55:59 »

He was a 5-6 out of 10, kind of guy at best.
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Sunday, March 10, 2024, 07:25:00 »

Austin said post Harrogate that our squad is better since January - I agree. So why haven’t our results improved? My answer to that would be GG’s tactics.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Sunday, March 10, 2024, 07:48:34 »

Nope - the answer is because we didn’t strengthen the midfield. Back line is marginally better for having McCarthy in there and our attacking options are better.

We still have nothing in the middle.
That’s why games like yesterday become a bit basketbally - end to end. We just can’t stop teams coming at us & that’s a midfield issue.

Even if we packed the midfield with 5 - Khan, Cain, McEachran, Devoy & Aguiar that still doesn’t scream solid does it…

…and like fuck did any of you rate Kinsella when he was here. Most of you thought he was dog shit.
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Sunday, March 10, 2024, 07:53:35 »

Nope - the answer is because we didn’t strengthen the midfield. Back line is marginally better for having McCarthy in there and our attacking options are better.

We still have nothing in the middle.
That’s why games like yesterday become a bit basketbally - end to end. We just can’t stop teams coming at us & that’s a midfield issue.

Even if we packed the midfield with 5 - Khan, Cain, McEachran, Devoy & Aguiar that still doesn’t scream solid does it…

…and like fuck did any of you rate Kinsella when he was here. Most of you thought he was dog shit.

If that’s your point I agree the midfield is poor  - but wasn’t it GG who decided to release Kinsela because he would be behind others - Others who were on the bench yesterday. I also think GG needs to stop persevering with Kahn.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20   Go Up
Print
Jump to: